Measuring Portions of Salad

For those of you who make your own salad how do measure a portion of it? I tend to make a big bowl and it will last the family about 2 - 3 days but I tend to use several "helpings" of it for each meal. Any suggestions on how to get a gauge on how much is there or should I not stress over it?

Thanks,

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Not worth worrying about, call it 25 cals per "helping" and move on.

If you're not losing weight, it won't be because you're overeating salad.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    I created a recipe for my big salad (Itypically use the same veggies) then log the portions like everything else and log the dressing separately as it varies.
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    I've set and looked up calories for every ingredient in my slalad before and it is time consuming and not really worth the trouble....There are so few calories in raw veggies that you could just say 25-50 calories per serving and be safe witht that...just dont forget to add in the dressing cause that is where most the calories come from
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    For those of you who make your own salad how do measure a portion of it? I tend to make a big bowl and it will last the family about 2 - 3 days but I tend to use several "helpings" of it for each meal. Any suggestions on how to get a gauge on how much is there or should I not stress over it?

Thanks,

Weight all the ingredients separately.
    Total all your calories.
    Make the salad.
    Weigh the salad as a whole.
    Decide what you consider a portion

Then using your total calories, total weight of the salad, your potion weight, use ratio/proportion equation and solve for X