What the heck??????!!!!!!!!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
It is so frustrating! I was great this week. Ate well ( I didn't even splurge on Easter!), I drink tons of water and pushed myself even further exercising this week and I get on the scale today and I am basically maintaining. The scale was fluctuating between a maintain and going up a lb too!! I guess it is my turn to hit a plateau because nothing else makes sense.

And last week I was SO happy to get under 200! I was at 199 and today it is fluctuating back to 200!!! It's like it's messing with my head on purpose!

I AM retaining water for some reason this morning. My rings go on super tight. I don't know why. It is not TOM or anything. I drank like 90 ounces of water yesterday and I only ate around 1900 mg of sodium!

I am not giving up because I KNOW his process works, I am just really ticked off!!! I was expecting to see at least 197!! I know I have lost a ton of weight since September and that is great but darn!! Why couldn't I hit a plateau when I was a little lower so I didn't have to see that 2 in front of my weight again! Even for water bloat!

:(

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    It is so frustrating! I was great this week. Ate well ( I didn't even splurge on Easter!), I drink tons of water and pushed myself even further exercising this week and I get on the scale today and I am basically maintaining. The scale was fluctuating between a maintain and going up a lb too!! I guess it is my turn to hit a plateau because nothing else makes sense.

And last week I was SO happy to get under 200! I was at 199 and today it is fluctuating back to 200!!! It's like it's messing with my head on purpose!

I AM retaining water for some reason this morning. My rings go on super tight. I don't know why. It is not TOM or anything. I drank like 90 ounces of water yesterday and I only ate around 1900 mg of sodium!

I am not giving up because I KNOW his process works, I am just really ticked off!!! I was expecting to see at least 197!! I know I have lost a ton of weight since September and that is great but darn!! Why couldn't I hit a plateau when I was a little lower so I didn't have to see that 2 in front of my weight again! Even for water bloat!

:(
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your scale problems! I just went under 180 to 179 last week and I'm so afraid that when I weigh in tomorrow I might gain back up. I also am frustrated because I've been working out every day for 2 weeks and I'm starting to notice good changes everywhere except around my middle!! I feel like my stomach/love handles haven't gone down at all!! I have been doing plenty of ab excersizes too..soooo annoying!
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your scale problems! I just went under 180 to 179 last week and I'm so afraid that when I weigh in tomorrow I might gain back up. I also am frustrated because I've been working out every day for 2 weeks and I'm starting to notice good changes everywhere except around my middle!! I feel like my stomach/love handles haven't gone down at all!! I have been doing plenty of ab excersizes too..soooo annoying!

Your abs are the hardest area to loose weight. Hey at least you guys are loosing. I been on this dang site for 3 months and have not lost a pound. But with drinking all of this water my skin sure is pretty. So it is worth something. lol
  • PrincessRitty
    Options

They will come ( your abs) once the weight goes down, as you may know, most poeple looose weight from top down, starting obviously with your face. Your stomache may well be the last place youll loose from, and actaully see a differnce in, but keep up the good work, Exercising every day for 2 weeks :wink: Thats Excellent, I managed Tuesday but i felt as if i had my abs had been punched out :sad: so cusnt do anything last night.

Keep Up the good work.

Tami,

I sorry to hear about your struggle, but just think, if its water, next week when you step up on those scales, you may even see a double drop :tongue: Or at least maybe a Lb extra than what you expected!!

Your Doing Great Though
    I dont have your persiverance, nor pateince
    Well Done

__x (Please excuse the spelling mistakes :tongue: )
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    2 things to remember tam. 1st is that, it's only 1 week, your body isn't going to conform to the average every week, I.E. some weeks you may lose 2 or 3, some you may lose none or gain 1 or 2. This is just how it is. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. There are sooooo many factors involved in calorie burn in your body that, like the chaos theory, take too small a sample size, and it looks like gibberish, but take a larger one (like a month or two) and you see the pattern emerge.

2nd thing I picked up on is this: " I drink tons of water" . While drinking water is most assuredly good and right, it can, and will, give you water weight. That's why most experts agree to set a time of day, and day of week (or day of month preferably) that you weigh in. When you do so, it's best to do it early in the morning, before you eat breakfast, or drink water. Because you want to control the variables as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with water weight, and water is important for flushing out all the lactic acid we build up when using weights or exercising heavily, as well as flushing other toxins and providing a base for cell construction, but it can make you gain up to four or five pounds. So in reality tam, you could actually have lost up to 3 pounds this week, but you just don't know because you had water in your system.

I hope this helps.

FYI: I know "chaos theory" sounds really scientific and dorky, but it's the basic priciple macro-economics is based on. Basically it just means, a single or small sample of something may look random, but when you take a larger group, a pattern emerges (this is overly simplistic, but for our purposes it fits)

:happy:
  • karilynn
    karilynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear!! i just went throught the same thing this week....i never went over my calories, and i was exercising every day, i even increased my level. when i got on the scale, it shocked me to see i didn't lose anything. i remembered reading that once in a while you need to "shock" your metabolism and have an off day, so yesturday i did just that. we had a bbq (which i didn't do to badly at), but i also had fries later, icecream, and a triple triple tim hortons coffee. when i got on the scale this morning, i was down 2 lbs...go figure!! very weird...back to the grind today though! try not to get too fusterated, hang in there..you are doing awesome!!:drinker:
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    Hang in there!
    I can relate: my scale plays nasty tricks on me too :laugh:
    Way to go though making all that extra effort just don't give up as this is the time when you just ave to trust that it all works.
    Rememer that if you look back over a LONG PERIOD you will see all the good that this method does. The days come and go (and I am definitely a scale junky!) and some days are higher, others are lower, but month by month it works :smile:
    Thomas
  • phollowa
    phollowa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...but my trainer says to chunk the scale and go to strictly measuring yourself. Measure your waist, butt, arms, etc and watch the inches go instead of the pounds. Then weigh yourself maybe once every other week. It's worked for me...I get excited to see an inch go and if I step on the scale two weeks later and have only lost one pound, I'm not discouraged. Hope this helps!!!! Your doing great...good luck!:happy:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Tam your doing awesomly well, don't let this get you down. My scales have been 'lying' to me this week too, showing a 1 lb gain, (that might have something to do with the alcohol on the weekend :tongue: )

you are doing great!!!!!!! and as banks says you could well have lost 3lbs :smile:

Al
    :flowerforyou:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey
    You are doing awesome and you are an inspiration to us!!!! dont get discouraged!!!....but on the funny side just sniff some cadbury cream egg wrappers and youll feel better:wink: i can lend you my wrappers if you dont have your own:tongue: And hey we all have our issues with this weight thing... I measue myself and i have lost 2 inches on my chest but none anywhere else!!!! i think im deflating:laugh: and its the last place i want to lose not the first geeze. i will be a flat chested woman with a HUGE booty :laugh:
    you can do this!!!! i believe in you!!!!!! keep going forward:wink:
    j~
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up!!! You have been doing awesome. And of course you know how wierd the body can be, I just quit smoking 2 weeks ago so my scales haven't moved at all in a bit now!! Maybe if your still weighing in once a week cut it in half for the next little while. It would not be cool for you to have come all this way just to get discouraged, We have your back!!!lol
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support. I think I just got spoiled by losing so well for so long. It's hard to get used to my body not cooperating as much.

I just got back from the gym. The good thing is that when I wake up on my weigh day and it doesn't go well, it is a gym day as well and I go work out my frustrations! Take that elliptical!!! And the endorphins end up making me feel better of course.

I am just ticked off! I was really looking forward to being a few pounds away from 200, rather than just 1! I know it probably seems silly. It's just a number! I don't know. I was just really let down.

I probably should buy a tape measure for a more accurate reading. I do weigh once a week and at the same time, first thing in the morning, so it SHOULD be a pretty good reading.

Banks, I thought drinking a lot of water helped to flush it out so you don't retain it? That was what I always heard. I drank like 86 ounces yesterday. But, I WAS bloated this morning. I can always tell when I put my rings on because they used to be tight when I was heavier, then as I have lost they are super loose and move all over my finger. Today, they would barely go on!!

Also, I think I may be coming down with a stomach bug or something. I don't know. I'm nauseous and just don't feel right. I forced myself to the gym and managed to get a decent workout but I was fighting back running to the bathroom a few times. Could that have anything to do with my crappy weigh-in? I mean, does being sick affect that kind of thing??

Thanks again!
    Tami
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Being sick messes up your whole system, anything could happen.

Sorry thats not a definative responce...

Al

:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    That could very well be what is going on..it could be being sick or just water, or my body just taking a break. I don't know. Sigh!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    drinking water helps your body overall, but it's not necessarily a daily thing, depending on how much sodium you had, and many other factors, your body can hold more water from one day to the next. I guess the moral is, once the "easy" weight comes off, your body becomes more aware of the little things like small changes in body chemistry. It is harder to judge via weight alone if you're suceeding as you approach your maintenance weight, that's why things like body fat % and using a measuring tape become so much more valuable.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    This is how I ate this past week, calorie wise anyway. My fat is usually around 40 g a day, sometimes less. According to various sites, my BMR is in the mid 1600's. I know the calories burned at the gym aren't exact, though I do enter my weight into the elliptical and keep my HR above my target HR.

What could I do differently??? Thanks!!!

Thurs: 1625 calories, burned 700 at the gym
    Fri: 1520 calories
    Sat: 1693 calories, burned 697 at the gym
    Sun: 1616 calories, burned 693 at the gym
    Mon: 1504 calories
    Tuesday: 1658 caories, burned 721 at the gym
    Wed (yesterday):1422 calories ( I tend to eat lightly the day before I weigh)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I feel your pain..didn't splurge this weekend and was UP .5 pounds....
    Keep up the great work!

Kim
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're exercising every day, but you're not seeing the results you want on the scale, try not to put so much emphasis and worry about losing the weight.

It could be that your body is replacing that fat with some good solid muscle. I'd rather be 180 lbs of muscle than 160 lbs of flab!
  • fabflo72
    fabflo72 Posts: 29
    Options
    That is so true Cobra, that took me awhile to figure out, so I tend to lean towards the tape measure rather then the (cursed) scale. Tamin all your hard work will pay off,best of luck to you and keep your head up,I'm new to this site and I love the support system you have here!!!
    Flo;0)
  • wanabgawgus
    Options
    isint it true that when you excersize the fat turns to muscle therefore making you put on weight in the first few weeks?