I need a reply to this comment I keep getting

Options

Replies

• ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Say "that's nice, I'm changing my lifestyle so I can get healthy and fit, AND stay that way. I wouldn't want to do the yo-yo thing" And leave it at that

I agree, say this, x
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha I love these replies! In actuality I will probably say nothing but keep those hilarious remarks tucked away for the next reminder on how much she's now lost! Like I said, I know it's her competitive nature to try and one-up me and whatever it is at the moment, but I just found it insensitive, that's all. I don't have a competitive bone in my body, so that's certainly not it. Thanks, all! :)

Oh, and I recommended this site to her and she said "Oh I use Spark People and it's SO much better." LOL
    Spark People? Oh hell no...she's asking for it...
    bloody_nose.gif
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that - she mocks calorie counting and is always on the latest fad diet - you name it, she's tried it so that makes her an expert. Every now and then she loses 20lb, then puts it back, with more on top. As a consequence, in the time that I've known her, she's got bigger and I've got smaller, but she's still 'the expert'!
    Guess what her latest fad was? Yes, calorie counting! I'd recommended MFP to her, she found a different site which she said was better, stuck with it for a few weeks and then got bored!
    So just smile and nod - one day she'll come to her senses!

One of my coworkers used to make fun of my calorie counting on MFP and tell me I was obsessed with being healthy because I was logging my foods...she recently started doing the Tim Ferris (?) Four Hour Diet plan and gushes about how she doesn't have to count calories...I do have to give her credit though, she's eating much healthier and losing weight and inches, so it's working for her and I'm happy for her--I am gonna continue to count calories because it works for me. To each their own, I guess.
  • JVanDam77
    Options
    Maybe she feels the need to "out do" you because she is jealous of you, and insecure about herself. I would just encourage her and maybe even compliment her. After all, you usually get what you give. Good luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.

Give it gently. This is exactly what's wrong w/ America.

Give her the truth, not some watered down "be nice" version. The truth is the best thing you can give anyone.

You can give the truth without being a jerk though. That's all I meant. No need for a harsh or witty comeback.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I've got two "go to" responses for most things:

1. "Well aren't you f***ing precious."

2. "Go f*** off."

Profane, sure. But it works.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I'd take the high road. I'd say "That's terrific!" and move on. It's enough that you know that you are making an actual lifestyle choice.

I agree. I've had competitive friends, and it stings when they try to one-up me, but I realize that often they're just being needy and want my praise and approval. You're doing something amazing for yourself, and it stinks that this friend is trying to steal your thunder, but some people can only give what they can give. She doesn't sound like she's capable of being your cheerleader. Good thing you have all of us!
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you guys are friends, why don't you just talk to her about it. Like, "hey, I don't like it when you talk about how much weight you lost because it makes me feel bad." Why try and find a "come back?"

Be honest with yourself about why your upset. Be honest with her. If you're friends you should be able to talk this out instead of going behind her back to find a way to cut her down. I sure wouldn't want a friend like that!!!

I don't think you're wanting or trying to be petty. But here's your wake up call: you're being petty. If she's your friend you should be happy for her. If you can't be happy for her, then talk it out with her.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. Why do you need a comeback? It actually has nothing to do with you. It's her journey. Just leave her to it. If she asks for your advice, give it gently, but if not, just congratulate her on her losses and leave it at that.

Give her the truth, not some watered down "be nice" version. The truth is the best thing you can give anyone.

You can give the truth without being a jerk though. That's all I meant. No need for a harsh or witty comeback.

What fun is that?
  • AzGilrock
    AzGilrock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not even on a low carb diet and I saw a big drop the first week. We all know it's mainly water if we've done this before. As an engineer I like to throw math at them. "Oh really, you lost 4 pounds in 2 days. Well you know it's gotta be mainly water because you need to burn 3,600 calories to lose a pound of fat so you would need to burn 14,400 calories above you're calorie intake in 2 days to lose 4 pounds of actual fat."
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

What fun is that?

Personally I find it more fun to keep a friendship that I care about instead of being a *kitten*. But that's just me. And if it's a friendship that I don't care about, I see no need to say anything at all. Just leave it alone.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    just say "let's hope you can keep it off this time,if not i'm sure ben and jerry will welcome you back with open arms!" life's to short to worry about what people think.
  • arykh24
    Options
    Just stay quiet about it right now. Since you are actually changing your lifestyle, you will be the successful one in the end while she is still fighting those lbs! don't let her get to you.
  • spollard40
    spollard40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    dont even worry about it, as soon as she eats some carbs all that water loss will just creep back on anyway

ps, whats wrong with string cheese??

Oh, I'm not knocking string cheese at all! It's a good snack food! But to live on it...with meat...I was just giving an example.
  • JazzBar9363
    Options
    Living a healthy, happy life is the best revenge. You don't need to put her in her place. She will most likely gain it all back and then some. Meanwhile, you'll be losing slowly, but it'll be a lifestyle change and will last longer. You don't need to be mean and petty to show face. Just be happy with you, and compliment her on her attempt. At least she is trying. I know some people who aren't even trying. And it is you that has spurred her on to try. Take that as a compliment.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Let your friend know you are glad she's found something that works for her and hopefully you can share each other's successes along the way.

You already know for certain your approach to health includes weight loss but also has other important aspects to you such as fitness. Should your friend choose to stay on this path she's only going to get so far and has a high probability of re-gaining the weight back, including the possibility of even more within the next few months. We've all been there....

Rather than having a pissing contest about this, use your reactions and emotions to push you to exercise and make good nutrition choices, which will empower you toward your goal rather than engaging in negative behavior that's likely to drain your energy, possibly even making you want to reach for the carb bag of chips for comfort.

Just focus on your goal and there won't be anything to discuss in 6 months because you're mere presence will state it all....you go girl!!!
  • lab280
    Options
    It's not what you say to her that matters, it's what you internalize and say to yourself that matters. There is always going to be someone out there who wants to one up you or tell you that you can't do something. Don't let their comments take up real estate in your brain.
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Let your body & results be your best comeback!

Shes obviously trying to compete with YOU,..take that into thought ....smile, & keep doing your thing.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Bake cookies with lots of butter, sugar, and flour then tell her they are low-fat low-carb. Bwahahahahaha!!! :devil:
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If it were my friend I would probably say, "That's great! But are you sure that's really healthy? You have to be careful with extreme diets like that because usually the weight comes back and sometimes twice as much. I'm doing it slowly and healthy and not depriving myself, and I know I will be able to maintain my weight loss. I really am happy for you, but I just want to make sure that you are doing it in asafe and healthy way."

And also agreed about switching your settings so you don't see her FB updates if it really does bother you.