I need advice...

Options
How beneficial would taking a day to rest from my exercise be? I've been staying at it consistently for six days per week and still walking, but not doing strength training, on the seventh. I guess what I'm asking is would it hinder or help my overall fitness to leave off strength training for one day per week?

Replies

• Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's actually very beneficial. You really should have one day off every week from exercise so you're body can rest. It's good for your body to have a full day off of exercise. If you still feel like walking on your day off, I say go for it, but don't go crazy and do some type of speed walking haha :laugh: Just take it easy on that day and make sure you watch what you eat bc you're cal intake will be lower that day without the extra exercise cals.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it depends on a couple of things.....

generally...say you hit chest and shoulders pretty hard on Wed....you should not hit those areas until at least Fri....you can lift everyday...just dont hit the same area two days in a row

if you are really hitting hit hard for 6 days.....a day off is a good idea....it really depnds on how hard your workouts are and your goal.....I generally do some type of resistence work everyday...even if it is only pushups.....you might compromise....do a shorter workout or a less intense workout on your day "off"
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of circut training and it's wearing me out, although I think I may do a few pushups or something. Thanks for the advice!
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I take every Sunday off. I get at least 120 minutes of exercise everyday, ST on three of those days, so my muscles really need the time off at the end of the week. Plus, I feel like my workout is that much better when I get back to it Monday morning. It feels amazing actually.:wink:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    How beneficial would taking a day to rest from my exercise be? I've been staying at it consistently for six days per week and still walking, but not doing strength training, on the seventh. I guess what I'm asking is would it hinder or help my overall fitness to leave off strength training for one day per week?

I think its very beneficial....both physically and psychologically....
    You need that day to recoup (muscles need a break to restore)... And also, its nice to have a day where you can just relax and enjoy yourself without thinking about getting your exercise in....or at least give yourself that option...
    I usually feel so good doing my cardio that sometimes I do it 7 days a week, just to get that great feeling! But sometimes I only do it 5 days a week.... (I take the weekend off just to hang out and enjoy my family)....
    Good luck finding your balance and what works for you (:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't take a rest day, but I do work a 2 day rotation when it comes to stregnth training, meaning I alternate the muscles I work. The only time I take a full rest day is when I'm sick.
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    I also take "off" on Sundays - but I don't just sit around - so for example today I will most likely walk to the pool and swim a bit - I just don't track it and if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. The other days i workout between 45 to 90 minutes/day depending on how much time I have - I also have long intense work out every Saturday - so on Sundays the "rest" feels good.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. It can do it good to take a day off. Then you can hit it hard the next day. I think it is key to learn to listen to our bodies. It can take some re-training though for example are we as hungry as we think we are or do we need water or does my body need some rest to let it heal from the previous 6 days of torture I have put it though.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for me...and I repeat ...for me.....I am a bit obsessive....I feel like I am cheating myself if I dont do anything for an entire day....it takes about 10 minutes to do 5 sets of pushups.....so for me...I need to do something or when I go to sleep and am reviewing my day...I have some whacky need to recall whatever workout I did....I feel better mentally if I do something...even if it aint a full blown workout
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I change my stuff up throughout the week.
    example:
    mon circuit training
    tues walking and strength training
    wed running
    thurs biking and strength training
    fri running
    sat walking and dancing
    sun walking

That way I am still burning calories but not always working so hard every day.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It's easy to overtrain, you'll not lose weight and you're wearing your body down. You need at least 1 day of rest a week.