Weight loss and shoe size?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
I've read a lot about shoe size going down with major weight loss. How common is that? Is it due to actual fat loss (because there doesn't really seem to be any fat on my feet to lose), or is due to other factors? Anyone know? :)

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but my feet have shrunk. Most of my heels (that aren't strappy) slip off the back of my feet. I just tried some on last night as I was cleaning my closet.. there's a gap in the back now! It's crazy!

I also tried on a pair of open toe silver hot shoes that fit way too tight back in the day but I bought them on clearance... now they fit!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've dropped a whole size ... in some brands, a size and a half. It happens. I don't know how, really, because I always thought shoe sizes were based on the length of your foot, and I can't imagine how that changes by losing weight. But whatever. I definitely wear a smaller shoe now.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The idea of a smaller shoe size excites me to no end. I wore a size 9 until I got pregnant then went up to a 10 and stayed there. It's hard to find 10s that fit right most of the time. That's my new motivation -- smaller feet. ;)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My shoe size definitely changed by at least one size.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I've never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean it's not true. Most of your foot is the bone and tissue and stuff. You don't have a crapload of fat on there. Well, I suppose if you're really overweight, you would, and then, just like any other body part that loses fat with weight loss, your foot would there as well. Then I could see shoe size changing, yes. I personally would be thrilled if my shoe size changed. I've been wearing 10s since high school. I have such big feet :frown:
  • ijeppa
    Options
    Might have something to do with the way our feet retain some of the water. I was a size 8.5 forever...gained a ton of weight and at my heaviest, was in a 10.5 - 11 ... As I lose, so do my feet! I am back in an 8.5 and man does it feel good to be able to buy CUTE shoes off the rack...can't wait til sandal weather!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I went from a 10 to a 9 or 9.5 depending on what type/brand of shoe. 10s were even tight at one time.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think the weight flattens the feet, so they get bigger. Not sure if they get smaller again when you lose it, though. Mine got bigger after my pregnancy since the ligaments all loosen up.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    10 a year ago, still 10... of course, I have always had skinny feet and hands.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When you're heavier you tend to have bloated feet.
    So losing all that water weight and bloatedness helps your feet! :)
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yep, gone from a size 9 wide to an 8 1/2.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 11 shoe to a size 9 and from wide width to normal width. I think for some ppl when they gain weight their feet spread to accomodate carrying the extra weight.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I actually went from a womens size 12 to a 13. I don't understand, lol. I wonder if my arch could have fallen a little? I have always had a very narrow foot.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was a size 7 (UK) before and I'm a 6 or 5 now. It's the same as your fingers getting thinner surely, I mean it can't be so much fat as it is water. That's my guess anyway.
  • ilovejuan2009
    Options
    i used to weigh 197 and i had a 10 shoe size but when I went down to 154 I had a 9 shoe size, 8 1/2 in heels. My friend had 3 children and her shoe size is now 12 from a size 9 but she didn't put on much weight. so i guess it just depends on the person.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Hmm...I don't know what's going on with my feet then! They've always been super boney and not very fleshy at all and they're still getting smaller! Not really sure where or what I'm losing...
  • Yitsukan
    Options
    I wondered if it were to do with the actual width of the foot? I went from a UK ladies size 6 to a size 4, and a lady I know, went up from a 6 to a 7 upon gaining weight. Whatever the reason behind it, I'd say its as good'a reason as any to get healthy! :-)
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my son, I only gained 11 pounds but went up a half size from a 7 1/2 to an 8. Now, 10 years later I've lost 35 pounds and have gone back down to a 7 1/2.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I went from a size 11 shoe to a size 9 and from wide width to normal width. I think for some ppl when they gain weight their feet spread to accomodate carrying the extra weight.

^^^^^ What she said..........I also went from a 6.5 Wide to a 5.5 Normal.
    Obviously every body is different, but it's been true for me. Only time in my life I like being "normal" haha
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal; they spread as you gain (more weight pushing on them plus the tissues in your feet hold water too) and should reduce as you do. I wouldn't expect them to go back to the same size you had before your weight gain, as sometimes the ligaments are too stretched out to do so -- that happened to a couple of my friends post pregnancy.