How do I amp up my metabolism??

Options
Hi all, I'm frustrated and need advice. I've gained about 30 pounds over the last year and can't seem to figure out why. Since January 2011, I've become very conscious about the foods I eat and started exercising, which is something I never used to do. I walked a half-marathon last fall and since Christmas I've tried to amp up my fitness routine even more than I did last year. I'm on a 1,000-1,200 calorie diet and every day I either attend a high-intensity Zumba class or I walk 3 miles on the treadmill. Yet, every month I continue to gain weight. It feels like I literally have no metabolism and my body is holding on to every bit of food I put in it. I've gone to the doctor and had my thyroid checked, but they say it's normal. I'm just so frustrated. I feel like I"m doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, yet my weight still continues to rise and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions??

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It feels like I literally have no metabolism and my body is holding on to every bit of food I put in it....

Depending on what your doctor says, have you tried eating more food? It's possible your body might not feel the need to hang onto it if you ate more.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have you had your hormone & thyroid levels checked?
  • jojogo1111
    Options
    Maybe you have an underactive thyroid? I was having some issues losing weight a few years ago and found out I have an underactive thyroid. Since I've been on medication I've lost over 50lbs. Just a thought...
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Eating right is one way. Drink lots of water is also necessary. There are many spice, veggie, fruit that also helps to boost your metabolism. I use fish oil and drink a lot also eat healthy.

Check out my site if you feel like:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    this would be my recommendation..it may be out of your control if you have changed everything up and are tracking everything you are doing
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is in starvation mode. Too many calories being burned and not enough fuel. Try eating more. I know it sounds crazy but it works!
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    try drinking b12 vitamins i heard that boosts metabolism.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There could be a number of factors here..

Do you feel like you are fueling your body properly for the amount of exercise you are doing? if you are quite active, 1000-1200 calories a day may not be cutting it. I know it seems counter intuitive, but try bumping your calories up to 1400 even..

You may also want to try a new activity. If you've been walking for a while, your body may have adjusted to this form of exercise. I would definitely recommend strength training. More muscle = higher metabolism.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It feels like I literally have no metabolism

I don't think you know what metabolism means.
  • Aimelish70
    Aimelish70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to have the Doctor run some tests. There could be a medical condition that is causing you to gain wait that can be taken care of with medication and or a special diet. Another thing is that your body could be in starvation mode if you are not eating enough calories to keep up with your activities... It's a hard thing to balance but you have to eat enough to not go into starvation mode which drastically changes your metabolism in addition you have to balance not eating too many calories. What I am doing is planning out my day and spliting everything up into 5 meals. Breakfast, Mid Morning snack, Lunch, mid day snack and Dinner and have kicked up my workouts from 3x per week to everyday at least 25 mins or more. I've heard that eating after you have worked out helps, but don't have enough information to substantiate it. Also try and lower you sodium intake and add fiber to your diet.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm frustrated and need advice. I've gained about 30 pounds over the last year and can't seem to figure out why. Since January 2011, I've become very conscious about the foods I eat and started exercising, which is something I never used to do. I walked a half-marathon last fall and since Christmas I've tried to amp up my fitness routine even more than I did last year. I'm on a 1,000-1,200 calorie diet and every day I either attend a high-intensity Zumba class or I walk 3 miles on the treadmill. Yet, every month I continue to gain weight. It feels like I literally have no metabolism and my body is holding on to every bit of food I put in it. I've gone to the doctor and had my thyroid checked, but they say it's normal. I'm just so frustrated. I feel like I"m doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, yet my weight still continues to rise and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions??

The same thing was happening to me and the doc also said everything looked fine. Somethings to think about (since your diary isn't public) is:
    1) how much water are you drinking? My physical trainer said a minimum of 96 ounces a day for everyone
    2) how much protein are you eating? I've cut down on some protein and started to see weight loss FINALLY, after a year of gaining (I was on a very high protein diet, so I'm down to 60-90g of protein a day. Typically, 55-65g for a women is good)
    3) how many fruits and veggies are you getting in? What exactly are you eating?
    4) I would also try adding 100 calories to your daily allottment, and just be careful with what foods you're choosing to fill up that calorie limit with.

Hope this helps.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    this would be my recommendation..it may be out of your control if you have changed everything up and are tracking everything you are doing

Everyone, she had her thyroid checked and came back normal (her initial post says this). My doc told me this too. I do have PCOS however, which makes things more difficult. Running DIFFERENT tests may help, but I know the frustrations of getting nowhere with docs. Just less money in the bank.
  • davejlee
    davejlee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend strength training. More muscle = higher metabolism.

Yes. Lift. And lift to build muscle.
  • mwagone
    mwagone Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the tips! It's so nice to reach out and find support. :)
    As for the thyroid, I had it checked last week and the doctor says it's in the normal range. She is, however, referring me to an endocrindologist. I wasn't exactly sure what that was, but looked it up online and it sounds like they deal with hormones and metabolism so I'm very curious to hear what they have to say. Not sure when I'll be getting in to see them, tho.

With regards to diet, I guess I'd never thought to up my food intake. Everything in me screams "less food = more weight loss" so it's hard for me to rationalize putting more food in a body that just keeps wanting to gain weight. But, hey....I'm at the point where I'm willing to try any suggestions y'all might have. My diet on an average day usually consists of a protein shake for breakfast, an orange for snack, can of soup for lunch, another orange for snack and a bowl of cereal for dinner. Any suggestions on what kinds of food I might be missing or that may be best to add?
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1,000-1,200 calorie diet and every day I either attend a high-intensity Zumba class or I walk 3 miles on the treadmill.

Your metabolism's fine. Your caloric intake is not. If your body isn't getting enough fuel for normal, everyday function -- much less the exercise/workouts you're doing -- it WILL hold on to whatever food it gets, which is exactly what you're describing.

Eat more. At least eat back your exercise calories.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My diet on an average day usually consists of a protein shake for breakfast, an orange for snack, can of soup for lunch, another orange for snack and a bowl of cereal for dinner. Any suggestions on what kinds of food I might be missing or that may be best to add?

Maybe add piece of bread with some peanut butter for breakfast with your shake and a chicken breast with a side of beans and some rice for dinner instead of the cereal?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With regards to diet, I guess I'd never thought to up my food intake. Everything in me screams "less food = more weight loss" so it's hard for me to rationalize putting more food in a body that just keeps wanting to gain weight. But, hey....I'm at the point where I'm willing to try any suggestions y'all might have.

Me too, but that formula didn't work for me, either. Last time I lost weight, by just cutting calories big time, I was a size 8 at 130# with a muffin top and back fat rolls. This time, I ate twice as much, averaging between 1800-2000 while losing, and at 130#, I'm a size 2 or 4. Photos and more details: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/449570-mfp-mythbusters-losing-weight-fast-exercise-calories-girl?page=4#posts-6572654
  • Brooks088
    Options
    I went through the same thing myself...all of these people saying eat more is right (at least it worked for me). I went to a regular doctor, endocrinologist -insisting something wrong with my metabolism. All tests came back normal. As soon as I "cleaned up" my diet...started eating more calories (and better foods) the weight has been coming off. Not as fast as I would like of course-but it's moving. I am just now starting to add in weights to my gym workout so hoping it continues.
  • lokenica
    lokenica Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Girl, you have no nutrition! You need some veggies and protein!