Are you unemployed and spending alot of time at home

Options
How do you keep from gaining weight? Or snacking out of boredom?

Replies

• fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work from home so I have that problem, i just don't buy what I don't want to eat! which is equally as hard when i pop to the shops, but out of sight out of mind right ;)
    I also have a really hard time getting up in the morning, so i usually try do some exercise right away to wake myself up!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm not "unemployed" per se, but I am a stay-at-home, work-at-home, homeschooling mom... so I spend a lot of time inside my house. LOL

1 - Don't have the junk food in the house. It's really hard to overeat on spinach and cauliflower.
    2 - Get busy, there is always plenty that needs to be done! Take the opportunity to REALLY clean your house, one room at a time, baseboards to ceiling. Make note of minor repairs that you could do yourself.
    3 - Go for walks when the weather is fit, and do at-home workouts if you can't go to the gym.
    4 - Go to the library and check out books on fitness, cooking, or something that interests you.
    5 - Look for community classes that you could get into.

When all else fails.... if your house is already immaculate and you have nothing in the house to read and nothing to do on the computer and you've already worked out and your meal prep is done for the rest of the day and there's no one you want to call on the phone or have over for a coffee.... go take a hot bath or a nap. :smile:
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been unemployed for the last year, and I've actually lost weight. Not a lot, but some. Not having easy access to already cooked food helps (where I worked had a cafeteria, and you could just have the price deducted from your next paycheck... I ate a lot there).
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm unemployed due to long term illness...it's definitely a huge challenge, can't lie...

There's really only one way for me to avoid eating the wrong foods-that is not buying them in the first place. Not having them in the house makes it a lot harder. I also try to fill my free time with my interests. For example I look at the opportunities I have with my days being free. Being free during the day has enabled me to join a swimming group for other people with chronic illness, which I just love!

I also have a cat, that I LOVE very much and I have fun playing with her, grooming her and just watching her makes me happy. I try to go for walks, sometimes if I have the money I like to go to town, go to the spa and get a facial or something and go out to lunch.

In the end though it is just about what I want-even though it is hard, I have to focus on the fact that I have a goal-and that goal requires sacrifice. If I see something I crave and want to eat it, I don't beat myself up for it, or feel horrible-I just focus on the fact that in that moment, I have two things I want-the good taste/comfort of that treat, and the long term goal of losing weight. I recognize that I cannot have both, and that to reach that long term goal, I have to sacrifice the desire for the treat. It is a way of being kind of myself and true to what I really want and I find it works for me when dealing with temptation.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been unemployed for 5 months now, and snacking out of boredom is my biggest downfall. I try as much as possible to stay active soing something around the house like cleaning, washing my car, cleaning out my closet, walking the dog, and of course working out at the gym. I find that when I'm not at home, avoiding those unnecessary snacks is so much easier.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom and I still buy the kids most of their goodies, just not my favorites, I stay out of their goodies, I buy goodies for myself my favorite teas, fiber one bars, skinny cow ice cream bars, etc, they stay out of my goodies. It helps to plan ahead I plan what i am going to eat. I even plan what I am going to snack on and I have my things I can eat quite a bit of popcorn and mini rice cakes, carrots, apples, etc......the key is to plan plan plan. It is when I dont plan that I get into trouble