Gym- Flying solo or with company?

Options
2»

Replies

• zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I've gone with my boyfriend once, who tried to turn calorie-burning (on the ellipticals, which state how much you've burned) into a competition, and I just couldn't take that - not to mention that I like to switch machines on a whim and just generally do my own thing. I also prefer to listen to music.

I won't rule out going with people, but it's not my preferred method.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I do it alone, only because none of my friends are willing to workout. That said, I think is better to have a workout partner. That way you can push eachother to reach your goal sooner.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm good with either. Currently I don't have a weight training partner and I enjoy the freedom of going at my own pace and having complete control of my workouts. I crank my tunes and totally focus on my workout, with no outside distractions. No wasted time spent talking or joking around...my workouts are quick and efficient. (except in January when the gym is so busy it resembles a Wal-Mart on Boxing Day)

However...although I prefer working out on my own, I can honestly say that I got much better results when I used to lift with a regular partner a few years ago. We would push each other on every set and try to one-up each other all the time. And since I tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to working out, having someone there forcing me to do "just one more" was always extremely beneficial for me.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I go alone. Just me and my iPod.
    If I go with people I feel like I need to be committed to stay near them and to leave when they're bored.
    I always go with a plan, and I know most people that I know get bored after 20 mins.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I prefer solo EXCEPT if I'm going to a class..then it's nice to have a buddy.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I like that time to myself and I get in an out of the gym faster if I'm not socializing. Having said that, I've never really worked out with anyone, and what I think I would like about that is to have someone to spot me and vice versa. I might try lifting heavier if I had someone with me for that reason. And if my workout partner was at a relatively equal fitness level as me or better, I think it could push me to do more.
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can go either way, I have worked with a gym partner and have had positive results and have done my own thing for months and that worked fine also. I don't mind working out with a gym partner as long as they are dedicated and are as focused as I am.
  • jwalker831
    jwalker831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to the gym together and do side-by-side treadmills or arc trainers...then go our separate ways to weight train. We enjoy our time together and pursuing common goals (and, yeah, we're a little competitive). :0)
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I thought I may need company, but when I found my way (still a Gym -newbie myself) I prefer the solo thing. My other exercise Walking and Swimming I enjoy that 'ME' time alone.

De-stresses and Un-depresses me :)

The only company I welcome is my 15yo daughter on the treadmill or class - other family members have that offer there.

Great opportunity for bonding.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    With someone will make sure i go, but they usually slow me down or distract me. though i like a friend in classes like Zumba.

Solo I work harder, but don't always make the time.

I need to find someone I can meet at the gym and say, "OK, go" and then part ways, lol.
  • sherrywtrmn
    sherrywtrmn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find that I get more done when I am alone because I don't get distracted.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am the worst gym partner I go alone. I like to listen to my music and tune out the world around me. I have no patience for chatting while I am working out.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Solo 9 times outta 10
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    By myself, unless it's to a zumba class, then a friend usually meets me there.
    When I'm putting in my cardio time on the elliptical, there's no reason for a friend to be there- my headphones are in, I'm not talking, and I get annoyed as all get out when people stand around and chat. But that's just me.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    either way is good for me.............my daughter sometimes comes along but we don't chit chat we both do our exercise then leave together..................

when I am alone on Tuesday nights I watch the Biggest Loser and that pushes me harder.............
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    always go alone! this is how it goes........... kit on, locker shut, head phones in blasting flo rida etc, talk to no one, only focusing on my hown heart beat and sweat pouring out and form, towards the end of the workout when calling down quick sneaky peak at the people with nice bodies for future mental image inspiration!

have a shower, stick the timberlands on and head out to the BMW in the car park, knowing I gave everything with out any body disturbing me or chatting ****.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I hate going alone!

I'd rather have someone there that I can push and be pushed as well.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but the gym time is MY time. I go there to loose weight, and let the days aggravations leak out into my workout. It's a therapy really. I don't want to have to be bothered with having a conversation when I am busting my butt on the elliptical. :)