Achiles pain or something else?

Options
I have been transitioning to barefoot running after having no end of issues with various running shoes. Up till a few days ago it was all perfect - no niggles. I ran for 25 minutes on Sunday (on soft grass) with no pain and felt fine after. Yesterday I did the same but now have niggles either side of my foot towards the back of the foot (near the heel) in the area I can only describe as just below and to the rear of the inner and outer ankle bones (I wish I could draw on here!)

I first though omg I have done my achilles but there is no pain either on walking or to touch right behind my heel or where the achilles attaches. So I am wondering what this pain is from (I can walk fine and the pain didn't increase running yesterday) but is quite tender to touch.

I am thinking ice, anti-inflammatories, massage and rest, but would hugely appreciate any advice.

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to transition into minimalist shoes (fivefingers) because I exercise better barefoot, and I am having some ankle and foot problems! I am not sure if I am going to be able to get used to it! It is a slow process I know......How is the bare feet other than the pain?
    I am icing taking ibuprofen and wrapping with an ankle brace, but guess that would be hard to do for achiles.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I am not certain this is achilles that is the problem. Other than this it has been the best move I have made!
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am no expert (so I know I shouldn't even be responding), but the heel is naturally sensitive. Expensive shoes have lots of heel support, and, over time, certain muscles in the foot are just not used. When we barefoot run or run in more minimalist shoes, we start using unused muscles and parts of the foot. Could be a transition. Definitely ice and rest. Don't overdo it, but it might be just that.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am no expert (so I know I shouldn't even be responding), but the heel is naturally sensitive. Expensive shoes have lots of heel support, and, over time, certain muscles in the foot are just not used. When we barefoot run or run in more minimalist shoes, we start using unused muscles and parts of the foot. Could be a transition. Definitely ice and rest. Don't overdo it, but it might be just that.

I would agree with this. I experienced the same thing at first. That eventually went away. Now my weak spot is my hip flexors. They get really sore because now I can run farther!
  • emmab0902
    Options

I would agree with this. I experienced the same thing at first. That eventually went away. Now my weak spot is my hip flexors. They get really sore because now I can run farther!
    Yep my sore spots keep moving. I think I am worried as hoping it isn't achilles. Other niggles I have run through but not sure about this one. Does it sound like the achilles or not given its not directly behind the heel.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No, sounds maybe like tibias anterior tendon. Take a look at some of the foot diagrams on Google Images and see what you think:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=foot+diagram+tendons&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tJYpT62rAa2v0AHT9dzZAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=935

I hurt this one running because of my leg length discrepancy. Icing 2-3x daily helped, but didn't cure it. One acupuncture treatment made it go away and it has not returned. Filming my gait analysis showed that I was turning my ankle inward for a fraction of a second in order to "hop" up to my longer leg. I did some physio to strengthen hips, and now run with a lift in order to hopefully prevent further injury.

Pam
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Hmmm not sure isn't that more associated with top of foot pain? Mine is best described as a diagonal line from ankle bone to heel. Does that make sense???
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It could be plantar fasciitis, and if it is,it totally sucks.

Try freezing a water bottle and rolling your foot over it from the toes to the heel, it helps a great deal.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have bursa pads on either side of your foot between the ankle bone and achilles tendon...could be a little bursitis. If you notice a bump forming, then that's likely the issue. Very sensitive to touch as the bursa swells. Definitely ice and use anti-inflammatories, but check with your doctor to be sure.

I can tell you, that if this is the condition, you can still run with it...just try to stay on flat surfaces. My boyfriend has been running with this condition for several months, but the only treatment he's done is icing. It flares up after he races in a flat, which is very similar to a minimalist shoe. A sports medicine doctor might have you do some ultrasound and/or stem treatment to help aid in recovery, but if I were you, I'd get it checked out early on so you can try to avoid it getting worse.
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with heel pain (especially on the sides below the ankle bone) most of my adult life. I finally found a stretch that helps and it is so easy. Just pull your toes up toward your shins. I do it all throughout the day and then right before I go to sleep. It works wonders for me.
  • amandamickey
    Options
    If you continue to have pain, you may want to go to a podiatrist and have a professional check out your feet! I played competitive soccer for many years with achilles pain and finally went to a doctor and found out I have severe achilles tendonitis (the fix is wearing custom made orthodics). Hopefully you won't have to resort to that, but keep it in mind if the pain persists!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    I can't work out exactly which bit it is - it could be what looks on diagrams like the medial and lateral malleolus which apparently have bursa. It doesnt hurt to stand on toes or to flex foot back, but twinges if i pull foot to either side. I went for a long walk (on hills) tonight and it was ok, so will keep up the anti-inflammatories and massage and hope for the best.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The medial and lateral malleolus are the actual ankle bone that you see on the side of your foot. The bursa is between the achilles tendon and the heel bone and is a really common injury in runners. If you push on either side of the achilles, you might feel a spongy resistance, which would be an inflammed bursa. And this injury is commonly mistaken for achilles tendonitis. If this is the case, you've gotta stay off the hills because it'll become worse, and avoid the massage as well as that will continue to irritate it.

If I were you, I'd get in with a sports medicine doctor. Your regular MD will prescribe an anti-inflammatory, but there are other treatment methods available that'll help, like ultrasound. And, in the case that this is your achilles tendon that's giving you the problems, you've gotta be really careful.

I know I'm sounding pushy, but as a fellow runner, I think you'd be better off getting the proper treatment and getting better rather than trying to guess what's wrong on a website that lacks medical expertise, trying to treat an injury incorrectly and making it worse. And because of the injury being in your foot and causing concern about your achilles tendon, if it isn't treated properly, it could affect your ability to walk...if something happens to that tendon, you can kiss your running workouts goodbye. In this situation, since you are just beginning to have pain, you can get it early enough and have minimal treatment...but if you continue to guess at what it can be and mistreat the injury, you could aggravate it to the point of needing an operation.

I'm saying this out of concern and not trying to be condescending in any way. I would just hate to see you unable to run and do something you love because a bunch of us amateurs are trying to tell you what's wrong with your foot, which all require different types of treatments and where proper treatment of one injury can aggravate another. Our feet are very complex and even professionals have to take their time and push, pull and prod on them to determine the injuries. :flowerforyou:
  • emmab0902
    Options
    We don't have any sports medicine doctors here but will try to see my regular doctor in the next few days.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Went to doc today and he says its from bruised heel. Er except no bruising, and I don't heel strike when running. So I dunno!!!