At what point does it cease to be a plateau?

Options
Hey Everybody.

I have been working on losing weight for about a year now. I started at 260 last January. Through changes in my diet and exercise routine, I lost about 50 lbs by August. Since then I have gained and re-lost the same 3 lbs about 25 times. I never drop below 210 and never rise above 213. I have upped the amount of exercise I do and cut back the calories even a bit more than was recommended for my height/weight/activity level. I carefully measure and track my food and exercise but still to no avail. I'm stuck. I understand that plateaus happen but 6 months is a bit ridiculous. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• VinVenture
    Options
    What are you eating? What's your routine? How did you up the exercise? With this little info it's really hard to tell.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I feel your pain, i've been stuck since July. Same thing losing the same 2lbs over and over and over again!!! :angry:
    Just started interval and circuit training plus upped my calories and fingers crossed things seem to be moving slowly now!!
  • TraceyDonna
    Options
    Me too!!! Not for quite as long, but have certainly been stuck within the same 2lbs since Christmas. Grr!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Actually...eat more...you are probably not eating enough if you have cut back your calories and upped your exercise...since it is obviously not working doing that, try eating more...
    You might gain a bit for the first week or 2, so give it time for your body to adjust...
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am in the same boat... stuck with the same problem.

I have been told to shock my system, so I ate some bread over the weekend but nothing has worked yet... I also added some crispers to increase the shock but nothing....

I don't understand either.... :)
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat approx 1400 calories a day, down from about 1600, a fairly varied diet, heavy on vegetables and lean protein. I was doing training for a 5k 3 days a week and some basic weight training 2 days a week. Now I do more intense circuit training 4 days a week and run about 3 miles 2 days a week.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I eat approx 1400 calories a day, down from about 1600, a fairly varied diet, heavy on vegetables and lean protein. I was doing training for a 5k 3 days a week and some basic weight training 2 days a week. Now I do more intense circuit training 4 days a week and run about 3 miles 2 days a week.

Try eating 1700 or 1800. :-)
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing the same thing. Very frustrating. I am upping my calories and hoping for the best. I keep telling myself that my self worth is not regulated by the scale.... but that only takes me so far!! I have increased my calories to 1800 and for the most part I eat clean.
    All this is being done in the pursuit of health, although a slim toned body would be the icing on the cake!
  • linds22181
    Options
    i'm the same and it really disheartens you i would love the answer too, i'm recommended eating 1300 which seems loads i swim twice a week, run, do aerobics and a fitness dvd to vary the exercise but to no avail those scales aren't budging :( i need help!!!! eating more calories scares me and i'm not really sure whats the best to eat to fill me up please help xx
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been faithful to Jillian michaels workout videos...

tomorrow I am changing.... going to start the P90X..... hoping the switch will start something...

I have been swaying on this for a bit... between p90 or go to zumba...
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'd try upping your calories. maybe your body is scared to lose more!

I know it sounds counter-productive but plenty of people on MFP swear by it! worked for me in a few short-term scenarios (I'm sort of stuck now too but even eating over my BMR I haven't GAINED anything, still waiting on results but not taking any steps backward)
  • teamsaris
    Options
    I would recommend more calories as well...but 6 months is a CRAZY long time to be stuck. Might not hurt to talk to your doctor as well. You may have an imbalance that is holding you back behind the scenes :)

Good luck!!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

and to just jump to the meat of it:

"The last 10 [lbs] may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed. "

I see you have more than 10lbs to lose, but same idea. your body is panicked and wants to hold on to it because that's just where it's been comfortable. :)
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everybody that has posted. I did try upping the calories for about a month in november and stayed right around 213. Dropped back down to 1500 calories a day and got back to 210 and no luck losing since. I even tried what one of my friends calls the P90X of eating. I would eat 1500 calories on monday, 1600 on tuesday, 1300 wednesday, 2000 thursday, 1200 friday, 1500 saturday and 1400 sunday. Still nothing. I went to my doctor for testing about 6 months ago and get physicals and blood work done regularly for work. I think my body just wants to be fat sometimes.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I suspect this: lack of exercise intensity, eating junk and not enough calories.

And I hear a grain of excuse making..."my body just wants to be fat" - careful.
    That's what quitters say right before they give up.
    Hang In There!
    And open your diary....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Try eating 1700 or 1800. :-)

This. Eat more to burn more.
    Or
    Eat at maintenance for 2-4 weeks and that will break the plateau.

MaxLife and I must get up and have coffee at the same time every day!
  • Collibeth
    Collibeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with being sure your not putting your body into a "starvation" mood by decreasing your calories. If you have ^ exercise, you need those calories. If your body if not getting in what it needs, it will store (aka fat) more. It is a delicate balance. If you have a nutritionist available to talk to, might be worth it. They can do some calculations for you.

As far as the work out, try changing things up and keeping it fresh so your body gets challenged.

Good luck! You will get there!!! This is just a little bump in the road. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. I cut the calories to 1200-1400 per day and lost 60 between Feb and Aug 2011. As I upped my exercise to 6 days a week, I plateaued in August. I upped the calories to 1600 and in combination with a knee injury, gained 6 or 7 pounds. I started heavy strength training (8 weeks with the knee surgery stuff), and still gained. I upped the calories to 1800 and still gained. I upped them to 2000 per day and leveled off. I exercise 6 days a week, 3 cardio classes (a different mix each time), and 3 days running or ice skating. I spend 6-7 hours a week exercising.

Finally, I looked more closely at the macros and discovered with all the fruit and veggies, I was eating 2:1 carbs to protein. I changed it to closer to 1:1 and lost 3 1/2 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

I still have 30 or so to go, and I am sure it takes a bit to get the last off, but protein seems to be my friend.

Good luck.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Like many people on here have already said. Up those calories! :D