Trying really hard...but still need some advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• LourdesitaMaria
    LourdesitaMaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First off, good job not getting sucked into thinking you need to starve yourself in order to lose weight. Overall your calories look pretty good. :) Sodium is definitely too high, though - try to keep that below 2300mg per day and drink lots of water to keep things moving.

Thank you so much for your encouragement...I think I am very susceptible to Sodium...sadly. I have been struggling with it....and it seems EVERYTHING has sodium even celery!!!!! Ugh. I will make it a goal to stay below the number you recommended above. As for the water, I've gotten much better in the last few weeks at getting it all in. It was a hard habit to learn....because I could go all day without a drop and then I'd be guzzling it down at night only to be up half the night...you know. I have gotten to the point where I get to 9 glasses during the week...I Don't know what happens to me on weekends...will work on that this week too. Thank you for all of your help!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouragement...I think I am very susceptible to Sodium...sadly. I have been struggling with it....and it seems EVERYTHING has sodium even celery!!!!! Ugh. I will make it a goal to stay below the number you recommended above.

I actually don't have trouble retaining water with sodium, but I still try to keep it around 1500mg. I cook for someone who is salt-sensitive. Some days, I go higher - especially when we go out to eat or when I make homemade pizza.. But most days, I can keep it around 1200-1700.

Try things like making your own salad dressing, cook with meat that hasn't been injected with broth/saline, use fresh veggies instead of canned, make soups/stocks from scratch, bake your own bread, have swiss cheese instead of cheddar, eat old-fashioned oats instead packaged cereal, if you like lunch meat - buy Boar's Head brand - many of their products have much lower sodium.

There are so many things that have hidden sodium, but they can be avoided with a little label reading. :-)

Good luck!
  • athearenee
    Options
    Every day will be different...some days you might have 8 calories left...some days 300...
    Your Body is changing and trying to adjust to your new diet/exercise plan...but it will adjust...

Yesterday I was so busy, I forgot to eat ...(say WHA?) - so I had quite a few calories left over
    A few days ago I couldn't stop eating and I had to exercise and extra 75 minutes to make up for all the calories I consumed.

Every day is a new day...how do you feel?
    Don't stuff yourself by any means...your stomach is shrinking and forcing yourself to eat will stretch it out and then you will be hungry for sure!!

Make sure you eat 5-6 times a day...balance it out.

a Protein + Carb for Breakfast
    a Protein and Fruit for snack
    a Protein and vegetable for lunch
    a Fruit and Veggie for Snack
    a Lean protein and Veggie for Dinner
    a Fruit for Dessert

Snacks should be about 150 calories.
    Meals should be about 300
    *This will depend on what your total calorie goal for the day is, but Balance is critical and you don't want to be hungry or stuffed.

This will keep you at fat burning range and your blood sugar won't spike and fall as well

Hope this Helps!
  • LourdesitaMaria
    LourdesitaMaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Every day will be different...some days you might have 8 calories left...some days 300...
    Your Body is changing and trying to adjust to your new diet/exercise plan...but it will adjust...

Yesterday I was so busy, I forgot to eat ...(say WHA?) - so I had quite a few calories left over
    A few days ago I couldn't stop eating and I had to exercise and extra 75 minutes to make up for all the calories I consumed.

Every day is a new day...how do you feel?
    Don't stuff yourself by any means...your stomach is shrinking and forcing yourself to eat will stretch it out and then you will be hungry for sure!!

Make sure you eat 5-6 times a day...balance it out.

a Protein + Carb for Breakfast
    a Protein and Fruit for snack
    a Protein and vegetable for lunch
    a Fruit and Veggie for Snack
    a Lean protein and Veggie for Dinner
    a Fruit for Dessert

Snacks should be about 150 calories.
    Meals should be about 300
    *This will depend on what your total calorie goal for the day is, but Balance is critical and you don't want to be hungry or stuffed.

This will keep you at fat burning range and your blood sugar won't spike and fall as well

Hope this Helps!

Oh goodness, this definitely helps to see it distributed like that! Thank you! Would you consider canned tuna to be a lean protein? I never used to eat fish every week...but I've been incorporating it because it is very filling for me. I do feel I should add more protein to my day...I guess...I just always struggle with making good carb and protein choices. Thank you so much for your help and encouragement!
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If the weigh-in is getting you down, take measurements and photos...they could show you the real results of your efforts. Also, weighing in the evening can show some major fluctuations based on what you ate that day, so if you really want to see a consistent weigh-in, you may want to try weighing in the morning for your own peace of mind.

I am a fan of varied workouts. Choose several DVDs or activities that you enjoy and mix them up throughout the week! Try to include a day of stretch or yoga to improve flexibility and give your body a rest. Some of my favorites when I started out were Couch 2 5k and Zumba. Then I added in Jillian Michaels DVDs like 30 DS and Yoga Meltdown.
  • rgrace03
    Options
    I know there is a lot of controversy over the low carb vs. low calorie diets. I am not here to argue either way with anyone, but I personally have stopped counting my calories and watching more what types of food I eat. I am not doing the Atkins thing or cutting carbs completely from my diet. I mainly eat carbs in the morning and I try to only eat whole wheat. If you are not already, try eating whole wheat pasta, brown rice, 100% wheat bread, instead of the white rice, pasta and bread. I stay away from sugar and regular soda as much as possible. Lunch and dinner are mainly protein and veggies for me. I only eat fruit for breakfast since it is high in natural sugars. Dinner is often chicken breasts with a large salad or large portion of veggies. I stay away from potatoes and carrots. I noticed on your diary, you had take out a few nights; try to avoid eating fast food, even if you are still under your calories for the day. You also consumed a majority of your calories for the day at dinner. Try to reverse that and eat more at lunch, when you have more time to burn additional calories. After dinner most people are not very active.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to get a heart rate monitor. You may be over eating if MFP is over estimating your calories burned.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help and post! I usually go by the database on here and the labels on whatever I eat if there is a label available. I measure all of my food to the best of my ability and sometimes I will overestimate calories so as not to cheat myself. I log everything each day...but for example I blew Sunday and I tracked most everything, but I knew I needed to make up for it so I just got back to eating better on Monday and Tuesday. I find it difficult to eat completely whole foods when I have to eat soooo many calories according to my weight and height. I didn't get this way by eating LOTS of food at EVERY meal...I got this way by not eating all day and then eating fast food and making bad food choices during binges. Ugh. Just the thought makes me ill.

As far as the calorie burning is concerned it is an estimation. Each Zumba class is 1 hour long and so I log it on MFP by classifying Zumba as "Dance, aerobic etc" and logging my hour workout as being 45-55 minutes instead of the hour. I break a sweat 2-3 minutes into the class and keep up the intensity till the end, (I'm not a natural "sweater" by nature...but Zumba does make me sweat all through the workout.)

All in all as far as the calories and other numbers I get them from the MFP database...I also track my Weight Watcher points...never exceeding my daily alotment except on Sunday, when I bombed. Hope this was more detailed. I do not take your probe as an attack...I am grateful that you would want to help me. Thank you again so much!

Sorry for the delayed response, work and gym took over.

First and foremost, you're on the right track. That's a very important thing to keep in mind, particularly if you aren't seeing the results you were hoping for. Simply keeping track of what you eat and what you burn is a MAJOR hurdle towards getting control over your eating and exercise habits.

Now, based on your diary dating back a few days, and taking into account Sunday, you seem to be eating out a lot. Is it possible for you to do home-cooked food more and food out less? The problem with going out to eat is that you lose control over what goes onto your plate. I am also personally very skeptical of calorie listings given by restaurants (the same way my Dodge Ram was rated at 18 miles per gallon when in reality I was getting somewhere between 10 and 12). I'm certainly not saying never eat out, but I have noticed that I have much better success when I make my own food.

The heart rate monitor is also a good suggestion. I'm not saying you don't work hard at zumba, but 657 calories in 55 minutes strikes me as a bit high.

Another point is protein. I also think that MFP has a tendency of low-balling the targets for daily protein intake. I'm not going to preach low or no carb to you, but I think if you tried to eat fewer carbs than you are now and increased your protein and fat intake, you might see beneficial results. Also I would suggest trying healthy fats for snacks. A handful of almonds or a spoonful of peanut butter instead of crisps or chips might go a long way towards helping you as well.

I don't put much stake in eating a whole mess of meals a day. The scientific studies I've seen all seem to point to the differences being so minimal that it doesn't really matter much. That being said, I do know that for a lot of people eating a lot of meals helps keep them feeling fuller for longer and makes it less likely that they'll overindulge later. I'm personally the opposite, if I eat a little I just end up being starving. I eat a small breakfast, a huge lunch, and almost no dinner. It's what works best for me in keeping my total calorie intake low. Find what works best for you and stick with it.

I'm also going to suggest planning ahead if you don't already. Try to look at your calories from a weekly perspective rather than a daily one. If you're target is 1200 calories a day, and on Monday you eat 1100 and on Tuesday you eat 1300...you're doing fine (I'm not suggesting taking this to the extreme, you should still use common sense). If you plan in a cheat meal or cheat day, and prepare for it ahead of time, I find it makes you less likely to fall off your diet some other time. This week I'm eating a chicken and broccoli stir fry for lunch that's 500 calories (my usual lunch is 800-900 since I don't really eat dinner) so that I have room to relax for the super bowl. Looking forward to the MMMMMMMMBeer that I'll be able to have is a goal that I'm working towards this week that's keeping me honest. Also since it's planned, it will be less likely to destroy my diet for the whole day.

Last point, if all of that fails, it is ok to go below MFP's guideline. If you're not seeing results, try setting a target slightly lower than what MFP is giving (or try eating back fewer of your exercise calories, or try exercising a bit more, something that reduces your net caloric intake by a small amount). The estimates given are just that, estimates, it's up to you to get it to work for you. Again small steps, gradual changes are more likely to be permanent, and cause less of a shock to your system. You're also less likely to overshoot and do something unhealthy.

Good Luck!