Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Spag squash is great! I actually prefer it now over noodles. Also zucchini: use a veggie peeler or mandoline to cut thin broad strips, steam them, and top with whatever sauce you want.

thanks for the reply! i've got 2 zucchinis at home that i'll try that with! :)
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash! I've cooked it two different ways - the way most people have mentioned with cutting in half/scraping out seeds, cooking face-down in a pan. I've also just stabbed it a bunch of times with a knife and put it whole on a pan and cooked it that way as well. A lot easier to cut the second way since it gets soft in the oven.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I pike mine with a knife for steam vent holes, put in the microwave whole and cook for 8-10 min . let it cool enough to cut open, cool some more, then scrape seeds out and scrape out strands. It does not taste like spaghetti, but it is good to me...i love squash anyway. i eat it almost every night.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It is awesome stuff! My husband and I always eat it in the summer.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My mom and I made spaghetti squash last week. We cut it in half, removed the seeds, and cooked it in the microwave. Then we used a fork to scrape out the inside. It's not exactly like spaghetti, but it's similar. It has a buttery taste, and you can use marinara sauce or pesto - whatever you like!
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I cut mine in half, take out seeds and junk, cut some slits in it for ventilation, put in a small baking dish with plastic wrap over with holes poked in it and add a little water, then microwave for about 15 minutes. Start with less time and test with a fork.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    here's my go-to recipe for spaghetti squash:

Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Sausage

1 Whole spaghetti squash, medium
    1 package/4 links Aidells Apple and Smoked chicken sausage (Flavor of your choice, really. I love the apple ones so the nutrition facts below are based on those)
    1 medium yellow onion
    2 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
    1/2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
    ___
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Cut squash in half, length-wise. Remove seeds and unnecessary other guts. Season with your favorite spices (I used pepper).
    Place face down in a non-stick pan, if you do not have a non-stick pan, spray with pam or oil the pan with EVOO.
    Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check at 30minutes. You will know when the squash is done by taking a fork to it and scraping at the inside. When the squash comes away from the skin easily and looks like a bunch of pasta or strings, it's done. (Mine took 38 minutes last night)

While squash is baking, mince garlic and chop onion into small pieces. Do not mince the onion, you want pieces.
    Heat a tall pan or sauce pan and EVOO on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir often to keep from sticking and burning. Cook until onion is translucent.
    Slice sausages to your desired size. I cut mine into thin disks. Add to onions and garlic. If you used fully cooked sausages (aidells) heat through. If you used non-pre-cooked, cook until done.
    If the sausage mixture is done before the squash, cover and turn heat to low.
    Once squash is done, scrape squash into the sausage mixture pan. (If you know how to reduce the moisture of the spaghetti squash, please let me know... without adding sodium, it's salty enough as it is with the sausage)
    Mix together all ingredients until hot.
    Top with parmesan cheese if you'd like (I did).
    Consume and Enjoy!
    ___
    Nutritional facts: Makes 4 Servings (I cook for leftovers)
    TOTAL Cal: 884 / Fat: 50 / Sodium: 2697 / Chol: 343 / Carb: 54 / Protein: 54
    PER SERVING: Cal: 221 / Fat: 13 / Sodium: 674 / Chol: 86 / Carb: 14 / Protein: 14
    ___
    While the sodium is a little high, that's expected with sausage, and the cholesterol is a little steep, but that's to be expected with so much chicken. If those are your concerns, use fewer links. I used 4 because if BF didn't like the squash, at least he would have some sort of "meat" to make him happy.
  • suzshust
    suzshust Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've used zuchinni in place of noodles before. It can be a bit of work because you have to cut up the zuchinni. I've always blanched mine before putting the sauce on. Hmmm...maybe next time I'll mix spaghetti squash AND zuchinni (rainbow "pasta")
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have the same texture as regular spaghetti, it's more crunchy I guess? But you can definitely add on the same thing you'd add to pasta, like sauce and cheese for a lot less calories for a lot of volume.
    I stab it all over (20 holes or so) and microwave on paper towels for about 12 minutes depending on the size, then let it cool. Then I cut it open, throw away the very inner parts (mostly seeds) and scrape the rest out with a fork. One squash usually makes 2-4 meals for me of 2-cup servings each
  • bridgettx78
    bridgettx78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious... I may have to try this over the weekend... How long do you bake and at what temp? I've never cooked squash....
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    LOVE spaghetti squash it has the taste and texture of rice noodles.. great with spaghetti sauce.. if you are fortunate enough to be able to grow some..try the orange variety too - called Hasta Lapasta..it's awesome with cheese sauce
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's not the same as pasta, but works well. My beef with spaghetti squash is that it can be awfully wet - so I scrape the cooked flesh into a clean kitchen towel and literally wring it out. It's tricky to do while it's hot, but totally worth it IMHO. Makes a huge difference in the wetness/texture.

I cooke mine in the microwave for 8-10 minutes, til its softened, then cut in half...careful its HOT.. remove seeds and center pulp, then scrape out strands with a fork. Heat up a teeny bit of olive oil and cook strands for a few minutes in skillet with garlic and pepper...This will take the moisture out. Then we eat like real spaghetti..topped with lean homemade turkey marina/spaghetti sauce...YUMMY!!!!!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Do you cut it before you bake it or bake it whole? Thanks for the reply!

I cut it in half (kinda hard to do) and scoop out all the seeds and "hairy, furry guts". I rub olive oil and garlic all over the middle.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I bought my first spaghetti squash last night and I plan on making it Thursday night for dinner... Can't wait to try it out...
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow....I definitely need to try spaghetti squash. Sounds super easy to make.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am IN LOVE with spaghetti squash! I just made it for the first time monday night - and to me, it tasted JUST like angel hair pasta! I sauted some tomato, onion, and garlic and put it on top of the squash..it was amazing!

I plan on stocking up and making it many more times and trying different recipes!
  • Rwarnacutt
    Rwarnacutt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time. A bit crunchier but really good. Halve it length wise and scrape seeds out. Place face down on cooking sprayed sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees until rind it tender. Cool and scrape out "noodles" with a fork. Top with whatever you want.
  • hungriesmama13
    Options
    We cook it a couple times a month in our house. It is a little sweeter than pasta, but with sauce & low fat cheeses it can be a very good alternative to the carbs in pasta.
  • oct31x2
    Options
    I find it hard to cut and was given this tip: microwave it for at least 5 minutes, then cut it in half. I then wrap each half in saran wrap and put it back in the microwave for another 5 minutes or so. Then fork shred it. I always use this instead of pasta for spaghetti type dishes. Love it!!