Avocados?

Options
Hi guys,

Was wondering how everyone felt about avocados... I've gotten into the habbit of eating a medium-sized hard-boiled egg and a half avocado for breakfast almost every day...
Does anyone else include them regularly in their menu? How's that going for you?
I've just started last week so everything's still a bit new...

Thank you!

Replies

• Mera_Mera
    Options
    I love them to death. If they were cheap, I would eat them every day!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have avocados maybe once a week. They are a little calorie dense, but the fat they have is healthy fat. I'd say as long as you're staying within your calorie goal, then go for it. They're delicious!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I eat several a week. I love avocado as an excellent source of good fat.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just remember that avocado has a lot of fat it in. BUT it IS healthy fat. :) I love avocado. I eat it almost everyday too. my fav recipe is:

1 can of chickpeas
    1 avocado sliced
    1 tomato sliced
    1/4 cup of almonds
    a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.

makes for a really nice salad. :)
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just remember that avocado has a lot of fat it in. BUT it IS healthy fat. :) I love avocado. I eat it almost everyday too. my fav recipe is:

1 can of chickpeas
    1 avocado sliced
    1 tomato sliced
    1/4 cup of almonds
    a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.

makes for a really nice salad. :)

Sounds awesome!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I use them in Salads all the time.
    You have to be careful not to eat them too much.
    They are a healthy fat but they are still a fat. :bigsmile:
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados with Hummus a lot! (red pepper hummus, avocado, tomato, and a light cheese on special k crackers)
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are fantastic! I had half of one this AM on a slice of Ezekiel bread, or I mash them into avocado dip with tomatoes, a little cheese, and a dash of lemon juice. So good!!
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a 100 Calorie pack of the Eat Wholly Guacamole almost everyday. It has 3 ingredients (all natural if I remember correct) it has replaced mayo and salad dressing in my meals.
  • liapyoung
    Options
    Agreed. I use avocados in my salads all the time... also yummy in wraps! YUM
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like them on toast, in soups,on salads, with a spoon,in a dip with a blue chip...lol
    I buy several and put in veggie bin in the fridge, and pull one out at a time to soften to my desire.
  • Ms_Lassie
    Options
    I have avocado almost every day! As a spread in my sandwiches/wraps/cruskits or chopped up into my salads... I love it!

If you like them and they fit into your calorie goal I would say have it as often as you like! I figure since they're in the fruit & veg section they are better for me than plenty of other things - they're fresh & unprocessed!! =D
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I love avocados! I eat them all the time and can usually get them comped at Walmart for 2/$1.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Love avocados :)
    I eat them as a salad sometimes not daily.

Check out my site for recipes if you are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    During avocado season, I eat them every day!! My hubby and I split one between us.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have avocados maybe once a week. They are a little calorie dense, but the fat they have is healthy fat. I'd say as long as you're staying within your calorie goal, then go for it. They're delicious!

agree - they are full of really fabulous nutrients, and as long as you are building it into you plan its an excellent nutrient source

i eat half almost daily myself... I notice in my skin and nails when i don't :(
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat them regularly, I can actually see the difference they make to my skin when I can't get them! Plus they have a good wack of fibre. What a great little package!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That is not enough protein for a meal. And for the rest of the day you still have to watch your fat content. Avocado is good fat but its still fat & calories. You are eating more Fat that protein. Try eating more egg whites with your Avocado
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I eat them every single day. I love that I live so close to the avocado capital of the world. :D
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have avocado and light mozzarella salad once a week, I have it with rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and a bit of Italian dressing, yummy, the only thing that would make it better would be if it was served with crusty bread and butter.