I need a reply to this comment I keep getting

Options
I have a friend who is super competitive and since I started eating healthier and working out, I guess she had to try and "do better" than me (knowing that while it's coming off slowly, it's still a lot of work).

Yesterday she tells me "oh I just started low carbing again and I've already lost seven pounds! I lost four in the first two days!" I said "oh that's good" and just changed the subject because I found it pretty insensitive to tell someone that, knowing they've been working really hard. Especially when I'm doing it the right way...not by eating string cheese and pepperoni and bunless burgers.

I just know it's going to come up again, especially since today her facebook status was "8 down already!!!" Grrrr. She does low carb at least once a year, loses twenty pounds, loses interest, and gains it all back. I kind of want to remind her of that but don't want to be rude. Any suggestions on how to put her in her place? Hehehe.

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Say "that's nice, I'm changing my lifestyle so I can get healthy and fit, AND stay that way. I wouldn't want to do the yo-yo thing" And leave it at that
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I find headbutting useful? Lol, sorry, I have a friend like this so I know how you feel. To be honest I found them too toxic to be around and withdrew from them.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Say "that's nice, I'm changing my lifestyle so I can get healthy and fit, AND stay that way. I wouldn't want to do the yo-yo thing" And leave it at that

THIS
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    " I like losing weight the way I am doing it... a little more slowly but I eat all the carbs I want!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARBS, NOM NOM NOM ". Then eat carbs in front of her, smacking your lips and moaning with food-pleasure.

Alright, maybe a little over the top but I dislike that obnoxious, competitive weight loss comments from friends :wink:
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well if she can lose 20 lbs by doing that. How about sneaking in little tips on her to be healthy long term and keeping the 20 lbs off? Let her know she can eat carbs & still be healthy & lose weight.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Start telling her how you're making a lifesytle change. You're not just doing something termporary and you're going to be healthy the rest of your life because of it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    It's common to lose 5-10 lbs when you start low carb. It's all water loss, since the lack of grains requires less water to pass through the digestive system.

Hide her from your facebook feed.

You can only control you.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    If you are doing it the right way, then the only "comeback" you need will be your ability to keep the weight off come 6 months from now when shes gotten bored of her low carb diet and is putting all the weight back on again.

Just brush it off for now. Be the bigger person.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I would just say "That's nice dear."
  • Chubbasmommy
    Options
    i have a friend exactly like that....she always tries to out do anythin that i say or do. and shes a "know-it-all" on top of it. i began realizing that is was just too much effort to be her friend....so i haven't talked to her in months.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.

This, hard as it is.
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Say something like, "I've heard that the low carb thing isn't supposed to be a diet but a lifestyle or the person gains all the lost weight back. So be careful with that"

Let her be petty, you don't have to. We're LADIES not teen girls. :wink:
  • JeanetteDee
    JeanetteDee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    " I like losing weight the way I am doing it... a little more slowly but I eat all the carbs I want!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARBS, NOM NOM NOM ". Then eat carbs in front of her, smacking your lips and moaning with food-pleasure.

Alright, maybe a little over the top but I dislike that obnoxious, competitive weight loss comments from friends :wink:

THIS
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Just say, "Good for you!"

It's not really your place to judge or decide what she does with her life. Also, she's proud of her loss. She's not being insensitive, you are being overly sensitive. Why in the world do you feel compelled to, "put her in her place" ??? I think that actually shows that you are the competitive one.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    I agree to ignore it. She gets attention at first and then she'll stop posting about it and talking about it once she gets bored and it all comes back on plus some. I did low carb and lost 60 pounds but after I stopped and people stopped asking about it I gained it all back plus some. Now I'm in a lifestyle change that is going to keep me healthy for the rest of my life. The thing about losing weight the healthy way is that patience is the key. Its not a fad or a magic trick. Its hard work! Don't let her get you down or discourage you because you're doing great!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Yep. It can't be a competition if you don't play into it as well. Give her some high fives and let her figure out her own path. No 'comeback' needed. :flowerforyou:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I going to go with the "ignore her" crowd. Focus on yourself & do what you know is best for you, and let her do her thing. I have some Facebook friends who insist on posting political and/or controversial comments solely for the purpose of getting folks riled up. I ignore them too. :laugh:
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    On average you shouldn't lose more than 2lbs per week. Huge losses i a short amount of time guarentee the weight to come back every single time.

She just keeps dietting which is great if it's for a role in a movie/show or dropping a weight class in MMa/Boxing, but what your doing isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change.

Just ignore and keep doing what your doing, at least your more healthy consistently!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'd take the high road. I'd say "That's terrific!" and move on. It's enough that you know that you are making an actual lifestyle choice.

My ex husband did Atkins on and off, and always tried to get me to join him (since it was too tempting for me to have carbs around). I did try it, and yes, I dropped massive weight quickly. But I could never, EVER make those permanent changes, and always felt like I was being really unhealthy. He would get terrible bouts of gout that his doctor told him was likely related to Atkins. So if I were you, I'd smile and move on, and hope that she cheers you on when you reach your goal. Good luck!