Is it bad to go over on your daily protein?

Options
I dont have any trouble staying in my limits on calories, fat, or carbs...but I can't for the life of me seem to stay under on protein. I always go over my alloted amount and Im just wondering, is that bad? Will it interfere with my weight loss? I just dont feel full on the amount of protein that Im supposed to be eating. Any advice?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If anything, MFP sets it very low by default. Don't worry about it, at all.
  • sherrywtrmn
    sherrywtrmn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No, you can go up to however much you weight. Ex. if you weigh 130, you can eat 130 g of protein. That's what my personal trainer told me
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have this too, always down on carbs and fat, but because I eat lots of chicken and vegetables I'm always over on protein. Hope someone can advise
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Me too, always over on Protein but not the rest. I've only been doing this for 3 and a bit weeks and have lost 11lbs so far but not sure how it will go in the long run.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I hope you're right! lol :) Thanks
  • sma83
    Options
    No, you can go up to however much you weight. Ex. if you weigh 130, you can eat 130 g of protein. That's what my personal trainer told me
    That would be good! Im gonna do some research and see what I can find on that! Thanks!!! :)
  • nikolaim5
    Options

She is correct. I eat more than 210g of protein per day.
  • darylinny
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist say that women need at least 90mg of protein per day and the amount alotted on MFP is to low. My personal trainer said protein is a key for recovery purposes especially after a hard core workout. You should check with your doctor at your next physical to see if the alottment of protein is on target for you.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    You can change your macro goals on MFP. Go Home/Goals/Change Goals/Custom. I have mine set to 35/30/35 and I usually go over on protein
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the goal on here is crazy low. I only eat one meal a day with any meat in it and I'm still usually over by at least half.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If you think I'm a 'she', I worry about your taste in women :P
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i'm over everyday and usually by a lot
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Protein is really good for you, so it's fine, probably better if you go over. Helps your muscles rebuild after a workout, helps wounds heal, keeps you alert. But if you get a lot and don't balance it out with fiber, you might get stopped up. Make sure you eat your veggies for roughage!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    220 grams of protein a day for me. :P It's perfectly fine for you. Plus it is usually in stuff that tastes awesome!
  • sma83
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel soooo much better now cus MFP has me set to like 56g a day or something and Im eating like double that! I was really worried I was going to ruin my chances of loosing weight. Im so thankful for my MFP community! You guys rock!!! :)
  • Sarareneephoto
    Sarareneephoto Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also if you are trying to build muscle, you should go over your weight in Grams with protein intake.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It depends on your lifestyle and how much you're going over in terms of protein. I do a pretty rigorous workout schedule of strength training and anaerobic cardiovascular exercise, so I need extra protein and aim for a ratio of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, but it's dangerous to be overwhelmingly over in protein. It messes with your ketone levels. I highly doubt you're over enough to cause any damage, unless you're on one of those crazy no-carb diets. I wouldn't worry about it. If you were over on fats, then there might be cause for concern.

If the majority of your protein is coming from meat, you might want to have your cholesterol checked, as people who eat a lot of meat tend to have higher cholesterol. If it's coming from plant-based foods, then there is no cholesterol to worry about :)
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It depends on your lifestyle and how much you're going over in terms of protein. I do a pretty rigorous workout schedule of strength training and anaerobic cardiovascular exercise, so I need extra protein and aim for a ratio of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat,

Macronutrient needs should NOT be based on a ratio of total calorie intake such as the one quoted. Your levels should relate back to your body and its needs in terms of lean mass and activity.

ahinski's mention of the 40:30:30 ratio is also known as the "zone diet." But people have experienced success with this diet. It's supposed to keep you energized as well. Nonetheless, the ratio idea is flawed. Just FYI.
  • nikolaim5
    Options

Oops lol, I was looking at sma83's picture when I hit the quote button. Sorry :)
  • sma83
    Options

Oops lol, I was looking at sma83's picture when I hit the quote button. Sorry :)
    At least you noticed that I was a girl! lol Im used to people literally looking thru me-especially men- so its nice to be noticed and to be correctly identified as a woman! lol ;)