Biking Question

Options
So, I love biking. Last year I started biking to a job I had that took me 40 minutes to get to.

I now work a lot further away - but I am really tempted to bike there too. It would take me 3 hours.

Thoughts?

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    3 hours is pretty epic! Can you bike there and train back?
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    I am a biker also. However, in the winter months I can't ride. However, so far I have rode my bike in December 3 or 4 times & January 1 time. I am hopeful that the ice from the streets will be gone to at least ride one time in February. I think a 3 hour bike ride to work is way too much. I mean 3 hour there & there hours back. Maybe you could find a way to ride a bus one way & ride home. Also I am thinking of getting some glasses specifically for bike riding, do you wear anything special?
  • KineticPearl
    KineticPearl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Or get a train until you are 40-50 minutes away?
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Three hours each way? Daaang. I'd probably drive there one day with my bike, leave my car there (if that's possible), bike back, bike to work the next day, then drive home that day with bike and.....err....lol well I'd just alternate days biking, three hours is a long *kitten* time....it would cut into my working/sleeping/recreational time way too much.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would ride the 30 mile trip to work, if it wasn't all interstate highways. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: And if there were facilities available to freshen up A LOT. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good luck on your decision! And be safe! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • frenchchip
    Options
    It's always great to push yourself. That said, with 6hrs a day devoted to a workout/commute I'd say once a week at the most...maybe even every two weeks and try to shave some time off your previous ride.
  • bethmags
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but take into account your work setting. Do you have a shower available and a place to keep clothes? Are you in casual wear or business attire? Would you be too tired to work if you did bike that long? Would you be able to make it home after a long day at work? Is there someone who is willing/able to pick you up if you don't make it all the way for one reason or another? Are the roads safe for a biker during commute times? These are all questions you should be asking to make a decision.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Are we talking 3 hrs one way or round trip? If round trip, why not?? It's only about 25 / 30 miles? That's the trip from my house to work and I'll be doing that most days come the milder weather.

If it's 3 hrs one way, not a chance. You'd be shattered for work and then tired coming back home. Save your 6 hour rides for your days off x
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you can swing it - YES!
    Just make sure you're eating back all those calories and drive some days to give your body rest.
    You don't want to end up one of those little, shriveled shrimp looking guys.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Three hours total for the day? Or three hours there and three hours back? That is a lot of biking...but maybe once a week do that...that would be intense.

Or you could bike there and then take a bus back...? Although depending on where you live I know during rush hour some busses do not allow people to hop on with their bikes.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am a biker also. However, in the winter months I can't ride. However, so far I have rode my bike in December 3 or 4 times & January 1 time. I am hopeful that the ice from the streets will be gone to at least ride one time in February. I think a 3 hour bike ride to work is way too much. I mean 3 hour there & there hours back. Maybe you could find a way to ride a bus one way & ride home. Also I am thinking of getting some glasses specifically for bike riding, do you wear anything special?

Give these a look. I don't have a set yet, but giving them a serious look.

http://barmitts.com/
  • nurseloopy
    Options
    I am slowly building my fitness to be able to cycle the commute of 20 miles to work (40 miles round trip). I definitely think you could do it. You just need to slowly increase your fitness and make sure you don't overtrain. When I am up to commuting my 40 miles I will definitely be having total rest days when I am not working :smile: . I know people who cycle 35 miles to work and 35 miles back so it can be done :bigsmile:
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get a good bike....but at 6'-3" and a needing to drop about 60lbs, I can't help but feel like I'd look like a big goober on a bike. Lol

I'll prolly still get one tho.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would love to do it...but (have you notice there is always a "but"?) I sweat so much after exercising 5 minutes, how do you handle the smell with your collegues? I am ready to drop my salary by 20% if they give me access to a shower. I dream of getting to my job running or biking. Once I worked closed to a swimming pool, it was awesome to swim every morning before starting the day...
  • junyr
    Options
    I'd love to get a good bike....but at 6'-3" and a needing to drop about 60lbs, I can't help but feel like I'd look like a big goober on a bike. Lol

IMO, no one trying to improve themselves is a big goober...

I saw a think the other day that said: "For you to insult me I'd first have to value your opinion". Who cares what strangers think...

With that being said You'd need a bike with a frame size in the 20/21 inch range. And remember the cheapest bike from your local bike shop is far superior to the most expensive department store bike.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? If you've got the time and the daylight (or lights to keep it safe), what's the issue? I'd kill to be able to ride to work more often, and I intentionally take the long way there.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Could you do a short day and use that day to cycle? Just wondering if that would allow you the challenge but without doing it every day?
  • Jipples
    Options

I saw a think the other day that said: "For you to insult me I'd first have to value your opinion". Who cares what strangers think...

With that being said You'd need a bike with a frame size in the 20/21 inch range. And remember the cheapest bike from your local bike shop is far superior to the most expensive department store bike.

Nah, I don't really care what others think bud....that's why I said I'll prolly still get one. We have a local bike shop here that I'll go to to "get fitted". I don't mind paying the money. Any suggestions on a brand?
  • junyr
    Options

Nah, I don't really care what others think bud....that's why I said I'll prolly still get one. We have a local bike shop here that I'll go to to "get fitted". I don't mind paying the money. Any suggestions on a brand?

Pretty much all the bikes even in the bike shops are made in taiwan or china, there will be little getting around that if you care about those things. They're great frames made to company standards and all that.... I'm in the market myself and haven't really settled on my new bike yet either. If you're looking at mountiain bikes go grab this months "mountain bike action" magazine. There's a good buyers guide in there that talks about what to expect in certain price ranges, frame matereals, components and all that. I'm leaning toward a specialized "Carve" 29er myself so far.
  • Jipples
    Options

Pretty much all the bikes even in the bike shops are made in taiwan or china, there will be little getting around that if you care about those things. They're great frames made to company standards and all that.... I'm in the market myself and haven't really settled on my new bike yet either. If you're looking at mountiain bikes go grab this months "mountain bike action" magazine. There's a good buyers guide in there that talks about what to expect in certain price ranges, frame matereals, components and all that. I'm leaning toward a specialized "Carve" 29er myself so far.

Cool deal....I appreciate it.

OP, sorry for hi-jacking the thread. :bigsmile: