Skim Milk?

Options
okay, so i have a question? I've heard that if you drink 3 glasses of skim milk a day it will help you lose weight, is that true? because i really do not like milk...but if it helps than ill be more than happy to drink my 3 daily glasses.

Replies

• twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Something that I have found that help me with my milk is a pack of splenda and a little of vanilla, it taste like a vanilla milk shake. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou: Also welcome to MFP!! This is really a great site and a ton of support!

Rhonda
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Milk is really nutrient dense so if you substitute milk for loss nutirent dense drink (diet pop). It'll benefit you alot more, I'm not sure of its effects on weightloss but it'll improve your overall health if you drink that in place of some of those other drinks.
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting info on this subject. There is some data that suggests that adequate calcium intake can aid in weight loss. The only studies that show that milk and other dairy products accomplish the same thing have been funded by the dairy industry and there is some evidence that the data from those studies may have been manipulated. Many other studies have shown that dairy products actually contribute to weight GAIN.

Here's an article that discusses the dairy industry's weight loss marketing scheme: http://www.pcrm.org/news/commentary050908_dairy.html
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes I have heard that 24 ounces of milk in 24 hours will help you lose weight. I'm not sure of why in the technical sense. But in just a common sense standpoint, milk is a healthier drink than something like pop.....fat free skim milk only has 80-90 calories per 8 oz. It can also fill you up quite a bit....if I don't have many calories left at the end of the day but I am a little hungry, a glass of milk takes care of that.

I don't have any tips though on how to force yourself to drink it if you don't like it so much, because I LOVE milk, and cannot imagine not drinking it. Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Skim milk helps with muscle accretion when taken after a good workout, therefore helping you build lean muscle and burn fat more efficiently (one serving is plenty, you don't need 3 glasses for this) ....

There's also chocolate milk for muscle recovery that should be taken after heavy resistance training or some kind of endurance cardio (the heavy kind that gets your muscles wobbly afterward).

However, I don't think subbing milk or chocolate milk with some other food will help you lose weight. Food you can chew should come before liquid calories. I only recommend it when people have trouble eating them all.

EDIT: so if you have spare calories or come short often, go ahead and have them after workouts to bump yourself up. It wont make you gain weight if you're at a calorie deficit. That's really for people who drink it and don't count it as part of their calorie intake due to its "benefits". Those benefits, by the way, can also be experienced with alternative milks (almond, hemp, soy, rice ...).