How gross is tofu?

Options

Replies

• beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the stuff, and make hot & sour soup, and mapo tofu all the time, like twice a month at least. LOVE IT!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ma-po-tofu/
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My new favorite Chinese food place will replace any of the meat in their recipes with tofu. I have had General Tso's tofu (amazing!) and tofu and broccoli (in the sauce they use for beef and broccoli). Both were super yummy. I think they breaded and seared the tofu before putting it in the mix.
  • closetoghost
    closetoghost Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got bored of reading all the replies, so i'm not sure if anyone has already said this.

You need to DRAIN IT, and cook it right. This is the KEY to getting tofu to taste amazing.

You need a block of firm tofu. If you have time to drain it overnight, that's best. you can leave it draining for as little as 30 minutes though if you're in a rush.

- place the block in between some bounty/kitchen towels
    - place something heavy on top, like a big book or something
    -in the morning, get rid of the cloths which'll be really wet.. slice the tofu however you'd like it. i like it best in medium sized chunks.

-fry in fry light oil, and season with salt and pepper, or whatever you like, really.
    amazing in stir fries and chinese soups etc. you'll grow to like it, if it's cooked right it tastes wicked. hope this helps.

you can also use silken tofu in smoothies, etc. i made a pumpkin pie in october which was incredible. i'm vegan so i used raw pumpkin, mixed with silken tofu, all blended up in a food processor.

also, with the firm tofu, i make 'scrambled egg'. for this, drain as normal, then once it's dry, crumble into different sized pieces- some medium sized, some small, to resemble scrambled egg. start frying up in a pan, add a bit of salt and pepper, and a tiny weeny bit of turmeric and cumin. amaaaaazing with spring onion and grated carrot too, trust me. if you're not vegan you probably won't bother with this, but it's a wicked alternative to egg if you eat dairy free.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You have to cook it with other things that are naturally flavorful. I love it sauteed with some purple onion and BBQ sauce, and served on top of rice.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I want to like it, and maybe some of these ideas will help that happen.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, when I found out I had a soy allergy, I was secretly a little bit thrilled because it meant I would never again be goaded into eating tofu.

I have lots of vegetarian friends who were all convinced that I didn't like tofu because no one ever prepared it properly for me. No matter how much I said I didn't like it, my claims of 'I don't care for tofu' always fell on deaf ears. I do not like it stir fried, in soups, or even silken tofu turned into mousse or cheesecake. Just no!

Now I get to say 'I simply couldn't... I'm allergic'. :-)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/09/21/thinking-outside-the-lunchbox-tofu-dippers/

So amazing. I cannot stop eating these.

I'm convinced all you "tofu-haters" hate it because you know it's tofu. It gets a bad rap, but if you eat with an open mind (or mouth) you will LOVE IT.
  • lindamac101
    Options
    My son is a vegan and he has showed me how to cook with tofu and it is great . I make areally good cheesecake with it. Also putting it in your smoothee also gives you your prorein.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I watched Hungry Girl's Lisa Lillien swapping out a lot of noodle recipes with Tofu noodles ( She endorses House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles)

I tried them- tofu has intrigued me but I also had NO idea how to prepare it

Just gotta say, it didn't appeal to me personally,
    but it's a great low cal swap if you want to try that too.

Found it @ our local Giant Eagle Store, sure you can google House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles and
    see what stores in your area might carry it.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i will admit, i am a vegetarian and am not a huge fan of tofu. it has to be cooked right and i seem to be really crap at cooking it well. look for recipes on different vegetarian/vegan websites and you'll find a lot of good recipes. also, use a strong sauce and the tofu will take that flavor. i love it in stir fry.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I really like tofu - you just need to know how to prepare it.

Made this for dinner... I was licking the sauce bowl squeeky clean: www.dailygarnish.com/recipes?recipe_id=6000063
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    And it makes people crazy.
    Everybody I see eating it is crazy.

You must eat loads..... ;)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Is that like what's grosser than gross?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Why did the tofu cross the road?
    ANSWER:
    ...to prove it wasn't chicken.....:noway:
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the spice combination, or even the spices, but if you soak it in a soy sauce mixture with some spices (I'm sure any that you like will do), then bake it, it doesn't taste (or feel) like tofu at all. Tofu is a God-send for us vegans.
  • MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use firm tofu in my smoothies and you can't taste it at all. I usually mix a slice of tofu, a cup of baby spinach, a banana, some berries, a bit of non fat greek yogurt and some unflavored almond milk. It's satisfying and chock full of vitamins and nutrients.
  • VintageDisaster
    Options
    My understanding is that tofu basically takes one the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

If you're asking yourself what the point is of cooking with it in the first place...that's a very good question.

The point is that it's an excellent source of protein! :)

I looooove me some tofu! It tastes great in a stir-fry, or pad thai. When I was a kid, I used to eat it in ham & pea soup! Yummm.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Tofu really takes on the taste of whatever seasoning you are cooking with, so you can make it taste like anything you want, add some veggies, stir fry and you are good to go.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tofu - when it's made correctly. I don't know how to cook it, but I've had amazing tofu at some restaurants.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I like tofu. It's a new addition to my diet since I don't like how meat tastes most of the time. I just cooked some this afternoon. A little olive oil, 1/2 cup of cubed tofu, 1/2 cup of red peppers and 1/2 cup of yellow peppers all on a bed of yummy spinach and grape tomatoes.

Fan-freakin' tastic.