Simply Cannot Lose Weight

Options
I have tried and tried and tried. I eat half of what most people eat, drink tons of water, and workout whenever I can.
Lately, MFP has been a great help, but even though I'm always under on everything, and workout and drink, I've gained 5 pounds in a week!! I don't understand why, but it's not just this week either, because I've never been able to get under 200 for as long as I've been trying, and I'm not an unhealthy person. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Replies

• mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have! I gained 9 pounds in a week in January doing nothing differently, that's what prompted me to join. Every time I have tried to lose weight I just kept gaining. Sometimes 3 pounds in a day that would take me weeks to work off. I'm trying to take everybody's advice and find what works for me. All I know is giving up is not an option at this point.

You can do it :)
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just posted on this very topic! Check out my latest blog post called 12 Tips for "I'm doing everything right, and still not losing weight:

http://lifeafterlazy.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-tips-for-im-doing-everything-right.html

Remember, eating too little can actually contribute to weight gain! Focus more on what you are eating and less on what you're not eating.

I also recommend going to a doctor and getting your thyroid checked.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you unlock your diary, people will be able to give you more personalized advice.
  • celerieaz
    celerieaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you be a little bit more specific what you eat on a daily basis + your current workout plan? :) Also, your current height, weight, and BMR might be helpful.

It will be easier to give advice if we know where you stand now.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You've really got to treat your weight loss as a math problem. If you're not burning more calories than you're consuming then you won't lose weight. Ever.

Make sure your settings are correct in MFP. If you're sedentary, then you need to check that box.

Treat food tracking as science. Measure out your portions. Buy a scale and measuring scoops. Plan your food day in advance. Don't go over. Be especially careful with alcohol, soda and handfuls of snack food.

Exercise everyday. Doesn't matter what you do, but do something. Walk, run, jog, weights... but do something that you don't hate.

Weigh yourself only once per week. Log into MFP everyday and log everything. Make your log public so that peeps can review and comment on your success (and failures).

Your DNA is programmed to make you fat. If you don't want to be fat you have to overcome this natural tendency to put on weight.

Good luck!
    You're not alone.
    John
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im with you :/ I was just thinking of how it seams so easy for everyone else.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im with you :/ I was just thinking of how it seams so easy for everyone else.

Don't kid yourself. This isn't easy for anyone. Dig deep. You can do it too.
  • lea8199
    lea8199 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    how are you doing with your measurements? have you lost any inches.. sounds like you exercise quite a bit, so if you are building muscles, that will make you gain a little more weight... so if you are losing inches, then i think that's a good thing..try to eat something every 2 hrs or so, to keep your metabolism going... i've been watching my carb intake as well..well most particular sugar.. i still have it, but not as much and i've been losing about a lb per week...
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more? Sometimes your body needs a shock.
  • psuedoitch
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone :)
    Thanks for all the support.

I'm never going to give up, because at least I'm closer to maintaining my weight, regardless of whether or not I'm losing. My mother is upwards of 400 pounds, with a cousin that weighs 600, so I won't deny that it's programmed in me.
    I weight 200 pounds and 5'4"
    I registered as sedentary, but I do 100 jumping jack at least almost every day, 50 sit ups, and take long walks.
    Even though it doesn't sound like much, it's a big change from nothing, so I'm a little frustrated, but once again, I won't give up
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are several diseases or disorders that can make losing weight very difficult. If you truly are doing everything right and not losing it might be time to see a doctor.
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Can you post your food diary for the public view? Have you looked at lowering your sodium or carbs? Don't give up! Be determined!
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz show quote: Genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger. Don't let your genetics do you in or make you give in! :happy:
  • jharris9
    Options
    Also if you are on Birth Control.. That will make your weight spike drastically if its a higher does of hormone.. I would star by calling your doctor, since you are clearly on the right track with exercise and diet..
  • psuedoitch
    Options
    Actually, I was looking up symptoms for thyroid issues, and a lot of them are applicable, so I will see about seeing a doctor.
    because I've never eaten much (about half intake of everything tbh)
    It would make sense, but now I'm scared. haha
    Fighting!!
  • janetrene
    janetrene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! Gotta break the cycle somewhere. Also I would go to the doctor and get your thryroid checked if you haven't already and even though I am on MFP I still see a dietician. She has helped me make healthier choices with what I eat and how I shop. You doctor can recommend one for you if you ask.
    I am currently sitting at 254. My weight has been my biggest issue my whole life. I gain and lose but mostly gain. Once I talked with my doctor and started seeing my dietician regularly they both got everything figured out and now I only have 85lbs left to lose instead of 100lbs. I found that diet and exercise are the key ingredients but also talking with your doctor will help work out any kinks in your plan so you can succeed at the rate you like. Keep it up! We are all rooting for you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was looking up symptoms for thyroid issues, and a lot of them are applicable, so I will see about seeing a doctor.
    Fighting!!

Don't be scared! It may be something that can be easily corrected or controlled. But even if not, at least you will know what you are up against.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I just posted on this very topic! Check out my latest blog post called 12 Tips for "I'm doing everything right, and still not losing weight:

http://lifeafterlazy.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-tips-for-im-doing-everything-right.html

Remember, eating too little can actually contribute to weight gain! Focus more on what you are eating and less on what you're not eating.

I also recommend going to a doctor and getting your thyroid checked.

You will not gain weight by eating too little. It may stall your weight loss and cause your body to break down more lean tissue, but you will NOT gain weight by eating too little. It's physically impossible.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fighting!!

You really sound like you're not eating enough...
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ive been digging deep for two and a half years :/