Spaghetti Squash

Options
13»

Replies

• kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i use cabbage leaves to replace lasagna noodles and its really good.
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just cooked one for the first time on Sunday and it was pretty easy to do. I poked a bunch of holes in it and cut it after it was cooked. I was able to eat it as a side dish for three separate meals and look forward to trying it different ways as it was quite tasty. What a great food at only 42 calories a cup!
  • knelson422
    Options
    Top with some grilled chicken, sauteed spinach, and sauce, really good.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time! I generally don't have a lot of time to bake it in the oven, so i put it in the microwave for a little bit first with some holes poked into it, because it's easier to cut. Then I cut it in half and put it face down with some water into a small pyrex dish and nuke for around 10 min. I usually put sauce over it or i'll do diced tomato, ground beef and mozzarella or pecorino romano. It's good with just about anything and very filling.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have heard you can bake a spaghetti squash and then take a fork and rake it down the squash and it makes noodle like strands, has the same consistency as spaghetti noodles and doesnt really have a taste and then put what ever sauce you want on it anyone tried this? I looked up the nutrition for it and 1 cup is 42 cal where spaghetti noodles is 210. That would be great if I can make that substitution.

I love it.

Sitr Fried, marinara or alfredo sauce...........salt, pepper, butter and garlic and parmesan cheese. YUM. I love it any way you can dress it up.

I am actually making some tonight with italian sausage and home made marinara sauce.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Each time we go shopping we're trying to pick up something we've never had before and last week it was spaghetti squash. It was pretty cool (was fun/neat the way the flesh pulled away in strands) and tasted great (mild flavor, sort of crunchy) and considering how few calories it has we'll definitely be having it again!

We used it just like we would pasta and served it with a red sauce and chicken meatballs but I don't think I'll be serving it that way again because even though it tasted good the red sauce and yellow squash was kind of orange on the plate and just looked unappetizing. Next time, I'm going to try it with olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and Parmesan similar to this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump! Idk I haven't tried this yet! lol :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    i use cabbage leaves to replace lasagna noodles and its really good.

I do almost the same as you but I use sliced zucchini strips instead....the bigger the zucchini the better (fatter noodles). Cabbage is a great idea...might have to try it...... thanks!
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love It!
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump - finally bought one today!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Had it for the first time last night on Valentines Day! It was wonderful... a new fav!
  • mylilliam
    mylilliam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I <3 spaghetti squash it is my fav =) Having it tomorrow night!!! Keep the other recipes coming I am always looking for new ways to dress it up =)
  • Wilson336
    Options
    It is a decent low-calorie alternative to spaghetti, but the taste is markedly different. There is a definite sweet, "squashy" type taste, thought it is relatively mild. For me it quickly gets too sweet unless I cook it with garlic and pepper. Spaghetti sauce mixed in does give you the feel of spaghetti.
  • ivyvine22001
    ivyvine22001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Totally YUMMY! I cook mine in the microwave.. I just poke holes with a fork and cook for about 5-8 min... cut, scoop out the seeds and use a fork to separate the strands... I hate squash, but looove this! I usually put a bit of tomato sauce over it... good luck!