How did you beat your tight tendons?

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
Been exercising regular for 4 months now.
For the last 3 months I have taken post-exercise stretching more seriously.
In my martial arts class, we do dynamic stretching when we start.
At the end, I do static on my own (hamstring sitting ,hamstring standing, laying down pulling knee in, quad stretch, butterfly, etc)
I do the same after cycling or jogging, but throw in yoga poses, like downward dog and bridges.

Fully warmed up, sitting down, I can only get my hands halfway down my shins.

However, I think I'm only getting -tighter- and losing looseness.

Is it possible that some people CAN'T get more flexible?

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to reach my toes. I do yoga at least once a week and I always stretch before and after workouts. I think some of us are just doomed.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga actually helped me become more flexible. You might try that.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Building muscle bulk will make you less flexible. So if you are at least maintaining flexibility your stretching is not a loss. Just like most of our body composition genetics plays a large role in flexibility. Some of us have to work much harder than others to see improvement.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Under the advice of a dietician I have added a supplement to help with flexibility. It's made a world of different. I also have been very proactive in using the foam roller, often. And now do yoga one extra day a week as well, so minimum of 2 days.
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have tight hips and Achilles. Two suggestions. Try a foam roller and check out http://www.mobilitywod.com/. The foam roller seams to looses muscles which eases tension on tendons. For my hips and ankles, I seemed stuck for a long time stretching but no progress. I finally realized I was not doing the right stretches. Someone showed some stretches shown in this website and I am finally making progress in flexibility. I don't think I will ever be "flexible" but it does help my exercise to have more mobility.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Do you like to use your roller before or after stretching?
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do both. I am not terribly systematic about the foam roller. I honestly don't know what is recommened but I'm sure you can find a youtube or something on the internet with recommendations. If you learn anything let me know. Last night after a run my left hip was really tight. My ankle was hurting so I was compensating and I'm sure that's why my hip was sore. I stretched for a bit first then went in with the roller. By the end of the foam roller, my hip was much looser and I stretched more after the roller because it felt so good. I mostly go off what feels good and trial and error.
  • DEIDRE345
    Options
    Under the advice of a dietician I have added a supplement to help with flexibility. It's made a world of different. I also have been very proactive in using the foam roller, often. And now do yoga one extra day a week as well, so minimum of 2 days.
    What is the supplement?
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have the foam roller but it hurts too much i also have tight calves, achille tendenitis, plantar faciats in both legs now from LACKl of stretching.. (so stupid as it seem si never learn until i can't walk anymore)

anyway i bought this hand held roller that volleyball players use and i roll it on my thighs, calves,bottom of feet.. all over my body it feels good and helps.. compared to the foam roller where you have to lay on it and then try to move your whole body over it this is hand held so you roll this roller over you

i like it much better and i use it more often
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ohh the other thing is MON A VIE i have a hard time finding it but it is the best supplement for me
    it has glucosamin in it and other stuff .. i can't take supplemnts in pill form and liquid vitamins taste horrible but this stuff taste great, has stuff in it, gives me energy and my joints do not hurt as much i feel like Dorothys scarecrow with a new body!!
    i've been taking join juice now but that doesn't seem to help at all
    so trying to find Mon A Vie again