Polar FT7 Question. Please Advise

Options
I just got a heart rate monitor ( polar FT7) and i used it for zumba. It said I burned 573 calories and that i was in the "fitness" level burning carbs for 51:00 and only in fat burn for like 2:00. Does that really matter or should I just be concerned about the calories burned????

Thanks!

Replies

• sproeber89
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much, I always figure for me it's more about calories lost. Others might say different but thats just my two cents.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it unless you intentionally set your zones up to stay within a certain range.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The fat loss range is a low BPM and the Fitness level is a higher BPM, that's all! Eventually your health and cardio will improve and you will stay in the fat burn longer. My fat burn BPM is anything under 125BPM...Anything over that is called fitness.
  • britlem
    britlem Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dum question. I've seen on lots of posts ...bump.. whats that?
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bumps move a topic back to the first position of a particular bulletin board system. It is an attempt to encourage more posts and replies to a particular topic that might otherwise be lost to obscurity. +1s are typically the same thing but imply an agreement with a particular poster.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I usually only pay attention to calories burned...
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    since the FT7 doesn't do a VO2 max test don't worry about the zones, just the cals.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Ya zumba is cardio... for sure.. if you want burn fat soley stick to a lower impact exercise.
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    The fat loss range is a low BPM and the Fitness level is a higher BPM, that's all! Eventually your health and cardio will improve and you will stay in the fat burn longer. My fat burn BPM is anything under 125BPM...Anything over that is called fitness.

how in the heck did you figure that out?
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options

how in the heck did you figure that out?

It should explain this in the manual.
  • britlem
    britlem Posts: 49
    Options
    Dum question. I've seen on lots of posts ...bump.. whats that?

bump means that you are pulling the thread up again basically put it at the beginning of the list.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I use it for Zumba, and BodyPump and always just use it for calories burned. YouTube the FT7 watch...Polar does have really good videos on their watches.
  • lms333
    lms333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter the zone. You'd have to work a lot longer "in the zone" to achieve the same fat burn over the zone. Example from Jillian Michaels, "in a half hour of low-intensity (in the zone) you might burn 100 calories. Of those 100, roughly 80% will be fat calories, meaning you've burned 80 fat calories. In that same half hour of high intensity you might burn 300 calories. Of those 300, roughly 33% will be fat calories, meaning you've burned 100 fat calories." Makes sense to me, thought it may help others out pondering the same.

I'd just focus on the calorie burn unless you're an athlete trying to achieve endurance and such. Best of luck!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hey, nice burn!

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Polar videos. I just ordered my FT7 but haven't gotten it yet. I'll check those out for sure!
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So would you rather burn calories in the Fat burning zone or Fitness zone? When I do my cardio I push myself to go beyond my max HR for my age =85% of (220-age) to around 176 bpm.
    Which zone is better if you are trying to loose body fat% and gain muscle
  • scubagal71
    scubagal71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    interesting, I just used it for the first time and I only was in the fatburning zone for 38 seconds. bummer. I guess it doesn't matter, but I don't really understand how it all works.