High reps, light weight myth...

Options
2»

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I think what you're both trying to say is that people who train for strength only don't have endurance and people who train for endurance don't have strength.
    Training for both is best. If you're on NROL you're training for strength so once you've completed that maybe you should focus on getting your endurance up. That's what I'm going to do.
  • jmalaschak
    jmalaschak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was in my best shape, I would work on both. I started with low weight, high rep sets and worked up to high weight, low rep sets in the same workout. Ideally, you should work out both unless you have a specific goal in mind about what you want to do. I didn't want the strength without the endurance.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Have you found anything? I'm looking at pubmed myself, and have yet to find anything. I did however find an ACE video saying that what matters most is that the muscle is fatigued within a short period of time (90 seconds was the time given).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to achieve...everything has a place and it's not a myth...what are your goals...to maintain, build or lose fat?

theres never a reason to lift light weights... other then ignorance.

Dude! Put $50 in the *kitten* jar!!!!

a_560x0.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's 8 part series "Categories of Weight Training"

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/categories-of-weight-training-part-1.html

I think this has what I need (it's for a bullcrap communications class that is only one credit and I don't really care if I get a C).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Oh and I think I'm in love with Lyle McDonald.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5 too while you are in the zone.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do heavy strenght training and will do a body pump in the mix about once every 2 weeks. It work a different muscle fiber. It is nice to mix things up but what has the biggest impact on what i look like is strenght training.... Not body pump.

Great stuff, I think mixing things up is a great strategy for fitness (rather than as a competitor in a specific event where this tactic may be detrimental). But:
    And for you information, i burn the same amount of calories from 60 minutes of body pump as i do when lifting for 45 minutes.

How do you quantify the cals expended for strength sessions? HRM?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

you cant easily do so.
    if you think about it, most of your calories are consumed with your basic metabolic processing, not movement. Lifting weights essentially tears the muscle, forcing your body to rebuild it. rebuilding it uses protein consumed (that would have been used for energy) plus it requires a decent amount of energy.. its that extra energy that seems to be "burned from lifting weights".

so, now the question is, how much did you tear? that depends on how hard you worked it. How much muscle mass you have. The current state of your body, etc...
    its so hard to quantify outside of a lab, and the range it could be is so large that you cant define a rule-of-thumb to quantify it.

thats the reason weight lifting has no calorie amounts on MFP and anything you read elsewhere may not be accurate for you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

you cant easily do so.
    if you think about it, most of your calories are consumed with your basic metabolic processing, not movement. Lifting weights essentially tears the muscle, forcing your body to rebuild it. rebuilding it uses protein consumed (that would have been used for energy) plus it requires a decent amount of energy.. its that extra energy that seems to be "burned from lifting weights".

so, now the question is, how much did you tear? that depends on how hard you worked it. How much muscle mass you have. The current state of your body, etc...
    its so hard to quantify outside of a lab, and the range it could be is so large that you cant define a rule-of-thumb to quantify it.

thats the reason weight lifting has no calorie amounts on MFP and anything you read elsewhere may not be accurate for you.

From HRM work in the past its about 100 cals per 20-30 mins, for me, but its hard to figure because of so many different lifts.
    I stopped logging weightlifting a long time ago because of this.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to achieve...everything has a place and it's not a myth...what are your goals...to maintain, build or lose fat?

What if I need to move them because some jerk didn't bother to put them back?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    well you could try your local library.
    there you will find plenty of people that do it..... they take a light weight (book) and put it on a shelf.. hundreds of times a day..

either they're friggin ripped, this theory has a flaw..... or maybe it only counts if its a 2lb piece of iron and not a 2lb paper block...

My mom worked in a library with shelvers. And yes, their triceps were nicely toned - other women were always wanting to know how they avoided the floppy arm that is bane of many middle-aged women.
  • DenverKos
    Options
    Because I'm in school for this, here are some references. There is a place for both.

Chandler, T.J. & Brown, L.E. (2010). Conditioning for Strength and Human Performance. Philadelphia, PA: Lipponcott Williams & Wilkins, Wolters Kluwer.

Heyward, V. (2010). Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription. 6th ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

American College of Sports Medicine. (2010). ACSM's Guidelines For Exercise Testing And Prescription. 8th ed. Baltimore, Maryland: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    well you could try your local library.
    there you will find plenty of people that do it..... they take a light weight (book) and put it on a shelf.. hundreds of times a day..

either they're friggin ripped, this theory has a flaw..... or maybe it only counts if its a 2lb piece of iron and not a 2lb paper block...

Have you ever seen a librarians lats? they look like freaking bats they are so huge! Your example is flawed :wink:

I am a buff librarian. :laugh:
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Dude! Put $50 in the *kitten* jar!!!!

Hahahaha! I'm stealing this image!

a_560x0.jpg
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    how many reps constitutes as high reps?? I usually do 3 sets of 12 at a weight that I am struggling to get the last few out on each set...
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    how many reps constitutes as high reps?? I usually do 3 sets of 12 at a weight that I am struggling to get the last few out on each set...

this is perfect for hypertrophy in someone eating a surplus of calories.
    Next time you do the routine try for a set of 3-5 with 20-30% more weight for strength.
    Its good to rotate these workouts for optimal results...or learn compound movements and cut gym time in half!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

thats the reason weight lifting has no calorie amounts on MFP .

Ahhh, but it does, if you know where to look. even strength training can be counted as a cardiovascular activity, after all you are burning calories through activity.
    C'mon, please, you are spouting misinformation without any back up - exactly what the OP did not ask for!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

this is perfect for hypertrophy in someone eating a surplus of calories.
    Next time you do the routine try for a set of 3-5 with 20-30% more weight for strength.
    Its good to rotate these workouts for optimal results...or learn compound movements and cut gym time in half!

cool thanks, will try that
  • melrose09
    Options

Really?

Good catch ;)

when you do find some sources, do you mind sharing? I'm getting ready to add weight lifting to my usual routine, but I'm a little worried (and I'm sure unjustifiably) that it will mess up my balance and flexibility. But at the same time, I am at an impasse with my one arm handstands and I'm thinking a little weight lifting might give me the extra strength I need in my shoulders...Plus I want to be a little more ripped! ;) I'm lean, but not ripped