Painful period pains?

Options
I am a bloke so please don't go into to much info :) but am training my sister to get fitter she's lossin weight she's doing great but today we where going to go for a run but she txted sayin she's can't due to period pains my question to u women is do u think my sis is just blowing me out n just being lazy or is it impossible to train when your on ya periods

Replies

• ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Oh yes she is blowing you off!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have found when I drag myself out of the house and get a good cardio session in, my menstrual cramps improve. It doesn't completely go away but at least manageable.
  • JannineOwen
    JannineOwen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    for me personally i don't tend to go to the gym at that time, exercise seems to make my periods heavier and i usually feel pretty crappy already so i don't like to make it worse, so i just have a few rest days. i don't know if thats the same for everyone though.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person, some may use it as an excuse, but I know I get them so bad sometimes that I find it hard to stand up straight! I would say if she is usually up for training and has said no today then she is actually in pain.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes they can be painful. I run 5 days a week whether I have it or not. I just make sure I take a pain killer about 1/2 hour before. I always feel better after I've went.
  • valerieg06
    Options
    I think it depends on how badly she is cramping. Usually women have mild bloating and some have severe cramps. Give her a day or two and she will feel better, but sometimes exercise usually does help with the pain.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    it would not be a good site if i went out for a run today!

you need to trust your sister that she is telling you the truth, some of us women are in such pain it is hard to walk!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My cramps, quite literally, cripple me. Saying that, I've found that exercise, specifically walking or jogging, eases the pain temporarily.
  • SexyLynettesy
    Options
    personally i find that lught excerise is good for period pains! i thnk she is being a wimp and i have really painful periods due to a miscarriage i had previously??
  • bekisimpkins
    bekisimpkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go steady when you call her up on this! This is not the time to make a woman angry or sad!

Leave it for now, but maybe tomorrow you could suggest a more gentle exercise (the stretches in yoga seem to help me). I think some women are able to just carry on and work through the pain. I on the other hand, feel (not to be too graphic) like someone is taking a serated knife and slicing me up!!! The strange thing is, the pain last one full day and then I'm back to normal life.

I've heard that regular exercise does help with the pain but I've been working out for at least 30mins a day since the start of the year and it's done nothing to ease my pain! Each woman is different though!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Period pains as an excuse for not exercise is a load of poo. It takes more effort to desire to exercise but in all honesty exercise makes mine go away. (I would consider my cramps to be debilitating sometimes, but after I work out it eases the pain.)
    Tell her to suck it up and get exercising, she can't take a week off every month.
  • pudgypie
    pudgypie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What a great brother your sis has!!! Personally, I suffer dreadfully from period pain. At their worst I get dreadful pains radiating down my legs and into my knees. Kinda like really bad pins and needles sensation on top of a dull throbbing aching pain in my thighs, that doesn't even include the tummy and back cramps. However, I highly recommend trying to do some sort of exercise. An easy gym work out or a light jog.....it's the last thing you feel like doing but give it 10 mins or so into the routine you will feel better and you will definitely feel better once you've done something and have a nice hot shower!!!

Keep up the good work!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Well I have had BAD period cramps, but fact is it helps to alleviate the pain to get exercise in. The other fact? We feel like so much crap that we don't want to do anything but lay in bed. Just because it has the ability to help some, doesn't mean we have the motivation to get going on it.

Its like having bad muscle stiffness.... so bad you can hardly move. Moving will help it, but it doesn't mean you want to move!
  • krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD and can tell you that yes, she may actually be in that much pain. I have had cramps so bad that they compared to the moderate labor pains I felt when I gave birth. It's also not unusual to become physically weak for a day or two, suffer from headaches or migraines, and have nausea. I suggest to her next time to take ibuprofen or Aleve about an hour before and then have a mild to moderate workout since physical activity can help calm cramps.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I have PMDD and can tell you that yes, she may actually be in that much pain. I have had cramps so bad that they compared to the moderate labor pains I felt when I gave birth. It's also not unusual to become physically weak for a day or two, suffer from headaches or migraines, and have nausea. I suggest to her next time to take ibuprofen or Aleve about an hour before and then have a mild to moderate workout since physical activity can help calm cramps.

This. Some women get disabling period pain. I've had some so bad that I was very close to calling an ambulance.
  • myers0machine
    Options
    Wow lots of replies thanks for gettin bk to me much love to ya all n well I didn't release how bad a women could get them so I take my hat of to all the women in the world a lot tougher then us men I guess aha n well I guess few days of ain't going to hurt (if she's stays with my diet program) onces again thanks for gettin bk to me :)
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cramps are the worst. Seriously. I don't run on my week.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they can't be debilitating is nuts! Sorry to those of you I might offend. Your sister should check with her doctor to see if she may possibly have endometriosis. Before my hysterectomy, I had cramps so badly, I was in bed, taking MUCHO pain killers, laying on a heating pad, calling in sick to work, etc.
    Kaye
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    tell her to take some midol or aleve . exercise helps! BUT that being said, I have a couple of friends who have very serious issues with this type of thing, they're down for the count for a couple days. It depends. Is this a new problem or something she just came up with when it was time to run?!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It takes me a minute to get going on my period, but after I get up and moving, I don't hurt as much and I feel better. So, I'd say she's blowing you off.