Freezable and/or Quick Breakfasts

Options
Nikki582
Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
So here's the deal. I'm up at 4.45, Gym at 5, Home by 6, Throw down a protein shake, Get 3 lunches ready (mine + the kids), get 2 kids plus me ready for school/daycare/work.. in the car and on the road at 7.30.

I'm finding it really really hard to have breakfast in all of this, mainly because I'm on the go AND following a workout + protein shake I'm not hungry until about the time I'm on the commute to work (at which point i pull into Maccas for a Sausage & Egg McMuffin - not a good choice)

What can I have either on the road or when I get to work that is really really quick.. I'm thinking freezable so I can throw it in the microwave.

I'm considering a meal replacement shake/liquid breakfast for this purpose, but I worry it won't keep me full.. I don't want it for low cal reasons, just for.. something for sustenance. (and a little extra protein won't go astray)

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    wow you have one busy morning ... how about some microwavable porridge... throw it in the microwave - 2 mins later done.. or you can buy pre-made pots of porridge you just fill with hot water and you could kind of eat it on the go or u could eat whilst getting ready .. or how about frozen berries and yoghurt? ... hmmm im trying to think of something you could eat on the go .... fruit ? lol...
  • popchex
    popchex Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Louise has a good point. I've seen a recipe somewhere for baked oats for the week, that you let cool, then slice into breakfast size portions, and then you can just microwave it through the week.

Other than that, make an extra kid-lunch for yourself, or cheese and fruit to munch on in the car?
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

6 - Put pans in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, give or take a few.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

Sorry this is so vague, but I hope it helps!
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

awesome idea!!!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas, I'm not -much- of a porridge eater - I eat it, that's cool.. but not in huge amounts.. eggs however.. :p

opaquewhite - not vague, awesome idea - I wasn't sure that they were freezable.. but now that I do, I'll be making!!

More ideas welcome, please! :D
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On the mornings I am running late I have a protien shake. Usually around 7:30, and it keeps me full until about 10... just in time for a mid morning snack.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bump - that quiche recipe sounds brilliant! I keep porridge sachets at work and can microwave them. Otherwise, a slice of toast and a piece of cheese does well for me. I also have a recipe for Oaty pancakes, which could conceivaby be frozen and toasted - a more palatable form of porridge - but I've never tried freezing them. I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know how I get on.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I will be trying this one ~ I use one of those bagel flats (100 cals) and take a microwaveable bowl the same size as one, spray the bowl with Pam, scramble one egg in the bowl & microwave for one minute. I put whatever veggies or mushrooms on hand in the egg before hitting the microwave, pop it out on to the bagel, top with banana peppers or jalapenos, wrap & go. I can eat it while I am driving to work & the whole sandwich is around 200 calories. Takes about 2 minutes tops, and it's better than anything from a drive thru! :flowerforyou:
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is my standard for when I have to get up at 0300 for work at 0400. Breakfast Cookie:

http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/
  • mummyv811
    Options
    Bump for later! That recipe look so delicious!!!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump - love the quich and breakfast cookie!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You could make lunches the night before to shave a little time off in the morning, and as far as breakfast....those quiches look amazing, I usually hard boil a bunch of eggs at the beginning of the week!
  • orchidsand
    Options
    When I have to eat on the run (like days I have to go into the office), I puts some greek yogurt, & some of my homemade ganola into a small plastic container, then mix it around and top with berries...on goes the cover and into my lunch bag it goes & I m off.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump for the quiche, brilliant idea! I'll be making these on Sunday.
  • foxyfitlady
    Options
    sounds yummy!!
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    I am not a huge breakfast person. I have my shake when I get up but when I get to work I am hungry. So when I make my lunch in the am I pack one of the following items to nibble on. 1) 1Tbsp hummus with some rice crackers. 2) 1 Tbsp Peanut butter and an apple. or 3) a serving of nuts (any kind I have at the time) Usually one of these will keep me full to lunch
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    This is my standard for when I have to get up at 0300 for work at 0400. Breakfast Cookie:

http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/

Have just dipped in further to this blog - there seem to be some great recipes there. Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I make a pile on pancakes on Sunday. I use whole grain mix and add to it. Sometimes I use grated apples and oatmeal. This week it was pumpkin spice. They came out light and fluffy! I actually eat them cold out of the fridge. (I've even frozen them.) Sometimes I put a little natural PB on them. They don't even need syrup.

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes 1 c pancake mix,
    1 egg,
    1/2 c canned pumpkin,
    1/2 c milk. (add more or less depending on prefered consistency)
    lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumkin spice

Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
    2 c pancake mix,
    1 c milk
    1 c grated apple
    1 c quick oats oatmeal

Tip: Let oats sit in milk for 10 mix, then mix like regular pancakes.

Depending the pancake mix that you use, it's between 100 - 200 calories per large pancake. (Not too bad if you don't add syrup.)
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Love this idea! :flowerforyou: