First time using ground turkey........

Options
2»

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Worstershire sauce can give it a beefier flavor if you really like beef.

I love ground turkey for what it is though. I can think of probably a dozen ways to use it. The ONLY time I would use beef instead of turkey is if I am really craving it and probably looking for more iron. 9 times out of 10 though, the turkey is just as good, because it has the protein that I want.
  • KaciPatricia
    Options
    I love it with everything, except hamburgers. Everything else its takes the same as regular hamburger meat though!
  • hazjb6
    hazjb6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have replaced ground beef with lean ground turkey breast for all recipes. At first, I didn't like the smell when it was cooking and it stayed white, but eventually I got used to it. Especially since the taste and health benefits outweighed the dislikes! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I hate ground turkey by itself, I think it's vile as far as mouth feel goes. However, I don't hesitate to use it in combination with ground beef, to help stretch our ration of gb out a bit from paycheck to paycheck
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it for pasta/meatballs, enchiladas, pizza, burgers, meatloaf, etc. I think it tastes better and it makes a meal "lighter." :flowerforyou:
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey in place of beef for everything! My hubby doesn't mind at all either :) It's a little different in taste and flavor of course, but I personally prefer it now! It's a great thing to swap in place of beef in your diet. And if u miss beef just keep in mind whenever you eat out and get a burger or anything like it it's beef, so it's not like u never have some, just far less. Hope u like it :)
  • bugs5697
    Options
    Hope you like it! I am almost 100% switched to ground turkey. People can't even tell the difference! It's the best!

Gobble!
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i use 99% fat free ground turkey and make burgers with it , turkey meatloaf , stuffed cabbage rolls, chili , taco .... i have to put herbs and onion and garlic in it or there is no flavor. sometimes i stick a tbl of olive oil or coconut oil in the batch to add good fat to it because its 99% fat free
  • amberkokette
    Options
    Ground Beef (3 oz of 80/20)
    230 calories, 15 grams fat

Ground Turkey (3 0z)
    220 calories, 17 grams fat

Lean ground beef (3 oz of 93/7)
    130 calories, 7 grams fat

Lean ground turkey (3 oz)
    105 calories, 6 grams fat
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    LOVE ground turkey! I do lots of things with it, but my two favorite are:

Salsa Turkey:
    ~brown turkey as you would ground beef
    ~add a 32 oz jar of your favorite salsa (I use safeway select southwest)
    ~simmer until most of the liquid is abosorbed

You can then use it on top of rice, or as a taco filling. So Good!

Turkey Curry (My fav):
    ~Brown turkey
    ~add some salt/pepper to taste
    ~stir in some flour (I didn't measure, maybe about 1/4 cup or so)
    ~add 2 cups milk
    ~add about 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
    ~add curry powder to taste
    ~simmer until cooked down

We usually put it on rice, pasta, or just eat it plain!
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I only buy ground turkey now. I'm able to get 5lbs for 2.35 a lb at Sam's club; much cheaper than any beef around here.
    It takes less time to cook & can dry out quicker if you are browning it. I need to use more seasoning cause it's kind of bland. Like another poster I also mix in beef bouillon to give it more of a beefy flavor or depending on what I'm making worchestershire sauce. Kroger has a poultry seasoning mix that I like to add when I'm browning it for different recipes. I've noticed it soaks up more manwich sauce but less taco seasoning (I add less water when I make it).
    My kids use to be able to tell it was not ground beef because it's lighter in color, but no one else has
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have tried turkey sausage , bacon , hotdog , burger and I can tell the difference but enough salsa or ketchup and it's palatable .