Tuna Lovers! HELP!

Options

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I too eat tuna straight from the tin, sometimes with a shot of mustard, other times just straight.... I’ve scrambled it with eggs and green onions...

I was eating it every single day until somebody pointed out the dangers of mercury poisoning related to Tuna. And although I typically do not heed what the American government says is safe for me. The information I read caused me to stop and think... now I just have it 2-3 times a week and I truly miss it.

You should buy canned Tuna as it has considerably less Mercury than Tuna Steaks :))

Chunk light from a can is all I have ever eaten, the FDA still recomends limited intake.

for somebody like me, 172 lb male, According to FDA health standards, you can safely eat 15.7 ounces of Light tuna tuna per week (assuming that every can of tuna has an average amount of mercury*). That's 2 and two thirds cans of tuna.

here is some additional reading.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mroussell5.htm
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    oh man i shouldn't even be on this thread i'm so hungry, but when i'm in a rush, this is my go to tuna dinner:

1 box annie's mac and cheese
    1 can tuna
    1 bag frozen steamer veggies

Make the mac according to pacakge directions (use less butter if you want). While it's cooking, heat the veggies in the microwave. When it's all done, add the tuna and veggies to the mac and stir it up. Only takes 15 minutes and is delicious everytime. I'll eat half and save the rest for lunch the next day.

There a tons of great tuna casseroles also. I found this one that looks good and can be easily adjusted to be gluten and/or dairy free:

Spicy Tuna Casserole
    prep time: 10 minutes
    cook time: 30 minutes
    serves 8

INGREDIENTS

“Cream” of mushroom soup
    1 1/4 c plain almond milk
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 cup canned mushrooms, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 tbsp glutinous rice flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    dash pepper

Casserole
    1/2 package rizopeia curly pasta
    1/2 can peaches and cream corn
    1 can clover leaf spicy thai tuna
    1 tbsp bonito flakes (optional)
    2 slices allergen-free bread of your choice
    1/2 cup daiya cheddar style shreeded cheese

DIRECTIONS
    1 Preheat oven to 375 C
    2 Make pasta according to directions on package.
    3 Meanwhile, warm the almond milk in a microwave for about 1 minute.
    4 Sautee onion and mushrooms in vegetable oil, then add rice flour..
    5 Slowly add in the warm almond milk, whisk until into a thick creamy texture. This also thickens upon cooling, so take that into consideration for how thick you want it.
    6 Drain pasta, then combine with “cream of mushroom” soup, corn, bonito flakes and tuna in a casserole dish.
    7 Top with bread (toasted and cut into cubes) and cheese.
    8 Bake 20-30 minutes until bread looks dried out. Take out of oven and enjoy.
  • JNGAL
    JNGAL Posts: 1
    Options
    I just made tuna with laughing cow cheese wedges

1 can tuna
    2 wedges of laughing cow cheese (garlic & herb)
    2 pieces of toast

Spread tuna mixture on toast and enjoy!
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    yum! thanks!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you wear a rhinestone collar with a little bell attached, it makes tuna taste better.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's not as low-cal because of the cheese, but you can use 2%:

Toasty Tuna Casserole

4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted in the toaster
    2 cans tuna in water, drained
    1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed (I use the fat free stuff)
    1 small package frozen mixed vegetables
    ~12 slices block cheddar cheese, or 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Line a 9x9" baking pan with alminum foil.
    Place the toasted bread slices to cover the bottom of the pan.

Mix tuna, condensed soup, and frozen vegetables in a bowl. (You can add pepper and other seasonings to taste.)

Spread the tuna mixture over the toast, and top with cheese as desired. Cover with another piece of foil.

Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and tuna is heated through.

I call it 4 servings, and I can take one in my lunch each day afterwards and nuke it in the microwave. ^_^

My tuna fetish is draining the juice into a glass and drinking it. I don't do it anymore, but I used to! My theme song for life is the Bumblebee tuna remix song, and my classic response to someone telling me there's tuna is, "Mmmm. Food of the Egyptian cat gods!"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My husband likes my tuna pasta...
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    Yes, but are spiders involved in any way?
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Some Canadian hobos smell like tuna.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    Some Canadian hobos smell like tuna.
    It's all the mercury.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I wouldn't know...his job is to kill the spiders
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    I wouldn't know...his job is to kill the spiders

* deleted because I decided that this was not appropriate to say. carry on
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat tuna sandwiches with half an avocado, eggless mayo, and sriracha. Actually my lunch for today.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    * deleted because I decided that this was not appropriate to say. carry on
    Aw, c'mon! What was it?!
  • Qarol
    Options
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options

ha... I saw before you changed it. Instigator.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think I have the strangest one yet, since my husband is the only person who wasn't too scared to try it:

1 can of tuna
    2 tablespoons of sweet relish
    1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

It's more of a sweet tuna, but I love it on whole wheat crackers. I can't stand mayo, eggs, mustard, etc. I have no idea how I came across this strange concoction.

I had never tried the balsamic vinegar before, though I am a big fan of sweet pickle relish with tuna. I mix the relish in with the tuna and miracle whip in my grilled tuna sandwiches. So good. Thanks for the balsamic vinegar idea. Tuna and crackers rocks!
  • gemini05
    Options
    I mix can tuna, little mayo and dill pickle relish to make tuna salad. I put it on Rice Cake which gives you a crunch also.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I too eat tuna straight from the tin, sometimes with a shot of mustard, other times just straight.... I’ve scrambled it with eggs and green onions...

I was eating it every single day until somebody pointed out the dangers of mercury poisoning related to Tuna. And although I typically do not heed what the American government says is safe for me. The information I read caused me to stop and think... now I just have it 2-3 times a week and I truly miss it.

This. I love tuna too and it's a great source of protein, but the mercury dangers do scare me, so i limit it a lot. I ate it a little bit while pregnant too because i craved it. I thought i read somewhere that the chunk light stuff (as opposed to solid) has less mercury in it. So I do buy chunk light low sodium in water.
  • ohmywonwon
    Options
    I love eating tuna in salad. The recipe I've been using is grated carrot and zuchini, chopped spring onion, lettuce, spinach, lemon juice, minced garlic, avocado and a bit of olive oil. It's super yummy! I also like tuna with brown rice, spring onion, minced garlic and soy sauce!