Yoga & Muscle Building

Options
I'm blaming my scale on this whole situation, but thought I'd put it to the masses anyway.

I haven't weighed myself since Dec 4th...until today. I've been eating a LOT better than before, and going to 90 min Bikram Yoga classes almost daily for the past month. I've been drinking lots of water and staying away from booze (for the most part). I'm now able to fit into clothes that I couldn't even squeeze into months ago. I feel leaner, and look thinner (in my opinion anyway!)

So you can imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale this morning to find myself EIGHT pounds heavier than I was Dec 4th!!!

Is it possible I've gained THAT MUCH muscle from yoga? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Did you take before and current measurements?
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    That seems highly un-likely....something else must be going on! Bikram yoga is great for detoxifying the body and eliminating "build-up." I defiantly dont think you should be retaining water. I really dont think you can gain 8 pds of muscle in less than 2 months. Did you have a high-sodium, low water intake day yesterday or day before? you could be retaining water from that. I know I can retain up to 5 pds if I have a "binge" day....
  • cmbonacci
    Options
    You could easily be putting on more muscle!! Actually, I always gain weight when I first start working out. I'll look way thinner, but I'll put on around 5 pounds -- people started stopping me and telling me I looked way better. The trick is now to maintain that muscle, and be conscious of what you're eating. Now that you've built muscle, it will raise your metabolism and you'll lose weight much easier. Take measurements!! Seriously, its extremely motivational for moments like this.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    add some low level cardio three times a week. I absolutely cannot lose weight without cardio.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Water retention.

You cannot build muscle that fast especially on a calorie deficit. Most people don't gain any muscle on a calorie deficit (exception being morbidly obese folks).

Please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it was water retention, but I literally drink 160oz of water EVERY DAY. That's not a typo. If I'm not at work or at yoga, I swear I'm in the bathroom haha. I know I'm hydrated. And I try to keep my sodium around 1500mg. (usually closer to 2000mg)

I didn't do measurements, but I did notice my clothes are baggier! Perhaps it's just "one of those things". I'm gonna step on again next week, and see what happens.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    That seems highly un-likely....something else must be going on! Bikram yoga is great for detoxifying the body and eliminating "build-up." I defiantly dont think you should be retaining water. I really dont think you can gain 8 pds of muscle in less than 2 months. Did you have a high-sodium, low water intake day yesterday or day before? you could be retaining water from that. I know I can retain up to 5 pds if I have a "binge" day....

My weekend was NOT a good food weekend at all, so it could be carrying over from Sat/Sun. :) Good point!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better I'll bet you lost a good amount of inches. It's always a good idea to take measurements as well, there's been times I've lost no weight or gown up but still lost a few inches.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit and bikram yoga will not cause you to gain 8 pounds of muscle or even 1 pound

awesome that you did bikram 30 days straight tho!!!
  • chicabean420
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better I'll bet you lost a good amount of inches. It's always a good idea to take measurements as well, there's been times I've lost no weight or gown up but still lost a few inches.

I agree. I'm going to take some measurements and keep at it and go from there.
    caloric deficit and bikram yoga will not cause you to gain 8 pounds of muscle or even 1 pound

awesome that you did bikram 30 days straight tho!!!

Thanks! I'm also in the middle of a challenge, so by the end of it, I'll have been going for 45 days...I think I've only missed 4 days so far? I LOVE IT!! I crave it every day!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    I just completed a 30 day Bikram Yoga Challenge and I gained some weight as well. just a couple pounds but I also didn't drink and tried to eat healthier. My body is noticeably more toned and lean. I did take pics before and after and there is a difference. I regret not taking measurements unfortunately.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of weight from muscle that quickly--as others have pointed out, something else may be going on. That said, if your clothes fit better (suggesting your smaller) and you're happier with your body, does the number on the scale really matter. If you are taking better care of yourself and you feel better/healthier, I'd say ignore the scale, keep taking care of yourself. If you're really curious, try the scale again in a few days or a week, sometimes weights fluctuate.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the daily Bikram-- it's such an intense workout, and a lot of the regulars at my studio look sickly thin. I like to mix it up with other exercise.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Water retention.

You cannot build muscle that fast especially on a calorie deficit. Most people don't gain any muscle on a calorie deficit (exception being morbidly obese folks).

Please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Unfortunately I don't have the citations handy right now, but research shows that it is possible for people who are consistently performing strength building exercises (e.g. lifting weights, body weight exercises) and on a caloric deficit to gain muscle. They will tend to build muscle more slowly than those not on a deficit, but it is possible.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Be careful with the daily Bikram-- it's such an intense workout, and a lot of the regulars at my studio look sickly thin. I like to mix it up with other exercise.

Maybe it's not Bikram, or any type of exercise, that is making them that thin. Just a thought.
  • chicabean420
    Options

Maybe it's not Bikram, or any type of exercise, that is making them that thin. Just a thought.

I really don't think it's the Bikram that's making them "sickly thin". It's gotta be diet (or lack there of as well).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

respectfuly disagree...if I could I would do it everyday but time and distance from the studio doesnt allow. those that are sickly thin are that way by choice not because of bikram
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's TOM???
  • chicabean420
    Options
    Maybe it's TOM???

Maybe...I'll wait a few days, to see uh, what happens. haha
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Don't worry about the weight so long as the mirror is telling you otherwise. When you weighed yourself in Dec had you been weighing yourself daily? Within 24hrs my weight will fluctuate 2 or 3 pounds. You may have weighed yourself at a light point in dec and then at a heavy point recently. Weighing yourself more consistently will give you a better idea of what's actually happening.

FYI, Hot yoga will not detox you or remove build up. Only your liver, lungs, and kidneys can do that.