How gross is tofu?

Options
AmberJslimsAWAY
AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
and what do you do with it?! It's just a bag of sponge... But I want to try to use it in cooking. simple, non-yucky recipes?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You could make a stir fry. The tofu just takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you use, so choose something you like, add a bunch of veggies, and ta-da!
  • ionlyhavesporx
    Options
    I've tried time and time again to like tofu... but I just can't stand it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that tofu basically takes one the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

If you're asking yourself what the point is of cooking with it in the first place...that's a very good question.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love tofu! I love it in a spicy stew or kimchi soup. It goes well with Asian food, if you don't like Asian food..then I don't know what to tell ya.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Non yucky and tofu ? ......hmmmm

Nope .... I can't think of anything
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Ive had it at chinese places, where they just have the little squares, and it's fun to squish against your teeth, but that's the only point I see....
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can add it to smoothies- you wont even taste it in there.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Coat it in cornflower and fry it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't eat raw chicken fresh out of the package, so you gotta look at tofu the same way.

I've had my best success with tofu if I press the moisture out, freeze it, thaw it and marinate it, usually in soy sauce, ginger and lime juice. Then I slice it up and stir fry it with lots of veggies! The freezing gives it a great chewy, toothsome texture.

If you're not into that, it's also tasty if you cut it up, bread the pieces, and bake them as nuggets!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Tofu is great...always drain it for at least 20 minutes before you cook with it. Check out the MFP vegetarian groups for recipes and tofu prep ideas.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Ive had it at chinese places, where they just have the little squares, and it's fun to squish against your teeth, but that's the only point I see....

If you aren't a fan of tofu at a good Chinese restaurant, then it just may not appeal to you at all. There are other good sources of plant protein, if that's your interest. I see no point in trying to cook something which texturally isn't pleasurable to you.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    BAKE IT! It's delicious, and gets very firm. This is taken from the happy herbivore cookbook:

Press your tofu---wrap it in towels and add some weight (a book or a can or two on top of a cutting board for like 20 minutes).
    Preheat your oven to 350.
    Cut up your tofu into 8 strips.
    Brush each side with soy sauce.
    Spray a cooking sheet with spray, lay the tofu on it. Spray the tofu with cooking spray.
    Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn over and bake for another 15 (keep an eye on it).

The outside is tasty and crisp while the inside has a delightful soft texture. Delicious on sandwiches and salads, or thrown into stirfries.
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love tofu....I pat it dry, and then:
    Crumble it into pasta sauce
    Cube and marinade it in any Indian flavoured sauce
    Slice and pan fry with a bit of soy sauce and garlic
    Cube and add to soup
    Crumble into an omelette
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't eat raw chicken fresh out of the package, so you gotta look at tofu the same way.

I've had my best success with tofu if I press the moisture out, freeze it, thaw it and marinate it, usually in soy sauce, ginger and lime juice. Then I slice it up and stir fry it with lots of veggies! The freezing gives it a great chewy, toothsome texture.

If you're not into that, it's also tasty if you cut it up, bread the pieces, and bake them as nuggets!

this.

You have to do the freezing, thawing, pressing if you want to use it in a stir-fry type dish!! Very important! To experience the potential - try the tofu at Pei Wei!!! It's fabulous! Then you'll know what it CAN be if you cook it right!!!

Took me a long time to figure out tofu! We also have a tofu press now, which makes the pressing a lot easier and Earth-friendlier!!!
  • puddintane
    Options
    i love, love, love, tofu!! one of my favorite things to make is a buffalo tofu cheesesteak sandwich!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Pfft! Tofu isn't gross - you just have to find a way to cook it the way you like it :)

There's tons of great recipes out there. I'd just google "tofu recipes" and have a gander. Allrecipes.com usually has good ones. Look for ones with lots of positive ratings.

Befriend the Tofu my dear, you won't regret it!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like to put the little squares on top of my salad at work.

I also like it in miso soup.
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i love, love, love, tofu!! one of my favorite things to make is a buffalo tofu cheesesteak sandwich!!

Yum!!!!!! Sounds dee-lish!!! Where can we find this recipe!? :)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Blech! Absolutely can't stand the stuff. Another reason I'll never go vegan/vegetarian. If it would have to be a source of sustenance, I would rather just die.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Yum!!!!!! Sounds dee-lish!!! Where can we find this recipe!? :)

I second that!... Recipe, please !!! :)