Women! Weight Lifting! Why so scary!

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Agree. I really don't like cardio, I like weight lifting sooo much better, and the results are awesome. :)

Me too!!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As long as I don't see someone doing bosu ball lunges with 2 lb dumbbells, I am good.

This, most definitely.

Lifting is fun. I switched from running only (running is how I lost ALL my weight) but barely build any strength in terms of muscle development. Took me the longest time to get from girly pushups to doing the actual pushup.

It's a slow progress. But one that is most certainly worth it.

So if you feel awkward doing it, don't. You get better with time and you will start intimidating people yourself ;-)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Speaking of weight lifting, I'm signing up for a gym membership tomorrow. The problem is, I can not afford a PT and I have NO clue what I'm doing or how to get started . . . what exercises, how much weight, how many reps, etc.

Can anyone guide me to a free source for this type of information? Website? I need all the help and guindance I can get.

Thank you!!!

Here is a slideshow from Self Magazine that can help. I found another one recently, but it is buried in another forum and I have to wait until I get home to find it... but when I do I will post it here.

http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2009/02/easy-ways-to-shape-up-indoors-slideshow#slide=1
  • Sarareneephoto
    Sarareneephoto Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love strength training! I've definitely seen improvement and I am burning more fat!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Speaking of weight lifting, I'm signing up for a gym membership tomorrow. The problem is, I can not afford a PT and I have NO clue what I'm doing or how to get started . . . what exercises, how much weight, how many reps, etc.

Can anyone guide me to a free source for this type of information? Website? I need all the help and guindance I can get.

Thank you!!!

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is only about $12.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ive been through three knee surgeries and the key to strengthing your knees are to work on your quads! I started with alot of calisthetics because it uses body weight and doesnt put stress on your knees, then I eventually worked myself up to squats and lunges using weight. Now im using machines at low weight and am working my way up :)
  • Cnice
    Cnice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! me too! OMG I know I need to be over there building my strength but geesh is some many guys over there hogging the area. I have to get up early in the morning to go but when I go in the evenings I go in women only section which doesnt have half of the cool stuff that's in the main section! :ohwell:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy watching the women lift weights at the gym. Not because I am a perv, but I know how beneficial it is and I always know the weight lifting girls "get it". When I see a woman doing something silly I really try hard to resist the temptation to go over and help them (correct form, or tell them to do more weight, lol).

As long as I don't see someone doing bosu ball lunges with 2 lb dumbbells, I am good. Happy for them. And most importantly, I respect them for doing it because I know it can be intimidating.

you should tell them. I would totally appreciate it because its really hard to see your own form on something like a squat or deadlift (even in front of a mirror) and compare it to videos you watched and stuff.

But dammit would you guys layoff the bosu ball? I used to love that stupid thing, its like that toy we had as kids where you balance on a little platform around a rubber ball? Only it costs like 8 times as much and supports an adult. Seriously they are pretty fun to balance on. and jump on and off. After a while the fun wears off (just like the toy did!) but for a while they are good times.
  • Cnice
    Cnice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have HUGE shoulders so I really don't want to get bigger there... yeah they say women don't have enough testosterone to get big but I have a testosterone problem, so while I'm sure I don't have as much testosterone as a man, I'm afraid that I will get big.

Do you have PCOS? I do not find your shoulders to be "HUGE" and broad shoulders are sexy!

I have big shoulders too and big arms! My upper body needs work!:embarassed:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Rebekah, your timing is impeccable! I just got 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' in the mail yesterday and started reading it last night. A lot of what I am reading in there dovetails perfectly with the information I'm reading about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. So this morning, instead of going to the gym and doing 65 minutes on the elliptical, I went back to weights, only instead of focusing on reps, I upped all the weights to the most I could handle and only did one set of each. And in between, I did some cardio (HIIT on the elliptical kinda made me feel like I was going to die after, but during, I was a machine!!) and ab workouts. I used my HRM for the first time, so I got a good estimate of calories burned.

Plus, I go so early in the morning, I mostly only see the folks who work at the school or hospital, my favorite coworker, and one military guy, so it isn't too intimidating if I can get up early enough. I'm excited to be changing the focus of my workouts, and look forward to building a lot more muscle, and hopefully burning more fat as well. Until this morning's weigh-in, I hadn't lost anything in about 6 weeks or more. I'm still going to be doing the 30-Day Shred, because even without the weight loss, I have lost SIGNIFICANT inches while doing that. But the rest of my workouts will minimize cardio and include a lot more weights from now on. Glad to know I'm not alone!

AWESOME. I read the New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women too. I totally want to do it, but I found stage 1 to be really painful. The squats/deadlifts were agony for back/hips. I backed off and eased into the lifting from a different direction, as well as did some strengthening exercises for my back/hips. However, after today, I'm seriously thinking I can start New Rules again. I tried deadlifts again today and not only could I lift twice what I lifted before, but I am completely pain free right now. Sooooooo I'll give squats a try next time and if I can do that, I'm so starting again.

I hope you love it. I'm excited for you that you're going to start lifting.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Ok so I have a question. I have done NROL4W before and I loved it. I gained a lot of strength and muscle (not defined yet as I went back to old habits of cardio).

Anyway my question is the last time I started doing heavy weights, I was at near perfect weight for my height. 5" 4' and about 120 lbs. I maintained my weight and ate like a dog and looked better.

This time around, I have had a baby 9 months back and am around 136 lbs. Do I need to shed the 10 lbs or so before I venture out fully with this program or can I start doing this again full heartedly and 'Look' the same. Don't really care too much about the number on the scale. I really want to look just lean.

Right now I have been doing Interval training for about 50 mins about 3 times a week. My off days, I usually do yoga or just walk.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am confused

I hope you don't wait to lose the 10 lbs. I've got another 60 that I wanna lose. I figure I've got a reasonable amount of muscle right now (I'd have to... I've been carrying around and extra 50 to 100 lbs for the last 15 years) and I'd like to keep as much of the muscle as I can! But I know losing weight always results in at least a little muscle loss. Soooo.... I'm hoping my body will be all "damn, if she's gonna keep lifting all these heavy things, we'd better use the fat for energy and not all that lovely protein in her quads".
  • LabRat529
    Options

Thank you!!!

I bet you could find some books at the library. I also made friends on MFP who lift and some of them have kindly linked me some you tube videos showing correct lifting form on deadlifts/squats. And my sister lifts, so I can always bug her.

But check the library. A lot of people like the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    there are 3 basic phases to a periodized model of training. Adaptation: strengthening core stablizing main joints, preparing them for load. Also this is the phase that a trainer will "take care of you" develop a habit of going to the gym. Next is the Stregth phase, a phase that most women will skip all together (for all the myths we all know hear about) this is where we need to increase the muscle tissue in your body. The reason for this is, the more muscle tissue on your body the higher your metabolic rate is at rest. (means you burn more calories while you are at your desk) next is the Metabolic phase where our focus should be on burning fat, so increasing the intensity and getting that heart rate up while taking the external stress off the body , giving it a chance to fully recover. This is a phase that most guys dont do, and they stay in the strength phase WAY too long leading to decreased strength, size, and INJURIES.

Women need to lift! a womens muscle is no different than a man's muscle. I know what you're going to say "but i dont want to get big and bulky" women have 1/8 the testosterone as guys and it takes a guy a long time to "build " muscle.

hope this helps. but LIFT and lift as heavy as you can, Women usually underestimate themselves with how strong they really are.

Matt

This is very helpful information. I've actually been wondering do I build muscle then lose fat or vice versa. Thanks :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting builds muscle. Muscle burns fat, even when you are doing nothing. Ergo, if you want to lose fat, build muscle.

You lose fat because you are burning calories while lifting. The increase in how many calories your body burns at rest due to muscle is actually very small. Plus as the other posts have pointed out, women don't build that much muscle.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Thank you!!!

I bet you could find some books at the library. I also made friends on MFP who lift and some of them have kindly linked me some you tube videos showing correct lifting form on deadlifts/squats. And my sister lifts, so I can always bug her.

But check the library. A lot of people like the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

I actually checked out the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women from the library before I bought it. You can find where it is located in the library and peruse the book. If you don't like it, scope out the surrounding shelves. You're bound to find something you like.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    Weightlifting builds muscle. Muscle burns fat, even when you are doing nothing. Ergo, if you want to lose fat, build muscle.

You lose fat because you are burning calories while lifting. The increase in how many calories your body burns at rest due to muscle is actually very small. Plus as the other posts have pointed out, women don't build that much muscle.

Scientifically speaking, you burn calories from fat while weightlifting and well after. Building refers to the rate at which you strengthen muscles; this is not always indicated by the "bulking" many people are afraid of.. Studies have proven that the more muscle mass you acquire (mass which is built in injury and repair of muscle fibers), the more fat you will burn. And the amount you burn from weightlifting does indeed have an effect on your overall calorie burn, enough so that combined with diet, you can lose significant amounts of weight.

"Improving muscle mass: response of muscle metabolism to exercise, nutrition and anabolic agents." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18384284
  • bcattoes
    Options

Scientifically speaking, you burn calories from fat while weightlifting and well after. Building refers to the rate at which you strengthen muscles; this is not always indicated by the "bulking" many people are afraid of.. Studies have proven that the more muscle mass you acquire (mass which is built in injury and repair of muscle fibers), the more fat you will burn. And the amount you burn from weightlifting does indeed have an effect on your overall calorie burn, enough so that combined with diet, you can lose significant amounts of weight.

"Improving muscle mass: response of muscle metabolism to exercise, nutrition and anabolic agents." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18384284

I don't follow. What does burning calories while lifting and immediately after have to do with burning calories at rest?
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't follow. What does burning calories while lifting and immediately after have to do with burning calories at rest?

Because the muscles you make will continue to burn calories even after you stop working out.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Because the muscles you make will continue to burn calories even after you stop working out.

I guess the immediate recovery period could be considered "at rest" but it's not like you're going to have that burn the entire time you are at rest.
  • JBeansie
    Options

I guess the immediate recovery period could be considered "at rest" but it's not like you're going to have that burn the entire time you are at rest.

You are incorrect. Weight lifting increases your resting calorie consumption and metabolism which proceeds to work well after the lifting has ceased. You do burn more while actively engaging in lifting, but as studies have shown time and time again, increasing your muscle mass through weight lifting also increases your resting metabolism. In short, you will burn more calories during your daily activities when your anabolic metabolism is increased and the proven way to raise your anabolic metabolism is through weight training.