A question for BIG eaters.

Options
2»

Replies

• papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    I started logging in my dinner right after breakfast. That way I know how many calories I get to play with for the rest of the day until dinner. It helps me not feel deprived.

See, I have no idea what dinner will even be until my wife calls and says what time she will be home.....
  • papa3x
    Options
    I think you'll be less sad once you figure out how to get the most bang for your buck-- ie: choosing foods that fill you up physically & emotionally and ending with a calorie surplus (still in the green) by the end of the day.
    Whole, unprocessed foods tend to have this effect :)

I happen to have 45 POUNDS... yes POUNDS, fresh produce in my home... I eat very little processed food.... like a bite hre or there. :)
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I put all my food in for the whole day either in the morning or a day or two in advance. Then i never have to see what's remaining. My fear is i would eat too much throughout the day, then get to dinner and be out of calories. i like to see how i can work it to get the most food with the calories i've got. Works for me every day!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I started logging in my dinner right after breakfast. That way I know how many calories I get to play with for the rest of the day until dinner. It helps me not feel deprived.

See, I have no idea what dinner will even be until my wife calls and says what time she will be home.....

You could plan dinner the night before with her and ask for her support in that so you can track/plan ahead. Sometimes I have to plan ahead if I'm stuck at school all day! I would talk to her and see if you can come up with your own plan for the next day. It might make life easier. I sometimes get that running out of calories problem if I don't plan or at least think about my choices the night before.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    OK, so far so good... losing weight. But prior to MFP, I was eating 3000 calories a day and maintaining my fatness. But MFP is working so it's all good..... except I get a little sad when I see only 1100 calories remaining a day after I finish lunch.... and then 800 calories after mid day snack.... and then 300 after dinner..... you get the point.

Does anybody else get a little disheartened when you see the daily calories remaining?

I gotta admit, if I have almost no calories left in the day, I sometimes go workout so that I can have another snack ( healthy one ),

You "only" have 1100 calories left after lunch? Rationally/metabolically, I understand why your get so many calories, but at the same time, my daily allowance is 1340 to lose 1 pound a week, so I have a hard time feeling for you. I miss the days when I could just eat a little healthier and not really have to watch portions to lose weight (you know, the good old days, when I didn't have to weigh my carrots). Then again, I don't miss being that weight, so I guess it balances out.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh totally - i was eating 3000 cals daily and maintaining my fatness too. And yes, once in a while i miss just sitting down and eating whatever i want. It wasn't like i was eating loaves of bread and gallons of ice cream...but poor food choices and eating out let the day tally up super quickly!

I have learned that manypeople who get down to 1200 or so calories per day do exercise more so they can eat more, i think that's part of the recipe for success...you can indulge sometimes but know it means a workout at the gym, or an extra 20 mins on the treadmill, etc...don't feel bad about that!

It's a struggle, but it's a lifestyle that we have to have if we want to be healthier. I think with time, it becomes pretty natural...my days of not overeating are way more often than days of old. I'm trying to focus on healthier choices, but am far from perfect because i do eat "conveniently" a lot (processed)....but you know, when your day is full of veggies and whole grains and protien, hunger is kept at bay a lot easier! You will get there!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Maybe you could plan some stuff out with your wife a few days ahead of time so you know what you'll have for dinner? Or modify what you're eating if it's too many calories. Make whatever dinner is into a salad and put it on a bed of lettuce?
  • papa3x
    Options
    OK, so far so good... losing weight. But prior to MFP, I was eating 3000 calories a day and maintaining my fatness. But MFP is working so it's all good..... except I get a little sad when I see only 1100 calories remaining a day after I finish lunch.... and then 800 calories after mid day snack.... and then 300 after dinner..... you get the point.

Does anybody else get a little disheartened when you see the daily calories remaining?

I gotta admit, if I have almost no calories left in the day, I sometimes go workout so that I can have another snack ( healthy one ),

You "only" have 1100 calories left after lunch? Rationally/metabolically, I understand why your get so many calories, but at the same time, my daily allowance is 1340 to lose 1 pound a week, so I have a hard time feeling for you. I miss the days when I could just eat a little healthier and not really have to watch portions to lose weight (you know, the good old days, when I didn't have to weigh my carrots). Then again, I don't miss being that weight, so I guess it balances out.

You probably never weighed 326 pounds..... ( now 269 )
  • teacosygirl
    Options
    just wondering can you still eat unhealthy things, such as a chocolate bar or a biscuit , if you stay within your calorie limit for the day ?
  • katsmit2
    Options

I like this - I think I'll start doing this also.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Check into intermediate fasting. Its good for guys who like to eat big and diet.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You probably never weighed 326 pounds..... ( now 269 )

I'm 5'7, my high weight in my medical records (didn't own a scale back then) is 238. The estimated maintenance calories there is around 2300, not 3000, but now low either.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to log all of my food for the day while I eat breakfast. That way, I can space everything out evenly. If I wasn't using this site, I could very easily eat twice as many calories as I should. I love food!

This. I do this, and it helps immensely! I plan my whole day, and know what I have left if I want a snack or a treat. I also log my exercise in first thing, even though I never do it until after work. If it's in my diary, I feel like I MUST do it, and am more likely to follow through. That way I can really gauge my calories for the day.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    After awhile you do start to crave less food. Food is like a drug, once you tell yourself you can't have it, or if you suddenly consume less your mind plays mind games with you. I work out regularly so I can eat more, but after awhile you will start to enjoy working out. It is a lifestyle change, if it was easy then it would not be as rewarding to meet your goal.

Some little things that help me are chewing gum, drinking water, and just remembering that you are taking it 1 day at a time. Tomorrow you will wake up and have a full day's worth of calories again, its all psychological ;)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Big eater too. And I am a night eater. My maintenance is 3000 calories/day. I normally diet on about 2000 cals/day. If I don't have 1000 calories when I sit down at the dinner table I get nervous A decent size meal for me has at least 600 calories and I'm much happier with 800. Then there is at least one, if not two snacks before bedtime.

I found the best way for my to mange it is not to eat much in the daytime, when I can stay busy. I try to keep breakfast and lunch at less than 400 calories, then one afternoon snack at about 200 calories. That get's me to the supper mark with 1000 calories (assuming I don't exercise)
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was so sad today when I found myself hungry after my afternoon snack b/c I knew I didn't have more calories for a bigger snack based on what I planned on for dinner.

I didn't get to eat a roll with dinner. :sad:
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love to eat, especially in the evening. I save at least 800-900 calories for dinner and snacks after. So worth it.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    I had a 800 calorie dinner last night and I was stuffed. I don't know how you guys can do a 1000+ calories. My portions have got so small over the past 3 months, I cannot take big meals anymore. I even had to cut down on my exercise because I cannot eat the calories.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had a 800 calorie dinner last night and I was stuffed. I don't know how you guys can do a 1000+ calories. My portions have got so small over the past 3 months, I cannot take big meals anymore. I even had to cut down on my exercise because I cannot eat the calories.

Well, I'm jealous. I have played with my diet enough to know that I can eat about 3300 calories per day and not gain weight.But if I was left to my own devices at all meals I would eat an easy 4K. Only by playing numbers games early in the day can I keep my calorie count low enough to lose or maintain without too much hunger.

I'm sure we are to some extent wired differently. My signal for fullness does not come on quickly. I ate and would continue eating until the food was gone and still be hungry. ninety minutes later would be when I got that stuffed feeling. I have learned to wait at least one hour after eating what I think is an appropriate sized meal before eating any more.

My wife, OTOH, goes from wanting to continue to eat to being full within a couple of bites. She stops eating mid-plate and can't eat anymore.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options

Well, I'm jealous. I have played with my diet enough to know that I can eat about 3300 calories per day and not gain weight.But if I was left to my own devices at all meals I would eat an easy 4K. Only by playing numbers games early in the day can I keep my calorie count low enough to lose or maintain without too much hunger.

I'm sure we are to some extent wired differently. My signal for fullness does not come on quickly. I ate and would continue eating until the food was gone and still be hungry. ninety minutes later would be when I got that stuffed feeling. I have learned to wait at least one hour after eating what I think is an appropriate sized meal before eating any more.

My wife, OTOH, goes from wanting to continue to eat to being full within a couple of bites. She stops eating mid-plate and can't eat anymore.

I use to be that way. I would eat eat and eat some more. The key is veggies. I would eat an insane amount of veggies at dinner to keep from eating so many calories. You can have a pound of tri tip or a half a pound with 10 carrots and still eat less calories. More food makes you feel fuller. My rule of thumb is half a plate of veggies then teh rest of protein and carbs. That is how I overcame the huge meals.

Last nights dinner was 6oz Samon, 3 large carrots, 1/2cup of corn, protein powder mixed with 2 cups of fat free milk. It was 750 calories or something like that.