Losing Weight but baby belly fat sticking around

I have lost 22 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I owe a lot of it to MFP!!!! and the support of my family and friends. While I can feel the difference and see it in some of my clothes I am having a hard time shedding the baby belly that my three c-section kiddos left behind. I have the p90x, turbo fire, zumba, wii fit, just dances, and my fav 30 day shred. While I have not completed the p90x and turbo fire I don't know what the best "work out" "exerices" etc woudl be that is geared toward the core? Any suggestions?

Replies

• mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    You cant spot reduce. Such a concept does not exist...it is a myth. Just keep doing what you aredoing....you've had great progress so far! You can also start doing weights which will help you build muscle...it wont make tou lighter but it willmake you look more fit :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    I have lost 22 pounds in the last 3 weeks.

WHAT?!
  • Yep...it's been hard work. Huge change in diet and exercise.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Unfortunately, you have ZERO control over where your body drops its weight. It decides that on its own. Just keep working hard and eventually your belly will go.

Of course you will want to do a lot of core exercises. A strong core is essential to good fitness, but it is not going to burn off belly fat in and of itself.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    It's only been 3 weeks so give it more time. :smile: You have lost a lot of weight in 3 weeks and if you keep up what you're doing then fat will drop from your waist.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    "If you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet."
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    First of all, that's an amazing weight loss for 3 weeks! What have you been doing exercise and diet wise?

But I feel your pain! I've lost 43lbs since last May and I still look 6mos pregnant. I've had three c/s too and my stomach is wrecked.

I've been running and doing a few different Jillian Michaels dvds. I started 6 Week 6 Pack three weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't lost any inches from my stomach area since starting the dvd and I haven't lost any weight since mid-December. I also just bought Lindsey Brin's Core Fitness for Moms dvd and I started that yesterday.

I am getting reallly, really frustrated. I think I'm going to try low carb for a while...that's really tough for me but I am so tired of looking pregnant. I am slimming down everywhere else except for this giant stomach.
  • Thank you for the comments and support/motivation. Amy, it is frustrating and very hard, and very time consuming. Since you are a mama you can understand how hard it is to fit it in and why the results when they aren't as good as we hoped when we are working so hard. I just started her Ripped in 30. I love her 30 day shred so we shall see how this one does. Let me know how the 6 week 6 packs works out for you. Ditto on the last sentence.
    Oh, for diet and exercise...30 days shred, Zumba, bike. And I have cut out diet soda (any soda) breads, pastas, etc for the first two weeks. But 43 lbs is amazing! I can't wait to be at the point! Keep up the hard work and let me know how it goes! :)
  • ps. thank you all for the reminder that it takes time to get in shape...it's hard to be remember sometimes. You work so hard and you want instant, but I apprecaite the reminder and the support! Thanks!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    That fat, also known as "Stubborn fat" requires a specific protocol. I'm at work now, but follow my blog, I'm working on it :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Razique
    Later :)
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    While it's true that you can't spot reduce, you can 'restore your core'. I only had one c-section, but I really felt the impact it had on my abs and back for that matter. I found consistent Pilates classes really helped me out. My belly really flattened out because my muscle tone was improved. My back hurts a lot less as a result of stronger abs. Best wishes to you!
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    really - how did you lose that much weight in 3 weeks? I am struggling to lose 1 lb a week!!! :cry:
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    really - how did you lose that much weight in 3 weeks? I am struggling to lose 1 lb a week!!! :cry:

^^Bump
  • I personally LOVE the p90x ab ripper. It's only 15 minutes and I do it after my cardio workouts. I have lost 2 inches in my waist so far... and I'm a mama too :) I've accepted the fact that I'll probably always be "lumpy and bumpy" in that area, but the less that you can see through clothing, the better. Plus, core strenth is so important!

Keep it up... and remember, those mommy's with 6 packs are freaks of nature... you're the normal one :)
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    I personally LOVE the p90x ab ripper. It's only 15 minutes and I do it after my cardio workouts. I have lost 2 inches in my waist so far... and I'm a mama too :) I've accepted the fact that I'll probably always be "lumpy and bumpy" in that area, but the less that you can see through clothing, the better. Plus, core strenth is so important!

Keep it up... and remember, those mommy's with 6 packs are freaks of nature... you're the normal one :)

I only wish I could see ANY ab definition!!! I am working on it...sigh! :noway:
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 748 Member
    Yep...it's been hard work. Huge change in diet and exercise.

WOW! That's AMAZING! What was your starting weight?
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    With that fast of a weight loss is it possible that is some extra skin????
    I find my stomach has a lot more skin since I had a baby and its been a while.

The proof is my belly button piercing (LOL) is not in the same place it was before. ....sad but true.
  • I'm a mommy of 2 myself and I'm doing Insanity right now. So far, I've seen a little improvement so far. I'm hoping by the time I'm done my tummy will have gone down a bit.
  • MamaEdmund
    MamaEdmund Posts: 70 Member
    While it's true that you can't spot reduce, you can 'restore your core'. I only had one c-section, but I really felt the impact it had on my abs and back for that matter. I found consistent Pilates classes really helped me out. My belly really flattened out because my muscle tone was improved. My back hurts a lot less as a result of stronger abs. Best wishes to you!

I haven't had a CS, but I did have three kids in four years and had done NO ab work in between--also gained more than 50 pounds with each of the first two pregnancies and finally a more healthy 30 with my third. I started Pilates once a week when my youngest was three months old in a super basic beginner class.....and lost 2.5 inches off my waist in 10 days! And since then the progress has been smaller, but really my core was shot. I felt like an infant learning to crawl--spent most of the class picking myself back up off the mat, but the instructor really focused on form so it's done properly and I don't injure myself further (also had pelvic issues with each kid that hadn't worn off when I started the class).

You've done great progress so far, keep at it! And if you haven't taken measurements, do it now and that gives you something tangible to look back on and see how far you've come! You're more than welcome to add me to your friend list as a supporter! I've just started the 30DS myself......
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 634 Member

^^This^^