Freezable and/or Quick Breakfasts

Options

Replies

• Birdsong
    Options
    Over the weekend, I make extra breakfast each morning, especially extra scrambled egg beaters, extra pancakes, extra turkey bacon and extra french toast and put it in containers in the fridge. After breakfast cleanup, I make various breakfast sandwiches using the pancakes and french toast as the bread, and the eggs and turkey bacon as the fililng. As i make my french toast very light, using eggbeaters and light bread, the sandwiches are around 200 calories each and low in sodium as opposed to the ones you can buy in the store. You can also use the extra egg and turkey or sausage between bagel thins to make bagel sandwiches or whole wheat english muffins. I make enough of the breakfast sandwiches to get us through a week of grab and go breakfasts.

I also like to make breakfast casseroles and cut them into servings, again wrap in plastic wrap in individual servings and either freeze or refrigerate. One of my favorites is a turkey sausage pineapple upside down casserole. Yum.
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Love the quiche idea and those pumpkin spice pancakes! <3 I'd like to switch up my breakfast once in a while, lol :D
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump...Love the Ideas!!!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Another idea for when you're getting hungry. I find plain brazil nuts quite good for hitting the spot when I'm spending a lot of time in my car. I choose brazil nuts, because it's easier to remember how many I've had, and they last a while cos I suck on them a bit too. you could always put them in pre-weigh portions in small pots too, but I'm not that organised :P
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump. Some really great ideas.

To the OP, another idea is to save time in the morning by making lunches the night before.
  • madcitygal
    Options
    The mini quiches are great! I've been making them for a few weeks now. The nice thing is you can make a variety in one batch, so you don't have to eat the same kind every day. I use whatever I have on hand...spinach, ground turkey, a little swiss cheese, mushroom, peppers...anything that sounds good at the time.
  • CamrynFox
    CamrynFox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually just grab a packet of instant Oatmeal. I keep paper cups and plastic spoons at my desk so it's easy and quick. Depending on what flavor you choose a packet has between 130-160 calories and because it's higher in fiber - you feel full longer :)
  • madcitygal
    Options
    ohh...and you can freeze them for up to a month. I wrap them individually, and put them in a freezer bag.
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

6 - Put pans in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, give or take a few.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

Sorry this is so vague, but I hope it helps!

I've recently tried this and brought it in for my coworkers and they absolutely loved it. I made it on Sunday and it's great and easy for the week.

I've used only egg whites, cilantro, salmon, mushroom, onions and peppers, spinach and low fat cheese...It was absolutely delish... I plan on mixing it up so I don't get bored with it. It's so much you can do with the cupcake pans. Be creative and I'm sure it will turn out great.
  • kjenkins86
    Options
    Good morning! Man your mornings are busy! I'm an AM workout girl myself and I go straight from the gym to work so I'm ALWAYS bringing my breakfast to work. I make baked oatmeal (see recipe website below). I have subbed out the bananas and blueberries for apples and pears, all if it works and is delicious. This recipe makes 6 servings and I put them in individual containers for the week. I usually eat some Greek yogurt with it. It's absolutely delicious!!! Bon Appetit!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Another great and quick idea is making a BLT using Thomas English Muffins or mini breakfast sandwiches. I normally eat turkey bacon so before I jump in the shower in the morning I place some bacon in the oven. By the time I get out of the shower it's already cooked and my sandwich is half way complete. It literally takes my 5 minutes once I'm fully dressed to finish the sandwich. Quick, easy and way healthier than the breakfast sandwiches you get quickly on the go.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you stop at MacDonald's, get the egg McMuffin instead of the sausage biscuit. It's not a bad choice for breakfast on the run.
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    These ideas are great, thanks for sharing!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I eat a lot of apples and peanut butter in the morning and for snacks. Just peel and core an apple, cut into quarters or wedges, and smear peanut butter on them. So good!

My favorite is the Smucker's Natural Creamy P.B. because there is nothing in it but peanuts and less than 1% of salt.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have been baking a quiche of sorts on the weekend, too, and storing it in containers for the week:

1 small carton of egg beaters
    1 cup cut broccoli (from frozen, cooked and drained)
    1 can of mushroom slices

Spray a pie pan with non-stick spray. Pour egg beaters into pie pan; mix in broccoli pieces and mushrooms
    Bake at 375 for 25 minutes
    Add 4 slices of Kraft fat free singles over top. Place on counter to cool.
    When it it cooled, I cut it into 4 huge pieces and put them in separate containers. Depending on what you use, this can be about 100 calories a serving, but good protein. I usually cut the pieces into smaller pieces to put in a whole wheat Damascus bakeries flat-out rollup.

A real lifesaver for me is to hard-boil 24 eggs on Sunday and put them in the fridge. Each morning, I shell three of them and take the yolk out and put the hard-boiled egg whites in a snack sized bag. I toast an everything bagel thin and eat an egg white bagel sandwich for less than 160 calories. The combination of the bagel with the protein is exactly what my body needs in the mornings.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For the morning that I need a quick meal I grab the high-fiber cinnamon swirl oatmeal from Quaker. Only 160 calories and with all the fiber I know it will keep me full until my mid morning greek yogurt snack.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    bumppp
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    save for later
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal. I'm up at 4.45, Gym at 5, Home by 6, Throw down a protein shake, Get 3 lunches ready (mine + the kids), get 2 kids plus me ready for school/daycare/work.. in the car and on the road at 7.30.

You are my HERO!!!!!