HELP! Cutting Onions makes me cry....

Options

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sharper knife.

Like someone else said, don't saw. chop.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Buy a food chopper. You have to cut them into quarters to put them in the chopper, but it's way better than dicing them by yourself.
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wear sunglasses. I look ridiculous, but it works for me!

I wear swimming goggles! hahaha Even more ridiculous, but it totally works.
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    cold onions less tears. cut the onion in a pot or bowl full of water (cut it under water). and when your done, rub your hands on the stainless steel sink - it gets rid of the smell on your hands. they even sell little stainless steel bars that have the word "SOAP" engraved on them to use for rubbing on your hands after cutting onions.
  • jhunderman
    Options
    Store onions in the fridge. I didn't believe that onions actually DID make people cry until I moved out of my mom's house and kept the onions on the counter.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sunlasses do the trick for me, and then I get to look cool too! :glasses:
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Some where I heard that burning a candle near your cutting board while chopping onions helps. I do this most of the time, sometimes it seems to help. And if it doesnt hey at least the onion smell is offset by a nice candle! :D
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hold an unlit sulfur match between your teeth.
    I didn't believe it would work...but it does!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    i don't know if this is a mexican thing but if you cry during cutting onions it means you're a jealous person.. hahahah. random, i know.
  • lsminkey
    Options
    i use swimming goggles too. i look stupid, but it's better than crying!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I always give my onions a quick rinse, and then I try to cut them up as quick as possible. I try not to talk or open my mouth.

I tend to just cook with larger pieces because I hate cutting them into little juicy bits.

I also love the idea of buying a frozen bag of them whenever possible.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I've heard holding an unlit match stick between your teeth really helps.

I've yet to test this theory LOL
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    might sound silly but pull up a chair and sit down...i swear the stuff must rise cause it works for me everytime!!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Supposedly there's a certain way you cut it that doesn't cause tears. I watched it on some cooking show. You cut it in a way where you never actually cut the bottom... where the root thingy is. I can't explain what I watched but try youtube...How to cut an onion
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i hate cutting onions too but love the flavor of onion. i buy dried minced onion and use that in my food ..its sooo much easier
  • skizzerbizkit
    skizzerbizkit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I cut dozens of onions at work. I've found the best thing for me to do is put them in cold water right away when you slice them. It keeps the painful stuffies from going up into the air and into your eyes. Idk if it affects their nutritional value, but for me it's worth it.
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    store onions in the fridge and it'll be so much better
  • watsonlc
    Options
    swimming goggles all the way
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I wear sunglasses. I look ridiculous, but it works for me!

lol I was going to say something similar in that I wear my reading glasses whilst chopping onions, it works :D
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wear - I kid you NOT - snow goggles.

I look like some kind of half-man-half-insect in the kitchen cutting onions.

I wear my desert goggles....they're usually reserved for trips to Iraq, but they work in the kitchen just as well!