Started Shred last night and hated it lol Anyone relate?

Options
Hi everyone,

So i started the 30 day shred last night after seeing so many great reviews on MFP. Have to say i did not enjoy it at all. Iv never done a press up in my life and turns out i find even the modified ones difficult! lol :blushing: Not sure if i can keep it up for another 29days!! Dreading it already! Is it really as great as everyone says it is???? I do alot of zumba and swimming so im thinking i dont really need it, or is that just the easy option??? :huh:

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    its difficult at first guaranteed but it works, stick with it. It will get easier with time, if you can only do a few then thats ok, work on improving that. I zumba and run, did the shred last year and lost a lot of inches! helped me to lose a dress size without actually having to shed more weight! win win in my book.

I dont think anyone truly loves doing it! but it works well!
  • janessac
    Options
    How heavy are the weights you're using? I started using 7lbs and it killed so I went down to 5lbs and worked my way up from there. Even 2lbs can make a huge difference in how difficult the shred is :)
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Give your body a chance to get used to it - you're working different muscles in different ways than you're used to so you're bound to feel a bit fatigued after. Make sure you're eating enough good food to get the energy to go through it.

Good luck & don't give up!
  • jules24404
    jules24404 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on L1 D7 and i promise it gets easier! I already have more definition in my arms and stomach, and by day 4 it stopped hurting the next day. I'm a convert! :)
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was curious about doing it but have dodgy knees and ankles so decided against it...
  • beccah88
    beccah88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've nearly finished level 2 of the shred now and I have to say it is worth it.

I still can't do 'real' push-ups but don't let that put you off. I really struggled with it all on the first couple of days but by the last few days of level 1 I could see a real change in how well I could get through the cardio and weights.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I find the pressups really difficult too so I do counter top push ups instead as they are easier and will still build upper body strength.

Do not be afraid to modify moves to make them easier at the start and progress into them, there is nothing wrong at all with doing so
  • ciikusmess
    Options
    I also did two days and I just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I should start again. The hubs loves it though!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you could do what the people in the video can do you wouldn't need the video and we wouldn't be having this conversation. 1 day at a time is all. You don't have to do all the 29 days today. You can do it.
  • peachlow
    Options
    I agree....lol but no pain no gain.... I've hated every workout DVD I've ever began but I must admit if you stick to it.... it works.... I'm on day 3 and my endurance is building up... just keep going... its only about 20minutes of your day...

Best of luck to ya!!!
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've had to give it a rest after D5L1, it was wrecking my knees. It's a shame, I felt like it was having an effect. Might start it again when i feel repaired, but not do it every day. Meanwhile, I'm incorporating some of the kinder exercises into my regime.
  • britneyblonde
    britneyblonde Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How heavy are the weights you're using? I started using 7lbs and it killed so I went down to 5lbs and worked my way up from there. Even 2lbs can make a huge difference in how difficult the shred is :)

I dont have hand weights yet so someone suggested using 2x1.5litre bottles of water. However i could only find one so i used one bottle of water and one 1.5litre bottle of fabirc softner LOL!!! :blushing: Half way through it i actually thought to myself 'how many washings can i do before tomorrow to make this lighter???' haha!

My sister is giving me 3lb weights today though :cry:

I find the cardio sections mega easy but iv never really done anything with my arms before and they are so weak its unreal. The weight sections and the push ups are almost impossible. My arms feel like they are going to drop off!!!
  • may18052007
    Options
    :huh: Trying to not sound stupid but can you explain what the 'shred' is? It sounds intense but gives results.
    Anyone? :bigsmile:
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You will have the "newbie effect" on your arms, meaning your strength will initially increase very quickly.
  • Ashley1972mcc
    Options
    I've had to give it a rest after D5L1, it was wrecking my knees. It's a shame, I felt like it was having an effect. Might start it again when i feel repaired, but not do it every day. Meanwhile, I'm incorporating some of the kinder exercises into my regime.
    I was having some problems with my knees as well until I started doing all the cardio on one of those mini trampolines - works a charm!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :huh: Trying to not sound stupid but can you explain what the 'shred' is? It sounds intense but gives results.
    Anyone? :bigsmile:

Its a workout DVD fro Jillian Michaels, the 30 day shred.

Really pretty intense, and if you do it every day for 30 days (which is the idea) the results can be amazing.
  • Hey,

I started it last night too and I'm certainly feeling it this morning! Totally worth sticking at it though. Embrace the burn and look at it like this - it hurts because it's working!!

x
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Started last night too, found it really hard and struggled, I couldn't do the easy version of pressups either lol, she was all like "don't stick your bum up" and I was shouting back "I'm going to fall over if I lower my bum!!"

I've heard a few of my friends on here say they have muted the tv and just followed it and found it easier to play music, so might try that because Jillian's voice annoys me lol

Lets do it together, today is day 2 for us both and we are both struggling so it might be easier if we 'team up' and do it :) xx
  • IamHisDaughter
    IamHisDaughter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried this last year in July, I felt it! I started with 5lb and went down to 2lbs the next day. I gave up just because w.ell my kids were all out of school so every day was harder and harder to find the time to do it. But I'm sick of my flab! If you don't have weights yet and even if you get the 3lb ones and you feel like it's way too hard take it slow do one day where you are just doing the motions then the next day use the weights just don't give up! Pain=beauty! :happy:

I re-started it two nights ago and yeah it's painful :sad: but I noticed that yesterday was easier then the day before still hard but just a bit easier and I'm going to do my 30DS this after noon after I go for my walk this morning! Good luck! I think you'll enjoy the end results, that's what keeps me going. P.S. I know some one who body builds and he said the first week it's going to be painful because your body is not use to the way you are making it move and the "stress" you are putting on your muscles.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Of course it's hard! You can't expect results doing 20 mins a day for a month without working your butt off.

Work at it.