How gross is tofu?

Options

Replies

• KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I like it. Yes, it does take on flavors you cook it in. I make a breakfast tofu scramble. It has the texture of scrambled eggs. I buy firm, drain, pat a little with a paper towl, cut in cubes and add a little olive oil to my skillet, add whatever you like -- cumin, salt, pepper, onion, garlic... I cook for a few minutes, I like it a little browned, add some soy sauce if you like.... I then add diced zucchini and yellow squash, cook until tender. Pull from the heat, add diced fresh tomatoes, top with feta cheese and enjoy.
    My kids eat it up too.

If you have a good blender, buy soft or silken soy and you can add it for protein to your smoothie, makes it creamy and you can't taste it.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think the stuff is aweful.. I'm a texture eater on top of it... It's aweful...
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    i love tofu <3 Google recipes and choose one that sounds good.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I have no idea what you've eaten in the past, but it can't be the tofu I am eating...
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ummm...tofu isn't gross at all; it's a blank canvas. I'm vegan, and make tofu scrambles every morning for breakfast with seasoning and vegetables. You can cook it however you like, and it takes on the flavor of anything and everything. It's great for substitutions in recipes, and it's really high in protein.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the other posters have said...and I also think that there is an acquired taste and appreciation for tofu. I have found that the brand can matter somewhat. My favorite tofu is the Wildwood high protein super firm tofu. It's just that...super firm, it's easy to cook with with very little manipulation like freezing and thawing. But I do usually marinate it, at least for a few minutes. I have also liked some West Soy baked tofu's,...the Thai peanut one is pretty good, even just cut up and put on a salad. you might try these as gateway products. lol. Also try making the bits smaller so they are easier to eat when you're getting used to it, and don't over do it with a lot of tofu at once. Start with just a few bits in a dish and gradually increase the amount as you get used to it. I eased my way in to the tofu thing and now I really enjoy it and could eat it a lot more than I actually do. I hope you gain a taste and appreciation for tofu!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    You could make a stir fry. The tofu just takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you use, so choose something you like, add a bunch of veggies, and ta-da!

this. it's pretty bland. Add sauce or spices for flavor.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Sorry but that stuff is absolutely disgusting........yuck!!!!!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Grill it until it's crispy outside and creamy inside.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tofu! :love: I think it's delicious and I love the texture. I stir fry it, put it in soups, blend silken tofu into smoothies, skewer and broil it, grill it until the outside is crispy, the possibilities are endless! It takes on the flavor of whatever you put it with so you can put it into any kind of dish.
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why anyone eats the stuff gross!!!!! not to mention its actually not all that good for you its basically a filler if genetically processed crap
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Tofu is awesome! the easiest thing to make is scrambled tofu.--tumeric and tofu in a skillet. boom. tastes/looks like eggs. add some nutritional yeast and seasonings (such as salt & pepper & sriracha)

=)

why not just eat eggs????
  • spookystitches
    spookystitches Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. It really does take the taste of whatever you cook it with, so try to combine it into something you know you like, maybe?

Also I don't know if anyone else mentioned (I'm being lazy right now) but there are different consistencies. If texture is an issue for you, try out another type. There's soft, medium, firm, and extra firm.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    and what do you do with it?! It's just a bag of sponge... But I want to try to use it in cooking. simple, non-yucky recipes?
    Put it in MISO SOUP with seaweed..................................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mdailey93
    Options
    I've only ever had tempeh, which I think is like tofu. And it was cooked in teriyaki sauce. It was delicious.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Tofu is awesome! the easiest thing to make is scrambled tofu.--tumeric and tofu in a skillet. boom. tastes/looks like eggs. add some nutritional yeast and seasonings (such as salt & pepper & sriracha)

=)

why not just eat eggs????

Um, maybe some people don't want to eat animal products? Watch the movie 'A delicate balance' if you want to know why
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Tofu is delicious fried or in soup!! I LOVE it in kimchi soup :) try it out in korean food if you can!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    and what do you do with it?! It's just a bag of sponge... But I want to try to use it in cooking. simple, non-yucky recipes?
    Put it in MISO SOUP with seaweed..................................
    [

MMMM miso soup with tofu~~ Agreed.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my husband and i shake-and-bake it a lot! we get extra firm, and just throw the whole package into the freezer, and after it's frozen, we put it in the fridge (so we might throw it in the fridge in the morning, and it should be done or mostly-done by dinner-time-ish).
    freezing tofu makes it have a firmer texture -- and makes it easier to drain, because when we do it this way, we don't press it with teatowels and colanders and the weight of cans of beans or anything like that -- we just squeeze it with our hands, over the sink, like a sponge.
    once no more water squeezes out of it, we cut it into strips or blocks or triangles or whatever shape we feel like. then we coat it in barbecue sauce, and then in the shake-n-bake stuff (i think we use "extra crispy" because it doesn't have meat flavorings in it), and then we stick it in the toaster oven! i like mine crispier/browner than my husband likes his, so your personal preference may dictate exactly how long to leave it in for.

it's amazing. we eat it by itself, we put it on sandwiches, we mix it in to other stuff... hope you like it :)
  • Spethyo
    Spethyo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Tofu it's because of the texture. There is no taste in and of itself. It's just a flavor sponge. I like it because I cook it in a sauce I like. However, I find that because of the absorbing nature of the tofu, I use more sauce than I would with, say, chicken. So there isn't much of a calorie saving thing going on. I just use chicken and less sauce.