Another non-believer of "starvation mode"?

Options

Replies

• lh12xx
    lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm for or against, I was just broadcasting someone else's opinion.

I guess I'll find out for myself when I hit a plateau :)
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    All I know is, if I ate 1200 calories a day my hunger pangs would kill me.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    After 31 months and losing 295 lbs. and all the trial and error that I have went through and I am speaking from my own experience of course there is such a think as creating such a huge deficit between your diet and exercise that your body responds by slowing down your metabolism and start retaining nutrition that you are feeding it because with the deficit you are giving it , it has no idea when the next meal is going to come hence the term starvation mode effect get thrown around. I don't necessarily like the term in its general form but the effects are real.. believe me..... I have lived and learned the hard way. just my 2 cents........

First well done on your weight loss! AMAZING!

I've heard a lot about starvation mode, it seems to make sense, as the body is very good at survival. I have kept my calories at 1200 and have eaten at least part of my exercise calories back. I'm only a few weeks in so I am listening to a lot of advice on here!
    I have to say looking at your weight loss, you obviously have this down, and any advice you give will definitely be top of my list!!!
    xx

Thank You, I too would have to say that reading an article or a website isn't quite the same as living through it and I am not saying what has worked for me is the end all be all but I do know that I have been through about every scenario possible over the last 32 months. After I was able to walk again and support my own weight my exercise kept increasing but my mentality to eat more didn't. I thought the bigger the deficit of calories the more weight I could lose. So I got to the point where I was consuming under my BMR and burning well over 1000 calories a day and I now know because of this my body started cannibalize muscle as well as my remaining fat stores and it cost me alot of time and wasted energy cause I hit plateau's like crazy and really screwed up my metabolism. It took me awhile to wrap my head around the fact I either had to exercise less or eat more... Once I figured this out though it was lights on for my body, My current BMR is 2450 and I split train now most days and now consume 3200-3400 calories a day (I eat back 85% of my exercise calories) and am losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week weightloss. So I am firmly in the camp of believing in what starvation can do to your body if you don't follow a proper caloric deficit.......
  • naplidon96
    Options
    the "Starvation Mode" IS BULLSH*T! There has been studies done to show if you "stop yourself from eating" you cannot GAIN weight simply because your not EATING anything to make u gain! Think about it, how do all anorexic people stay skinny? They dont eat, and when they dont eat, they LOSE weight, not GAIN. Not saying this is right to do, just saying the truth
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    EdD,

Just read your profile. Amazing results - "half the man I was"!
    Very impressive.

Did you find starvation mode was a problem when you were starting out and much higher BF %? I.e. where you eating much more when you were much bigger (say 2400-3000 cals NET per day) as supposed to or did you just drop straight down to 1500 cals NET?

I understand you must do alot of exercise to be still eating 3400 cals per day now but what is your NETs?

Cheers
  • steenie320
    Options
    I've always thought that we need to eat more GOOD food, in order to raise our metabolic rate and lose weight...My problem has always been that I can survive on black coffee and pitta bread until the evening and then I would hit the pasta because I would be so hungry! My body would then react by producing loads of glucose which could not be stored in any other way than fat...and there you have it - a belly! My blood sugar level was up and down all day and I was moody and chubby. That was a year or so ago and I have lost - without exercising and without really trying, 14lbs just by changing my eating habits.
    I now eat 5 or 6 small and nutritious meals a day, I eat nuts and seeds and lentils and chickpeas as well as meat and fish and I am a lot healthier for it (I don't do it all the time, but I am aware of the need to put good things into my body, although I find salad a chore!) My blood sugar stays on an even keel, and if I feel myself dipping, I have snack so that I don't end up gorging at the next meal.
    I guess the whole point about calorie counting and whether or not starvation mode is real,is that if you are going to eat chocolate for your 1200 cals a day, then you are going to be unhealthy and your body won't know what it is doing due to the highs and lows of your bloody sugar (caffeine is another thing that will do this)...regardless of your weight.
    I think the real issue about food and exercise is the type of food we put in to our systems. I have not lost any weight since going to the gym since September, but I am healthier, more toned and feel better - I suspect I should still be eating more though if I want to lose weight but at the moment, I am content to at least maintain the weight that I am at - as long as my waist starts to appear! ;o)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "starvation mode". It is the most overused, overabused word on this site. However, I do believe that if your deficit is larger than your body can handle, you risk losing muscle mass along with fat. This in turns decreases your metabolic rate and makes it harder to lose weight and easier to gain it back.

The more fat reserves you have, the larger the deficit you can have.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The "Biggest Loser" is an encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
    And forget the term "starvation mode"
    That's overly dramatic. Your metabolism slows - fact!
    Nobody can deny that with any credibility.
    So, you can follow the MFP recommendation or join the ranks of "Biggest Loser" yoyo's who gain and lose, gain and lose their whole lives before dying fat.

Your call.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's science, guys. You metabolism does slow. It becomes so very hard for your body to break down food when it's not used to breaking down certain amounts. Look at recovery from eating disorders - they're put on meal plans that are only around 1200 calories, if at that, yet they still experience weight gain. Why? Because their bodies weren't used to it.

I think everyone needs to remember that "starvation" refers to less than 600 calories a day, I believe. 1200 is the recommended weightloss calorie intake (for women), just because you're going lower than that, doesn't mean you're starving. Also, people need to remember that other things will boost your metabolism, thus speeding up a metabolism that may have been slowing down from decreasing intake. Things like exercise, muscle mass, green tea and caffeine etc. all help boost the metabolism.

Whilst in the depths of my ED that was what I used to 'maintain' a 'normal' metabolism. I lived off tea and black coffee, and exercised ridiculously; convinced that this was speeding my metabolism up, balancing the fact that body was starving and basically destroying itself. Of course, these tactics didn't help when recovery was forced upon me. 15kg went on very, very easily. Had I perhaps maintained the 1200 calories and done everything by the book; my weight probably wouldn't have gone back on in such a fashion. Because I wouldn't have mucked my metabolism up so much.

Also, when you are starving (in terms of the medical definition; i.e. 600 odd calories), your weight loss will slow. You will have to step up your calorific outtake in order to maintain steady loss. This goes for people who are in the 'healthy' BMI section. Those who are in the overweight or obese categories experience faster weightloss. I think of it as perhaps their bodies thanking them, as most of us have that one weight that we stay at or sink to. Once you meet that anchoring weight, then things become harder. Perhaps that's your metabolism going "stop, we're good here", and hindering you from losing more weight.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I believe in it because I used to eat far less than anyone I knew and burned far more calories (warehouse job and a gym membership I actually used), but I struggled to lose weight and could never maintain a healthy weight. I was always going up or down the scale, and if it was down, it meant I was severely starving myself (500 calories or less a day). The only difference between me and the people I knew back then was that I was a yo-yo dieter from my teenage years on and they weren't.
  • strongwilled
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories you need to fuel your body. So if you are thin, lowering your calorie intake below 1200 won't necessarily put your body into starvation mode and stop your metabolism. Plateaus are natural, and will happen, but starvation mode is actually a myth.

Starvation mode happens when you don't eat ANYTHING at all...that's your body's way of coping with NO food. Eating less than you should on a daily basis won't cause your body to shut down.
    sorry to say i disagree.......:yawn:
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...

You can eat A LOT more food for 1200 calories if you're not eating processed food/fast food. Agree?

And you can eat EVEN MORE food - and should - if you're exercising. Agree?

So...if you're exercising and eating mostly nice, clean food...how is it starving?

Also, wouldn't "Starvation Mode" vary from person to person, since all caloric requirements are different for each of us, based on weight, age, genetics and activity levels?

Just things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmm....
  • stephelan
    Options
    I've become a non-believer after years of swearing by it! In my first year of weightloss, I didn't know about starvation mode and lost 60 pounds. Then I became educated and changed things around to avoid starvation mode. After two YEARS of diligently logging what I eat and working out 1-2 times a day after everyone telling me I'm not eating enough and accommodating starvation mode, I have not lost a single pound. And DEFINITELY not for a lack of trying. I'm frustrated to the point of tears and cutting back on my calories significantly to see where that gets me. Maybe it works for some people but two years of it tells me that it doesn't work for me.
  • ebaywidow
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories you need to fuel your body. So if you are thin, lowering your calorie intake below 1200 won't necessarily put your body into starvation mode and stop your metabolism. Plateaus are natural, and will happen, but starvation mode is actually a myth.

Starvation mode happens when you don't eat ANYTHING at all...that's your body's way of coping with NO food. Eating less than you should on a daily basis won't cause your body to shut down.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Here's some numerical evidence about my own body.

I started the journey in July at 245 lbs. I lost 20 lbs or so really fast on 1700 calories. Around December I plateaued. I was running at the time 6-10 miles a day 4x a week plus weights (in reality I was overtraining) and sticking to 1700 calories.

I couldn't lose a damn thing all December and up to 10 days ago. I stuck around 220-223 lbs. Overtraining, undereating, my body gave me the high middle finger.

10 days ago I got with a nutritionist and a personal trainer. I upped my calories to 2200 a day and slacked off on the exercise. I still work out 5x a week for 60-90 minutes a day. I've lost 8 lbs in the past 10 days.

Do what works for you. "Starvation Mode" may not apply to some of you but for many people, to include myself, limiting my calories and working out harder doesn't achieve anything visually or on the scale after my body throttles back and gets used to it even though by the math I should be 195 lbs today.
  • ebaywidow
    Options

Totally agree!! Want to lose weight...eat less and exercise more...the more you burn...the less you weigh :)
  • sexyfit69
    Options
    "Starvation mode happens when you don't eat ANYTHING at all...that's your body's way of coping with NO food. Eating less than you should on a daily basis won't cause your body to shut down"

I must admit that i agreed with this statement a 110%
  • sexyfit69
    Options
    Starvation mode happens when you don't eat ANYTHING at all...that's your body's way of coping with NO food. Eating less than you should on a daily basis won't cause your body to shut down
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    I personally don't believe in starvation mode, take a look at annorexic/bulemic people.. they practically never eat, and look how thin they have become. I don't condone the annorexia or bulemia part, but I was more so speaking about the saying that you should have atleast 1200 calories or your going to fail. Bull, I have a strict calorie intake set at 890/ day, and before exercise, I ususally have about 150-200 calories to spare. Since January 22, 2012 I have lost 12 lbs. That's 12 lbs in ten days. So, if the saying was correct about HAVING to take in 1200 calories to be sucessful, then why have I lost 12 lbs ? Just a thought for everyone to consider.. I didn't mean to start a riot or a fight about who's right or wrong.

15714177.png
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    People who say they are working out XX amount and eating YY amounts and not losing are usually miscalculating somehow. Unless they are eating less than 50% of their BMR for extended periods of time, they aren't really in danger of "starvation mode". It is extremely easy to erase one's perceived deficit with estimate errors and then throw the whole plan out the window as "not working".

However, there are those, like Auticus, who really are undereating and overexercising and their bodies don't cooperate in this whole weight loss thing until adequate nutrition is provided.

If starvation mode doesn't apply to YOU, that's fantastic, but saying it doesn't exist for anyone isn't exactly accurate.

And TBL is a reality show. 'Nuff said.

ETA: Starvation "mode" is NOT the same as starvation (like anorexics or third world countries).