Chips and Salsa

Options
I love tortilla chips and salsa, however, I'm trying to change my eating habits. Is there a way I can still enjoy them? Please help.

Replies

• leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmm tortillas and salsa..........you just made me hungry!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with chips & salsa? Corn, vegetable oil, tomatoes, peppers, onions. What's unhealthy about that? The sodium is a little high but that won't kill you every now and then.

I eat them occasionally & it didn't hinder my weight loss.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Have them in moderation, instead of eating a whole bowl, eat half a bowl.......:)
  • wantangbob
    Options
    Swap chips for carrots or celery (so you get the crunch) and make your own salsa from red-onion, tomato and coriander
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love(but can't find them anymore) UTZ brand baked tortilla chips with really almost any salsa...I think 14 chipds was 120 cals!
  • jasperoak
    Options
    Salsa is low cal. Buy baked tortilla chips or make your own. Cut a pita in half and then cut into triangles. Spray with an oil spray and sprinkle on seasoning of your choice. Bake at 400 until golden.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It may not sound like much fun, but I cut celery into 1 inch pieces and use that to scoop up my salsa. Works for the salsa part of the craving!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Someone had posted on my snack post to take small corn tortilla's cut them up in triangles, spray with cooking spray and bake to your desired crispness. Enjoy!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your concerns with eating it in the first place are.

Look for a new chip with lower sodium, less fat, organic, whatever. There's one particular brand my wife gets sometimes that she is happy eating, and she eats very clean.

For salsa, again, find a better brand or just make your own.

And reduce your portion sizes so you stay within your nutritional goals for the day.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bake corn tortillas. Spray a little cooking spray on them and a sprinkle a bit of salt. I like them slightly underbaked, which makes them a bit chewy.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i use the special k cracker chips (sea salt) instead of regular corn chips. it's not quite the same but it's still pretty good! as long as you don't mind lots of sodium... :smile:
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    salsa its not bad as long you dont buy the ones that contain sugar, there is nothing better that home made ind, and try to buy "baked chips" and of course use moderation.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Love chips and salsa. I count my chips(serving size) and then close the bag, or at a restaurant count the chips out and move the basket away. This lets me enjoy the chips without over indulging which is easy for me to do with chips and salsa.

I am usually satisfied with what I have counted out to eat and if not I will go count out some more.

For me it is being aware of what I am eating rather than mindlessly eating.
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Salsa is a great healthy condiment (make sure it's low sodium of course). I too love me some chips and salsa so what I do is make my own salsa or guacamole and use either Benitos chips (made with beans instead of corn and has protein) or multi grain/baked tortilla chips. You can also make your own chips using whole wheat wraps/tortillas or dip veggies into the salsa. No need to cut out such a great tasting food!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bake corn tortillas. Spray a little cooking spray on them and a sprinkle a bit of salt. I like them slightly underbaked, which makes them a bit chewy.

This! It's also delish with flour tortillas as well, but a little higher calorie. Also, Tostitos brand makes baked scoop corn chips and they are pretty good. I've served them at parties before and no one missed the real thing.
  • amknapp82
    amknapp82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am learning too! Learning to be satisfied with smaller portions of all the yummy stuff!! Count all calories and be willing give up one favorite food a day for another. It's a trade off, and it gives you something to look forward to tomorrow. Plan it. If you want to have chips n salsa for an evening snack, have a little less during the day. I have been logging my calories through the days and find that it has been easier to manage and plan for the times of day when I get "famished".
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Mission makes extra thin corn tortllas that are 80 calories per serving (2 tortillas). I keep them in my fridge and use them to make taco or tostada shells and chips.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    baked chips or reduced fat wheat thins are awesome!! You can probably find a healthier cracker than wheat thins..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I found a low-sodium (110 mg) brand of salsa called White Diamond on sale at Publix. Buy one, get one free.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That's probably one of my absolute favorite foods. Don't have it every day, but there is no reason you can't have it occasionally. Just choose higher quality, more natural tortilla chips and the same with salsa.