Does the Contraceptive Pill prohibit weight loss

Options
Hi Guys,

I started my MFP journey last year in October (I think) and at the time I was not on the contraceptive pill as my partner and I were taking the "Lets see what happens" theory. At christmas time is decided due to financial commitments and the want to be a healthier person to bring a person into the world, to put myself first and lose some weight so I went back on my pill. Before I started taking it I was losing the kgs/lbs really easily (obviously with excerise and healthy eating) but now that I have gone back on my pill it seems to have become a really hard task. I don't feel thinner and my scales were not very co-operative over the last few weeks.

I know the pill can make you gain weight when you first start taking it but what I want to know is.... Can it affect your weightloss?? Does it make it harder to lose weight while you are taking it. I've googled but cannot seem to find any information about the affects on trying to lose weight.???

Replies

• beach_chelle
    Options
    Being on the pill hasn't affected my weight lose. But I have been on it for sometime now. You may have to give it just a little longer. I applaude your choice to lose weight before getting pregnant it is best first choice you could make for your baby.

Keep up the hard work and you will get there.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Some people on this site say it does and say that it made them gain X amount of weight(I say both excuses are bull crap, but to each their own!)

I personally have found no problems losing weight while on the pill.. but each person is different... so for you it may be harder while for me it's easier.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nope just an excuse.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I first started the pill, my doctor told me that it could possibly cause me to gain weight, if I weren't watching it, but realistically no more than about 10-15 lbs. Birth control pills are just hormone supplements, and it may take a while for your body to register the new levels, which can cause any number of small changes. And logically, if it contributes to weight gain, it's possible that if you ARE already trying to lose weight, it can slow that down. I'd give it a month or two, sticking to your weight loss plan, before worrying about it. As soon as your body gets used to the pills, it'll equalize and you should start dropping again.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    Nope, it shouldn't affect your weight loss.

I've been on the pill for a few years now. I remember when I was first put on the pill, I felt hungrier so I ate more, which, of course, caused weight gain. I can't really attribute that to the pill, though. Just keep yourself in check and follow your plan. :)
  • SexyLynettesy
    Options
    nope nope nope, the pill does not make you eat more, gain weight etc hun! you may feel a little crappy when you first take it thus the urge to comfort eat sets in but just be strong!!!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It depends on 1. the person and their chemical make-up and also 2. the type of pill you are using and the strength of estrogen. It's important to consult your doctor. We aren't medical representatives and the only person who will know you well is your OB/GYN.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nope just an excuse.

This...sorry.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    See I put on weight when I started taking the pill, but I'm pretty sure it was from me pigging out rather than anything hormonal lol! I'm still on it now and losing weight, it doesn't seem to be effecting my weight loss is any way :D
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Anything that messes with your hormones can affect your weight because body fat mass and hunger signals are regulated by hormones. And all hormones work with one another to keep homeostasis in the body (harmonic balance).
  • jensensi
    Options
    I'm on depo provera (12 weekly injection) and have been for nearly 10 years. I gained most my weight as a teenager around the time I started taking it so I always wondered if coming off it might help or boost my weight loss a tiny bit? But as the others have said the worse it usually does is make you hungrier, you still have to eat the extra food to gain the weight.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Nope just an excuse.

^^^ this
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There have been some brands that I gained weight on. For the it's just and excuse and bullcrap people - I gained 35 pounds in one month on one. I didn't eat that much. The studies say that the pills don't cause weight gain or for people to hold water. That is statistically over a large group of people. If, after a few months, you are still having issues, you can ask your doctor to try a different one.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The pill does not affect your weight. It affects your appetite. Which if you don't control your appetite, has the potential to cause weight gain. If you are counting calories you will have no problem.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The pill never caused an issue with me when it came to weight, but it's different for everyone.

I'm on Mirena now and it's made losing weight pretty much impossible, but most people on Mirena don't have that problem. I also regained 20 pounds of the 34 I'd lost and kept off for two years. The weight gain started the month after I got Mirena even though I was still exercising and eating very healthy.

To say it's an excuse when someone experiences gains or trouble losing after going on hormonal contraception just because it wasn't a problem for YOU is silly. Of course it can affect weight. Maybe not for everyone and maybe not even for most. But if you're doing nothing else differently and you're gaining and/or having trouble losing, then there's a pretty good chance it's the hormones.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I can't find the link to the article I read last week, but it said that only 1 in 1000 women actually gain weight from starting birth control.
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    Weight gain is a possible side effect. It's hormones after all but I can't see how it would make weight loss any more difficult? Not too sure to be honest.

For anyone who says it's an excuse is just one of the people who don't suffer from the side effects. I have been on the pill for many years and never had a single headache, my skin didn't get worse and I didn't put on weight. They are just "possible" side effects. Some people will be unlucky some won't.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    For me personally - I think it limited how much weight my body was willing to give up. Back in 2004/2005, I lost about 55 lbs and could NOT, no matter how hard I tried or what I changed up, drop below 141 pounds.

Fast forward to spring of 2011...I'd gained back about 35 of those 55 pounds I'd lost and decided since 40 was right around the corner it was time to do something about this. Being another 6+ years older, I figured it would be HARDER to lose it this time around. Instead - I found it to be no harder at all AND I was able to get down to my goal weight of 135 (I've been maintaining in the 134-137 range for several months now).

I joined the same gym, I'm doing the same types of exercises with the same effort, and I'm eating the same way I was when I lost weight before. So I'm older, but NOT on the pill and was able to reach a goal weight I couldn't achieve while younger and ON the pill.

It could be a coincidence, I guess - but it was the only thing I could think of that was different this time around...
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I wasn't getting fit when I started the pill. I gained close to 40 pounds, but like another poster said, it was because I was eating ALL the time. The weight gain is what prompted me to get fit. I have had no issues losing weight because of the pill. BUT, it might take a bit for your body to adjust and you to start losing again..... Or it could be a coincidence. Have you been eating the same foods? Has your carb or sugar gone up? More sodium?
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think it varies by person. Bodies respond differently to chemicals.