Stronglifts 5x5 for women?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I'm currently in stage 5 of new rules of lifting for women. I'm looking ahead to what I'm going to do next. I came across stronglifts and it looks interesting. I see that it's aimed at men but can women do it too? Also, is it easy to do at home? I have a home gym so I don't have any machines or cables. I have an olympic barbell and a bunch of plates. I like the idea of heavy lifting so I'm hoping this would be a good program to transition into after new rules. Opinions?

Replies

• oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend doing 5x5 at home unless you have a squat rack and good bench. It's too easy to get hurt trying to lift heavy. You may be able to start light as the program says, but sooner or later you will get to some heavy weights that can't be managed without the proper equipment. I use my local high school weight room and that works out great. Free and easy access. Download 5x5 stronglifts and read thru it carefully. Then, check out a bunch of vids on how to perform the proper lifts. After that, try and simulate each lift to develop the proper flexibility, especially for the squat. I jumped right into the program and paid the price of not doing things correctly and had to start over. Getting to parallel or lower on the squat with proper form is very hard for me.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a good program and I don't see why it wouldn't work for women as long as you make smaller increments in weight. What is the lightest plate you have? I'd say 1.25 lb (so you can jump up by 2.5 lb every workout) would be best if you want to make linear gains.
    As oaker said, technique is very important. Not only will you prevent injuries, you will get stronger because you're working the right muscles with correct leverage. That's why when you start, you start very light so you have a few weeks to improve your technique before you're really pushing yourself. If you ever feel like your technique is falling apart, do that weight again next time or deload if it's becoming a problem.
  • idauria
    Options
    My lightest plates are 2.5lbs so the smallest increment I'd be able to increase is 5 lbs. I hope that's not too much.

I am not married to this program yet. I am still looking out there for a good strength training program. I just happened to come across stronglifts and wondered if it would be right for me. It very well might not.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I've been doing this program for 10 weeks now...i'm really surprised to say it works. Although I still do isolation exercises...I teach classes, so it's unavoidable. I'm still seeing really great results. Whatever workout a man can a woman can do it too. I squat heavier then any man in my gym, and my bench is getting stronger as well.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is another popular beginner's routine. It has slightly less volume (3x5 as opposed to SL's 5x5) so it will be less taxing on your body.
  • idauria
    Options
    Starting Strength is another popular beginner's routine. It has slightly less volume (3x5 as opposed to SL's 5x5) so it will be less taxing on your body.

Thanks, I'll look into that too.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I also found Stronglifts online recently and thought it sounded like a good plan. I want to go for simple compound exercises instead of lots of different isolation ones. I'm still waiting for my News Rules of Lifting for Women book to arrive in the mail, so I'm not sure what I'll actually end up using. But Stronglifts did catch my attention...

Any other women doing this or contemplating do it?
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I'm now onto DC training.. think this will be much more effective to get me to where I want to be.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've recently been looking into it as well. I'm in the middle of New Rules of Lifting for Women, but think I'd enjoy the Stronglifts program. Interested in any other feedback.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    5x5 is great for women, if you already have basic squat, dead-lift, and bench strength i wouldn't start back at zero though, you will lose some of your gains. If anything start around 40%

While i like the program New Rules, i do NOT like that its called New Rules, the rules have never changed, woman just got distracted with lame programs and "toning" over the last few decades.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just started this plan last night and I really think I'm going to like it. I've been doing the NROLFW since September and made it to Stage 5, but found myself dreading the workouts and wishing I could just to squats and deadlifts instead. Well, with Stonglifts, that's about all I'll be doing, so that seems perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can lift by the end of 12 weeks. I doubt I'll be able to a 5 pound increase on every exercise every time, but I will do my best to try! When I added it up, I could be squatting 240 pounds by April. That would be awesome. I especially like that it was quick and simple - no alternating sets, no remembering how to do what I wanted to do.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I just started this plan last night and I really think I'm going to like it. I've been doing the NROLFW since September and made it to Stage 5, but found myself dreading the workouts and wishing I could just to squats and deadlifts instead. Well, with Stonglifts, that's about all I'll be doing, so that seems perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can lift by the end of 12 weeks. I doubt I'll be able to a 5 pound increase on every exercise every time, but I will do my best to try! When I added it up, I could be squatting 240 pounds by April. That would be awesome. I especially like that it was quick and simple - no alternating sets, no remembering how to do what I wanted to do.

Oh, good for you :) Yeah, I've been reading NROL4W, SS and SL... just figured that SL might present a problem with the 5 lb increase. Not sure it would be 5x5 anymore if it gets to the point where I'd be constantly deloading and stalling. So, I've decided to go with Starting Strength. Just setting up my bench/rack and stuff today in the spare bedroom. Will be lifting with the 45 lb bar tonight if everything gets set up as planned. We only have two 45 lb plates, so I'm shopping around Craigslist for more plates.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    I just bought New Rules for my GF, it's great. My one gripe is that I wished they'd used multiple female models with various body types. I know some girls are going to look at the model and say, "Her muscles are too bulky!"
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did SL 5x5 for about 5 weeks. I only did it Mondays and Fridays (and modified the start weight) as I had speed goals I was also trying to reach, and it got to a point where one goal was interfering with the other. I will go back and start again (probably not from the beginning) in a few weeks. I really enjoyed it, got my squat up to 170lbs, and I noticed a lot more definition in my arms while continuing to lose weight. Definitely recommend trying it, even if you adapt it a bit to meet your needs.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I just bought New Rules for my GF, it's great. My one gripe is that I wished they'd used multiple female models with various body types. I know some girls are going to look at the model and say, "Her muscles are too bulky!"

The girls who do probably should set the book down and go back and pick up their barbie weights :) If that chick is "bulky" then it's a sad world we live in.
  • 5x5userB
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts for about 15 weeks now. I dieted a ton last summer before hand and the 5x5 program basically allowed me to drop the diet.

I think it will work great for women. The volume of squats is going to make your stomach and oblique muscles transform quickly. My only regret is that I didn't start at the bottom weight and work up. As a result I got to a mx weight too quickly on bench and overhead presses and stalled a bit. Now my strengths are pretty good and I'm mostly doing 3x5.

Squat is the best way to drive total body fitness so I'm a big believer. You just have to be willing to get under the weight every other day with very heavy weight. Once you get to your squat limits this program is exhausting, but so worth it.

In July I was 230 lbs. now I'm 180. About 15 lbs of that fat loss came due to SL.

Chicklidell are you really squatting more than any man in the gym? You're either a freak of nature or are working out at a women only gym. :)
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump
  • ANewCK
    ANewCK Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, just found this thread and wanted to know if any of the ladies stuck with Stronglifts 5x5 ? I'm starting it and was hoping for some feedback. Anyone do the whole 12 weeks?
  • YouAreYourChoices
    YouAreYourChoices Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FeebaLeeba
    FeebaLeeba Posts: 7
    Options
    I am reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and I also became interested in stronglifts. I have already started at home with my free weights and have decided that until I join a gym, which will hopefully be soon, I will just make some minor adjustments to my routine to build strength until I can get to a place that has a power rack. No way I could do the squats with anyting over 50 lbs just because I would have to lift it over my head to get it on my shoulders. So I will just focus on doing the 50 lbs with the squats for now...The bench press is another issue. I gave mine away last year after I simply had zero room in my apartment. So I have been using barbells and just pressing from the floor, which isn't quite the same range of motion, but it's a start. This is really just temporary. But honestly, the last time I was into lifting I only did a few compound exercises like deadlifts and goblet squats a few times a week and felt fantastic and looked really good too. No one could believe that I was as heavy as I was because I looked much slimmer. The key with this program is simple: Lift heavy, use compound exercises. If you do those things, you can start from home and move to a gym when you get bored...like I always inevitably do. But that's why I will be joining the gym soon. I have never belonged to a gym in my life. But this is for a permanent change so I gotta do it.