HRM - Logging Calories Burned

Options
Guys with HRMs, do you minus your BMR calories out of your total workout calories if you workout for an hour or more?

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I too would like to know!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Don't ask anyone on here. I got totally slammed for this by some "Pals" on the forum who thought I was being stupid! Friendly eh!:grumble:

Still, no one really answered my question, so I am still interested too.

I still think you need to and so only count the period of time my heart rate was above my normal everyday one, which is about 80+. I know it is not "scientific" but it is better than ogling them all, eating them back and not losing (Which was happening to me)

xx
  • EmiliaWhite
    Options
    I'm gonna bump this topic on up, because I'm curious about this same issue, and it doesn't look like anyone has given a satisfactory answer to it lately!

Hopefully somebody out there has an idea? Or at least an opinion?
  • Cathnger
    Options
    I dont have a HRM but I am seriously considering one. I would say take note 1 day of how many calorie's you burn doing nothing or sedentary (whatever you do most of the time) If that says I had burned 100 calorie's in 1 hour (purely speculation these figures are) 100 cals / by 60 minutes = 1.66 cals burned per minute. So if I done a 20 minute work out and HRM said I burned 300 calorie's I would then use my normal burn rate of 1.66 cals per min x it by 20 minutes = 33.2 calories (approx. how many calories my body would have burned if I was just doing my normal thing/routine and not exercising. So then deduct 33.2 calories from 300 that HRM said = 266.8 Calories burned.

This is purely speculation and my opinion and how I would record things! I hope this may help some of you.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just use my the number my HRM gives me when I workout. I don't include extra time after I'm off the treadmill for my heartrate to get back down either. To each their own though.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've never subtracted it.