Hungry Girl's Cheeseburger Mac Attack

Options
stevwil41
stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
I just tried this for the first time and I really liked it. The Hungry Girl recipes are hit or miss for me and I think she uses entirely too many fat-free things but when I like one of them, I really like it. I originally saw this one Sunday morning on her show. I'm not big on cauliflower so I was skeptical about this but it's pretty awesome. I'll be making it again.

Cheeseburger Mac Attack

1 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole grain)
10 oz raw lean ground turkey
1 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp ketchup
24 oz Green Giant Cauliflower and Cheese Sauce (24 oz is a family size bag, I used the 3 cheese because that's all Wal Mart had)
3 wedges Laughing Cow Light Cream Swiss cheese
salt and pepper

Cook the past very al dente, cooking for about half of the time indicated on the package. Drain and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the turkey, onion powder, and ketchup. Transfer mixture to a crock pot.

Add frozen veggies and cooked pasta and gently stir. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours (I was home this afternoon so I did the high for about 3.5 hours).

Stir mixture and crumble the turkey (I broke up the cauliflower quite a bit as well). Add cheese wedges and stir until evenly distributed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

8 1 cup servings 179 calories 5.75g fat 19g carbs 2 g fiber 3.5g sugars 12.5g protein

Replies

• shemama1
    shemama1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thank you for this recipe. I too am on the fence about HG's recipes. I will add this to my grocery list this week.
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That dose sound really good, however I have never had any luck with Turkey hamburger meet it tastes strange to me like nastey strange but I can eat Turkey bacon. I will have to check it out though Thank you again for sharing
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    thanks for this!
  • stwalsh226
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! Thanks!!
  • AmDurling
    Options
    Bump. I will have to try this.
  • jcbernahl
    jcbernahl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like many of Hungry Girl's recipes but the ones I absolutely can't tolerate are the ones with tofu. I've tried many times but just can't stomach the taste. It's unfortunate because many of her recipes have tofu.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have found with Ground Turkey you just have to use a lot of seasonings... um try to avoid "salt" :)
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    Huh. I don't think many of her recipes have tofu at all and I own 4 of her cookbooks... You can get about 75% of her recipes on hungry-girl.com too.

I've found that her recipes tend to have way too much salt for me so I always doctor it up. Her recipes really teach you more about how to do swaps for favorite recipes. I really love all of her starbucks swaps too.
  • whynotnana
    whynotnana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of Hungry Girl-her 1970's hairstyle drives me crazy. But every now and then she has some good "swaps" As far as Tofu-it is "tasteless" so it is important to use seasoning and it will take on those flavors. It is actually delicious grilled. Look for some recipes on Primal Grill or BBQ University.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    That dose sound really good, however I have never had any luck with Turkey hamburger meet it tastes strange to me like nastey strange but I can eat Turkey bacon. I will have to check it out though Thank you again for sharing
    If you don't like ground turkey just substitute with very low fat ground beef, like a 93/7. It will be a little pricier. I buy mine at Aldi's and it isn't too bad. Also you would have to change the recipe to add the beef so your calorie count will be accurate.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    Bump
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll be emailing this to my man to make us this weekend... Thank you!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Huh. I don't think many of her recipes have tofu at all and I own 4 of her cookbooks... You can get about 75% of her recipes on hungry-girl.com too.

I've found that her recipes tend to have way too much salt for me so I always doctor it up. Her recipes really teach you more about how to do swaps for favorite recipes. I really love all of her starbucks swaps too.

I avoid anything that requires a lot of fat-free this or that and a lot of the stuff just sounds nasty. That being said, I love the different "egg mug" things she does. Also, the double-o-cinnamon apple breakfast bowl is excellent and my favorite easy salmon recipe of all time is one of hers. I can't remember the name but you cook a piece of salmon, 2 pineapple rings, a bit of teriyaki sauce and sweet chili sauce and a dash of red pepper in a foil pack. I absolutely love that stuff!
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
    14207131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I avoid anything that requires a lot of fat-free this or that and a lot of the stuff just sounds nasty. That being said, I love the different "egg mug" things she does. Also, the double-o-cinnamon apple breakfast bowl is excellent and my favorite easy salmon recipe of all time is one of hers. I can't remember the name but you cook a piece of salmon, 2 pineapple rings, a bit of teriyaki sauce and sweet chili sauce and a dash of red pepper in a foil pack. I absolutely love that stuff!

Agreed with all. Not a fan of lots of HG recipes, but some have been lifesavers. (Well, cocktail recipes! :drinker: ) But this Cheeseburger Mac Attack looks worth a try. Thanks for posting!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump