Miss Olympia 1980 vs. 2012

Options

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think I have to go back further for men. Arnold was 1970 and he was on the juice, right?

Yeah Arnold started juicing around the age of 12, he has stated however that they would all use, yet not as much as compared to today. The results are obvious.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Side effect of our food supply injecting growth hormones in our meat. Mix that with some roid cycles and you get a weiner, err, winner.

'um..... pretty sure it's just the roids.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    They are both gross, but I wonder how many steroids #2 is using?

I don't think #1 is gross! Assuming that in 1980 female BBs were a little bit more "natural," she looks super shredded because she was probably on a hardcore lean-out pre-competition diet! Afterwards when she got to drink water and eat carbs again she probably just looked super fit. I think #1 looks pretty impressive, and similar to fitness/figure competitors today.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make fun of the 2012 winner. It took a lot of time, hard work, dedication and the permanent sacrifice of her menstrual cycle to make her what she is: A champion.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yep this is Rachel McLish and Iris Kyle, both Ms Olympia winners (in fact Irish has won it every year for ages now).

BUT not a fair comparison really, as Rachel was competing in the 80s when Ms Olympia was basically a Fitness or Figure competition.

Nowadays it's taken more seriously as a pro bodybuilding event because the fitness and figure categories have been given their own events (somewhat predictably called Fitness Olympia, and Figure Olympia)

For the more modern "equivalents" of Rachel from the 80s, try Googling for Adela Garcia or Nicole Wilkins, they're both smoking hot.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    awww, look at that guy, he's crying over his lost junk
    img_10601285407970.jpg

LMFAO!!!! As Robin Williams said "Football head and raisinettes!" **giggles**
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    I think the bottom one is a man
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I totally admire the dedication it takes for a woman to put on that kind of muscle. A friend of mine recently got her pro card as a body builder and while I'm not interested in attaining that size, her commitment over the years is commendable. Not all body builders of that size use steriods - in fact you have to be clean for many of the competitions.

The name of Miss Olympia is Iris Kyle. We take care on this site not to bash the over weight or obese and excersize the same when it comes to these women.

i second this!!

these women have dedicated themselves to being strong. it's something to be admired. i might not like the look of contortionism, but i can appriciate the hard work and dedication it takes.

and how about recognizing how far the sport has come? the 80s winner looks like your basic, not-very-cut fitness model of today.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I wouldn't make fun of the 2012 winner. It took a lot of time, hard work, dedication and the permanent sacrifice of her menstrual cycle to make her what she is: A champion.

I don't know much about steroids but I think natural women have to work harder than those who take steroids (which is of course why they are banned in sports and power lifting), so no, I don't admire her hard work.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Apparently 1980, Rachel McLish, is still smokin' hot.

4520278358_e5264f1fda.jpg

more like Rachel DeLish! boom! =)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    nicole-wilkins-lee-3.jpg

Now that's more like it!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I don't know much about steroids but I think natural women have to work harder than those who take steroids (which is of course why they are banned in sports and power lifting), so no, I don't admire her hard work.

and if she's making the best of a thyroid condition that naturally gives her more testosterone?
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Well he sure doesn't fit the sterotype for a black guy. If you get my drift. lol These pics are gross. Pic # 1 would be my fav but I'm partial to the '80s. lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I think the point was just the main difference in size... I think that both women worked really hard to obtain the body they have. I just am not sure the "standard" should have been raised. I like number one better and then also Rachel McLish or Nicole Wilkens.... Jamie Eason is one that I admire.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I totally admire the dedication it takes for a woman to put on that kind of muscle. A friend of mine recently got her pro card as a body builder and while I'm not interested in attaining that size, her commitment over the years is commendable. Not all body builders of that size use steriods - in fact you have to be clean for many of the competitions.

The name of Miss Olympia is Iris Kyle. We take care on this site not to bash the over weight or obese and excersize the same when it comes to these women.

Testing clean, and actually being clean are not the same thing unfortunately. Scientists work pretty hard on both sides. Scientist to catch the cheaters and scientists "mask" steroid use in world class athletes. May the best scientist win.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

i second this!!

these women have dedicated themselves to being strong. it's something to be admired. i might not like the look of contortionism, but i can appriciate the hard work and dedication it takes.

and how about recognizing how far the sport has come? the 80s winner looks like your basic, not-very-cut fitness model of today.

While i wouldn't want my wife to look like Iris, i would totaly give her a high five and would tell her how jealous i am of her hamstrings!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why a woman would want to do that to her body...

So she can beat the PBR out of her dirt bag live in boyfriend
  • Rae6503
    Options

and if she's making the best of a thyroid condition that naturally gives her more testosterone?

So all modern preceived steriod using body-building women have thyroid conditions that gives her more testosterone than even a average man? Normal levels for a man are: 300-1200 ng/dL. for a woman: 30-95 ng/dL. So even if she (or ALL of them) had 3 times normal levels that put her at the very bottom of normal for a man.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Huh. I guess not EVERYTHING was bigger in the 80s.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Actually now that I think about it, I'm do feel a little bad. Lets try to remember that everyone's definition of beauty is different and we should be accepting (and now I'm not being sarcastic)

I'm sure Iris Kyle does work hard and is proud of her own accomplishments and look. I think she's won 6 times in a row, which is excellent. But I do think she's on steroids.