Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhx12di09a1qz6l95o1_500.jpg
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I hate when my wife tells me no, and I know she really means yes.

Freakin hilarious!!!! love it!

Does this count in this thread?:

I hate how people pronounce Tuesday ... like this "chooseday"... wtf.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Given the informal nature of forums in general, there aren't a lot of errors that really bother me. I am bothered when "weather" is used in place of "whether," though. There's really nothing about that that's worse than anything else; it just bothers me for reasons I haven't figured out yet.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Loose - as in "These pants feel loose now that I've lose weight"

Got any grammar irritations?
    Did you mean lost weight? Can't be loss,loose or lose......Grrrrrr shakes fist uncontrollably

vinynsweaty.gif
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny when others say they hate bad grammar yet spell grammar with an 'er' at the end. hahaha
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes! All the above :grumble:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Dont Axe me a question, its ASK, not axe.....
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be another stupid post about the loose/lose thing on MFP, glad it's not! Don't get me wrong, it bothers me too but come on, get over it!

Most of my grammar irritations are when people just type in one big long sentence without any type of punctuation except maybe a comma here or there I mean is it really that hard to just use those two little keys and insert a period to make it sound like you've paused to take a breath because really I cannot be the only one that reads sentences like that like the person just drew in one big breath before typing and let it all out at the end I mean I really can't stand it when people type like that errrr it just bugs me!

See? Annoying.

I literally read that without taking a breath!! You almost killed me woman! :laugh:
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Um. Yes.

LOL
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I am by far the grammar police (since I'm not perfect!), but there are some things that really bug me when people don't use correct grammar. Things like:

There - as in "It's over there"
    Their - as in 'It's their thing over there"
    They're - as in "They're over there with their thing"
    Lose - as in "I'd like to lose some more weight so these pants fall off"

When someone makes grammatical errors complaining about grammar. :P
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    Here are some grammar mistakes that I find are quite common;

1) Using the third person conditional twice in a sentence when it should have only been used once. For example:
    The sentence: If I'd read the book, I'd have passed the test. The sentence should conjugate as: if I had read the book, I'd have passed the test.
    2) The incorrect use of don't and doesn't, don't is the negative first person singular and doesn't is the negative third person singular.(make sure it relates to the object receiving the action.)
    3) Most verbs of motion are used incorrectly: when you view something from a point of arrival you always use the verb to bring and when you view something from a point of departure you always use the verb to take.
    4) The incorrect use of fewer and less: if the item is a countable quantity the word fewer should be used and if it's not less should be used.
    5) To have and "of": whenever you form a compound tense relating to an action that implies the past it uses "have" (excluding the preterit), for example: I will have cooked, I have cooked, I had cooked and I would have cooked.

Please excuse any grammatical errors.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Capital and Capitol

Principal and Principle

I am glad someone else pointed out "should of" and "Could of" - uggh!

My biggest pet peeve is not proof reading your work and just relying on spell check. I have seen the word "Pubic" go out to thousands of people in a newsletter because no one caught that it should have read "Public". Yep! There is no substitute for a quick re-read.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    1) Using the third person conditional twice in a sentence when it should have only been used once. For example:
    The sentence: If I'd read the book, I'd have passed the test. The sentence should conjugate as: if I had read the book, I'd have passed the test.

This is ****ing with me. I don't see a difference aside from the use of a contraction in the first sentence.

If I'd read the book, I'd have passed the test.
    If I had read the book, I'd have passed the test

Above all, my biggest pet peeve in the world is when people swap spelling with grammar as if they are synonymous. A lot of what people complain about pertains to spelling errors as opposed to grammatical ones.

I do get annoyed when people constantly tell me not to say "these ones". Leave me alone. :P
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    As the worst speller in the world, I have only one: A lot is 2 words!!!! Please don't use it unless you have to but it's always two words.

But what about allot? Maybe they miss typed and forgot an l. Just sayin. :wink:
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Whom teached ewe how two spoke?
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Given that this and most internet sites uses English as its primary language of communication and non-native speakers aside, that each of the English-speaking nations employs their own unique vocabulary and grammar rules, it beggars belief that anyone should be truly upset about the odd typo or grammar faux pas in an informal setting like MFP.

Indeed, some mistakes are sloppy, but as more and more folks access the site on the hoof via phones and tablets and rely on spell checkers (or not as the case may be) it's more a question of getting a comment out and most of us are big and ugly enough to be able to work out what the poster means and if we don't, well is it really the end of the world?

Some of the so-called grammatical errors pointed out in the above posts may in fact be perfectly grammatically correct within the context of local dialect. For example...
    It irritates me to no end when people say "I seen", instead of "I saw" or "I've seen."
    In Scots vernacular it is common parlance to use the past participle instead of the preterite form, especially of common irregular verbs like to see, to drink, to bring, etc.

If this were a scientific or literary forum or an academic exercise then I would be the first to throw my hands up in horror, but it's a social network, so can we all take a deep breath and count to ten, before I start on why Americans spell colour and labour without a u or write their dates back to front :laugh:
  • duharvalgt
    Options

This is ****ing with me. I don't see a difference aside from the use of a contraction in the first sentence.

Above all, my biggest pet peeve in the world is when people swap spelling with grammar as if they are synonymous. A lot of what people complain about pertains to spelling errors as opposed to grammatical ones.

I do get annoyed when people constantly tell me not to say "these ones". Leave me alone. :P

Sorry about that I probably shouldn't have used apostrophes in the example as the word "I'd" can mean both “I had” and “I would”. The point I was trying to get across is that; two conditional tenses should not be used comparatively in the same part of a sentence.
    Also I just realised the past particle and the conditional participle from "to read" is the same (that might have been the confusing part), sorry for the bad example.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Given that this and most internet sites uses English as its primary language of communication and non-native speakers aside, that each of the English-speaking nations employs their own unique vocabulary and grammar rules, it beggars belief that anyone should be truly upset about the odd typo or grammar faux pas in an informal setting like MFP.

Indeed, some mistakes are sloppy, but as more and more folks access the site on the hoof via phones and tablets and rely on spell checkers (or not as the case may be) it's more a question of getting a comment out and most of us are big and ugly enough to be able to work out what the poster means and if we don't, well is it really the end of the world?

Some of the so-called grammatical errors pointed out in the above posts may in fact be perfectly grammatically correct within the context of local dialect. For example...
    It irritates me to no end when people say "I seen", instead of "I saw" or "I've seen."
    In Scots vernacular it is common parlance to use the past participle instead of the preterite form, especially of common irregular verbs like to see, to drink, to bring, etc.

If this were a scientific or literary forum or an academic exercise then I would be the first to throw my hands up in horror, but it's a social network, so can we all take a deep breath and count to ten, before I start on why Americans spell colour and labour without a u or write their dates back to front :laugh:
    I guess it's a tire-ing subject eh? *knee slap*
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options

Sorry about that I probably shouldn't have used apostrophes in the example as the word "I'd" can mean both “I had” and “I would”. The point I was trying to get across is that; two conditional tenses should not be used comparatively in the same part of a sentence.
    Also I just realised the past particle and the conditional participle from "to read" is the same (that might have been the confusing part), sorry for the bad example.

And here I thought I was just stupid. lol.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am by far the grammar police (since I'm not perfect!), but there are some things that really bug me when people don't use correct grammar.

Lol, mine is when people mistake lose for lost...

Always cracks me up when someone is complaining about someone's faults and then makes a mistake themselves :)