HELP! Cutting Onions makes me cry....

Options
All this good home cooking is great except that I HATE cutting onions

Does anyone have any tips for onion cutting without the tears?

Thanks in advance....

PS Fitness Magazine's January issue has some excellent recipes!

Replies

• eamaiorano
    Options
    I heard that if you put the onion in the freezer for a few minutes before cutting it it reduces the tears. Also try to focus on breathing through your mouth rather than through your nose.
    Hope that helps :)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I heard that if you put the onion in the freezer for a few minutes before cutting it it reduces the tears. Also try to focus on breathing through your mouth rather than through your nose.

^^^They beat me to it.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You can also buy chopped frozen onions... no tears! :D
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I bought a small cheap (about twelve dollars) food processor that I use just for chopping onions. It's great. You can get them anywhere like walmart or target.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wear sunglasses. I look ridiculous, but it works for me!
  • Blugal1
    Options
    The only thing I use the Slap Chop for. No more tears!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep - a slap chop or similar food chopper works great, chops it fast & no tears.

That's the only thing I miss about wearing contacts - they blocked the onion fumes so I never cried no matter how I chopped my onions! But Lasik was totally worth it. :tongue:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Vidalia or sweet onions are milder and probably won't make you cry.

Also . . . I read, years ago, in the book LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE, about putting the first slice of onion on your head. Now, keep in mind this is a novel, however it discusses cooking . . . so I tried it and it worked.

Now I always do that when chopping yellow, white or red onions. Remember to take it off your head though -- I've found it on my pillow before. ha!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    It's also important to use a REALLY sharp knife and to just chop, NOT use a sawing motion. Using a back-and-forth motion releases more of the molecules/oil/whatever that irritates your eyes. Just use one swift motion and it'll be a lot less painful! :)

A food processor is also great, haha.
  • VickiWillis1951
    Options
    Try holding the onion under running water for a few seconds before you slice into it. I agree with the other postings about using a chopper....great little investment for the kitchen! Good luck!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    have someone else cut them
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Tip from hubby: Try using a very sharp filet knife, something with a very thin blade. Don't use a serated knife.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I wear - I kid you NOT - snow goggles.

I look like some kind of half-man-half-insect in the kitchen cutting onions.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I look like a fool, but I wear swimming goggles.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    raw onions make me gag..cant chew them..i just throw them up..yuck..i only eat onions i cant taste like in salsa..other than that if the onion went extinct i wouldnt care..smells like body odor anyways..now GARLIC is the bomb :)
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Chew gum while cutting the onions.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    put it in your fridge 10 minutes before you cut it
    use a very sharp knife
    chew gum
    and if all else fails do what i do............. ASK YOUR HUSBAND ;)
  • kassie78
    Options
    Hello! I have a really good tip that I use all the time whenever I am cutting onions. When you cut into an onion if you put it straight under running water this washes away the sting and I promise you won't ever cry when cutting onions again. Once you have cut a few slices pop it under the water again as it seems to be the "juice" that seeps out of the onion that is the stinging part so if you wash that away it won't make your eyes water ever again. I promise it works! I do it all the time and I don't ever cry when cutting onions anymore. My mum taught me that little tip!:happy:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

^^^They beat me to it.

This
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just got a slice o matic one of those as seen on TV things, that chops them into neat little thin slices, and you can choose the thickness the only thing is I cant get the Juliann blade to work properly Oh well guess I'll just dice them or have the hubby do it! lol