Bench Press Question for a Newbie

Options
So I've done the research and think I have one of the answers I have in regards to bench pressing with a barbell, but would greatly like others input.

Having just started recently bench pressing, I naturally started with just the bar.

What is the standard weight of a barbell at a gym (eg Gold's Gym)...it appears there is a likelihood its probably an olympic size 20kg/45lb bar but is there anyway to find out for sure?

And number two, when bragging to others, does the weight bragged abount include the bar weight or is it just the weights? Eg. if I put 2 5lb plates on the bar, am I benching 10lbs or 55lbs (assuming bar is a 45lb bar)?

Thanks!

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you are benching 55 lbs and you can always ask someone on the staff for the weight of the bar, but most of the bars as longs as it is the big long bar are 45 lbs.
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bars on benches are normally 45lbs, and bars for squats and such are normally 55lbs. and you include the bar in your weight. so if you put a five lb weight on each end, then you benched 55
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A standard barbell will weigh 45lbs. If it looks like all the other ones on the benches and squat racks its a 45lber.

Secondly, one should do their best not to boast but a persons stated bench does include the bar. So, if I were to tell you yesterday I benched 225 it would be two 45lb plates on each side and the 45lb bar. (unless i had to get creative with the available weight!)
  • blueandigo
    Options
    The ones they use are the 45lbs one. When the guys that teach me and help me out with bench press they add on the weight of the bar as well. So I usually do around 105-115. And I always say including the bar because I don't have reason to brag aboot it as I am a cardio freak. Something a lot of the muscle heads in our gym struggle to do lol.
  • rhinojoe
    Options
    Yes, it's usually 45lbs.
    Yes, when bragging, include the bar. (Feel free to embellish at least 10%, as well!)
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Yes, nearly all workout facilities will use an olympic standard 45lb bar. I can't think of any exceptions in a national chain I've been in.

And total weight is what you brag on. 55 pounds for you!
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's usually 45lbs.
    Yes, when bragging, include the bar. (Feel free to embellish at least 10%, as well!)

Hahahah!
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Size matters when talking about benching... =)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you're using the smith machine the bar is less.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's usually 45lbs.

Haha! That's 'legal'?! I'm totally doin' it!! :laugh:
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bars on benches are normally 45lbs, and bars for squats and such are normally 55lbs. and you include the bar in your weight. so if you put a five lb weight on each end, then you benched 55

this has never been the case where squat bars are different than bench barbells...they're all the same in every gym I've been to, and I'm going to run of the mill gyms, ..LA Fitness, Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, etc.

and when someone asks how much you bench ... that's total weight so you would have to include the weight of the bar..otherwise, .. you wouldn't be answering them very accurately. :)
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone!

I don't actually intend to brag, but I've heard plenty of people who have so was just a curiousity more than anything...plus it helps if someone asks, sounds so much less wimpy when you're asked how much you can do, and I can say I bench press 55 instead of 10 haha (especially if they don't know how heavy the bar is to begin with!)