CSAs: Buy organic direct from farmers

Options
Yo, peeps:

In my work with a local farmers market, I'm learning all kinds of good stuff ... including the scoop on CSAs.

CSA programs -- Community Supported Agriculture -- are a way for consumers like us to buy organic and organically-grown produce direct from the farmers who grow it. It's also a great way to support your local food culture.

My hometown, Kansas City, has a CSA Coalition that has all sorts of great info on their site at http://www.kc-csac.org/. I'm betting most cities have similar programs, or at the very least -- farmers from whom you can buy direct.

I didn't used to care much about what I ate, but that's not the case anymore. :) If you share the same commitment to eating well -- meaning no pesticides or herbicides, with food coming from farmers who treat workers fairly -- consider digging around for CSA resources in your own community and post them here.

Eat healthy ... eat local!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love my CSA! I am lucky that I live in New England and my CSA went through December (most stop in October). At the end it was a lot of cold weather crops and worked out fantastic. The bad news is mine doesn't start up again until June. :(
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Love belonging to a CSA!! Fresh, local, organic produce AND I get to try things I might not buy on my own. Great for expanding your healthy eating repertoire!
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get in with a local farm here in the area to buy organic produce. I need to buy a share if they have room for me and then I'll get fresh foods from June-October. Crossing my fingers!! Love that you posted this. It's hard to find organic places near where I live...If I lived further south near Detroit, it would be much easier...
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    so hoping to get in with one that looks fab this summer!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love my CSA, too... and this coming season I'll even know what to do with all the greens! LOL Mine is fabulous in that she offers a limited number of "work shares" - if I log 52 hours through the summer, my share is paid for.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend one near UConn? For veggies and for meat too?
  • lacharp
    Options
    I just joined a CSA! Will start getting produce in April... can't wait!
  • MadIrish
    Options
    I did a CSA last year that was meat and veggies. It was great! This year the farm I am using is doing meat and eggs only so I may pick up a veggie share at another farm as well. Its an awesome source for fresh food and (super important to me) humanely treated animals.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I did this with 3 other neighbors this summer. One person took half a share, and me and another person too 1/4 each. When one of us was gone for the week, we'd give the other person our share that week. This worked out well. Especially because everyone was gone a lot and I wasn't! I was rollin in vegetables! I tried more vegetables than I have even known existed and tried my best to eat them all each week. By the last month I was the only one of the 3 still taking the vegetables, so I got all the winter squash and cooked/froze it. The person that took half a share was a vegetarian. I think she was really a cake-atarian and cookie-tarian after all.

I took advantage of the organic strawberry picking time and made jam for the freezer. And I would have, should have, taken advantage of the tomato deal to put up some tomatos.

Overall it seemed expensive up front, but considering all the food and how many months we got fresh, it was quite a deal. I need a mini chest freezer so I can take advantage of more. I'd also like to get in on some meat from that farmer. Very positive experience! I do not regret it!
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my CSA! I share it with two other people (we get a ton of stuff every week, so there is enough for all five of us total) and it really helps me vary my diet and incorporate fresh veggies/fruit. Just make sure that you can handle planning your menus around what you get that week or it may not work for you.
    Buy local!
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    I love my "farm box" and I supplement it with a trip to the Farmers Market every weekend in the Spring and Summer. Life is much better with fresh, locally produced produceI l love that I am helping with keeping Farms alive around here and fighting against sprawl.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't technically a CSA, but I go through an organization that delivers fresh local produce to my door. We get a big box bi-weekly and they have a winter season. In fact, I get my next box tomorrow! And then in April or May we'll be in regular season until mid-November. I love it!

Anyone in the Richmond, VA area can see if they deliver to their house: http://dominionharvest.com
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    In the Phoenix area, we have MANY resources for CSA's and Farmer's Markets... here is a link I found that lists nearly all the CSA's in our area:

http://phoenix.about.com/od/foodanddrink/ss/Local-Farms-CSA.htm

If you are not interested in making a 6 or 12 week committment, but would like to enjoy the local organic foods... visit one of our local Farmer's Markets... there are a bunch and some of them run through out the year as our planting and harvest seasons are quite lengthy...

http://phoenix.about.com/od/foodanddrink/ss/Phoenix-Farmers-Markets.htm

Happy Harvesting!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We just bought our first CSA share... can't hardly wait until June!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic idea... I would SO work on a farm for fresh produce!:happy:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    We joined an organic co-op and get a box of fresh fruits and veggies weekly in season.
    It's OK; i still like those huge, juicy produce from the market.

Organic is just not as tasty or as nice to look at and it's twice the cost.
    I do it, but am not totally sold.
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    What's a good way to find a local CSA? I've been wanting to join one, but I'm having trouble finding one! I live in the Hampton
    Roads area of Virginia.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love my CSA also. Good stuff.
  • itsablondething
    itsablondething Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of both produce and meat CSAs... a great way to support local farmers. I think it is important to note though, not all CSA are organic, nor do they all produce without chemicals, etc. So, you've gotta read and see what they are doing.

I really enjoyed getting a weekly bag a produce... it is like opening a Christmas present every week when you get to find out what is in there!