Down almost 30 lbs and feel worse?

Options
I just wanted to know if anyone else feels like this? I am down almost 30 lbs and I feel like I look worse. Before my stomach was kinda bloated and solid looking and now it all has just dropped and its all just hanging down in my "mommy pouch". I feel like I should "look better" than I do. I feel like I am loosing everywhere except where I feel like I need to be. Please tell me I am not alone with this?!?!

Replies

• inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just going through the same as you, about the same down since i started, before my muffin top was big but evenly rounded, now i have lost some around there it has sort of sagging down, so it makes my muffin top and stomach look like rolling hills and i feel more conscious of it. Same with my top of my legs, now i have lost weight and the fat is less in that area goes in and out. I measure my muffin top and last week it went up half an inch, as i always measure the largest part, it has got smaller but it all seems have dropped.

Anyway, i am sticking with it as 30lbs is a great start and i just need to work out and eat better and in a few weeks my smaller but more dropping muffin top will look better. It is really really frustrating, but i have to keep telling myself that i am going in the right direction ang will just have to put up with until i shift some more weight. At least i am healthier as you are by losing hte weight.

Abit like growing your hair you go through that horrid messy stage before it looks great.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight training to give you some shape?

Are you eating very low calories - you may be losing some of your lean mass which can make you look bad too?

How much more do you have to lose?

And you know that darn mommy pouch is just a tough thing for a lot of people (((Hugs)))
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can really do about it. Your skin was solid before because your fat was pushing up against it and stretching it out. Now that the fat is disappearing, the skin is getting deflated like a balloon. So you end up almost more jiggly than before. It will take time for the skin to recover, longer than it took to lose the fat. It's helpful to do heavy weight training and try to build up the muscle to fill the void but it only helps so much - time is the main factor.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can really do about it. Your skin was solid before because your fat was pushing up against it and stretching it out. Now that the fat is disappearing, the skin is getting deflated like a balloon. So you end up almost more jiggly than before. It will take time for the skin to recover, longer than it took to lose the fat. It's helpful to do heavy weight training and try to build up the muscle to fill the void but it only helps so much - time is the main factor.

This^ the lower belly is the last to go and it looks like its dropped.
  • j_zanzig
    j_zanzig Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight training to give you some shape?

Are you eating very low calories - you may be losing some of your lean mass which can make you look bad too?

How much more do you have to lose?

And you know that darn mommy pouch is just a tough thing for a lot of people (((Hugs)))

I am just doing Turbo Fire now but I am going to see a trainer on Monday. I need to loose about 30-40 more pounds.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Also make sure that you are drinking enough water to hydrate yourself and for your skin too so your skin will be able to recover nicely too.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I lost my baby weight. It took a year for my skin to elastisize back into place. Give yourself time and try some weight training. Some peoples skin is more forgiving than others in fact some studies show that people with more oily skin type tends to age more slowly and is more elastic. We just got to love the bodies we are born with and make the best of what we have got. Patience is key!
  • j_zanzig
    Options
    Just going through the same as you, about the same down since i started, before my muffin top was big but evenly rounded, now i have lost some around there it has sort of sagging down, so it makes my muffin top and stomach look like rolling hills and i feel more conscious of it. Same with my top of my legs, now i have lost weight and the fat is less in that area goes in and out. I measure my muffin top and last week it went up half an inch, as i always measure the largest part, it has got smaller but it all seems have dropped.

Anyway, i am sticking with it as 30lbs is a great start and i just need to work out and eat better and in a few weeks my smaller but more dropping muffin top will look better. It is really really frustrating, but i have to keep telling myself that i am going in the right direction ang will just have to put up with until i shift some more weight. At least i am healthier as you are by losing hte weight.

Abit like growing your hair you go through that horrid messy stage before it looks great.

That's how I feel. I am way more conscious about it than I ever have been. I am going to keep working at it, but I just hope to see some of my muffin top go away! I think I would feel better if that started to go down. I hate the front too but you can hide that. It's not as easy to hid your sides! That is true about the hair thing!! Good way to look at it!
  • Mary067
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have lost 20 pounds so far and still have my saggy tummy. However, when I got super skinny during my divorce 6 years ago, the tummy was gone, so it will just take some time.
  • j_zanzig
    Options
    I have been drinking a ton of water lately! I hope it helps!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, wrinkly/saggy looking stomach, as i go down, haven't lost as much as you yet, but i can tell already. as previous people have said, it just takes time. if you don't already do some strength training, that could definitely help. I was thinking of getting one of those skin firming lotions, lol couldn't hurt, right?
  • Shanaedunn
    Shanaedunn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First I want to tell you I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! What an amazing job you have done in losing 30 pounds way to go!

Now I understand how you feel and I have a lot of skin that hangs in places that I dont like this is what I will tell you. This site is full of wonderful people who have given me great information and exercises on how to tone as you lose. I had no idea that was something that you needed to do. Also research is something that I have learned on this site as well the people here are great and the give you great advise but do some online research as well goggle exercises that help you tone _________ fill in the blank and that will hopefully assist you as well.

Again you are amazing and I wish you the best of luck as you continue your course.

Shanae`
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Things got a little awkward for me around 30lbs too. Keep it up. Your body will start changing in ways that you like!! :smile:
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your body is a flower that life let bloom.... ~Ilchi Lee
    Remember to pay gratitude to your body for the miracle of live you created within. I carry the majority of my weight in my belly. I do cardio and do a lot of core work like pilates (which is relaxing and I can do it before bed). Give your skin time, accept yourself as you are and celebrate all you have done so far along this path of health. Your skin will remember what to do :-)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific evidence, so...I'm only suggesting this from personal experience.

Try wearing Spanx or some other moderately restrictive undergarment that has similar style to bike shorts. Moisturize your skin with heavy cream when you get out of the shower or bath, immediately. Slip on your undies, and then into the Spanx.

The two times I lost 30 lbs, this seemed to help my skin retract pretty quickly. I didn't sleep in them, but I wore them beneath my workclothes during the day.

I noticed a difference within a few months. Admittedly, my lose skin was from being overweight, not from the miracle of childbirth/motherhood.

Congratulations and keep on rockin'! You're doing great!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. At my top, I was 342 lbs. It got worse before it got better. I am still losing, so It hasnt really caught up yet, but almost. Drink plenty of water, and use plenty of lotion. It will get there. It will go back to being at least mostly smooth. Just try to be patient. I wore a Kymora (sp?) body shaper for a while just to smooth out the lumps I had developed. It helped me feel like I at least LOOKED better in clothes than before. But it does catch up. It takes a year or two sometimes.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Things get saggy before they tighten up. Hang in there! Keep exercising and things will get better. Constipation and PMS can affect things temporarily too.
  • j_zanzig
    Options
    I have had 3 c-sections so I figured its going to take a while. I just have been really bothered by it lately and wanted to make sure I wasn't alone. I have a body shaping tank top that I wear every day b/c it "smooths" everything out.

Thanks for all the kinds words :) I would not be 30 lbs lighter if it wasn't for this website and you amazing people!
  • carlos1989
    carlos1989 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post... the same thing is happening to me right now... but i have been incorporating strength training into my workout sessions.... my workout schedule is cardio mons, weds, fridays, n i do strength training like the ab lounge amongst other exercises on tuesdays n thursdays... will that help in my waist area getting toned?
  • Tjacobs78
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I have 3 children. My youngest is 1 yr old. I am having the same problem. I have dropped 35 lbs to date. My stomach and hips/thigh areas are no where near what they used to be. Like you, I stand in front of the mirror & just imagine how much thinner I would look if it wasn't for the loose skin I see. I do a mix of carido & strength training 3-5 x per week. Unfortunately I feel for me there is no way to fix this problem with exercise because the skin has just been stretched too many times. I have thrown around the mini tummy tuck idea but am not sure if I want to go that drastic. I know that is a touchy subject for some, but I have thought about it. I can definitely feel the muscle tone underneath so what I am doing is working. Guess I just need to give it alittle more time. It does do a number on your self esteem & that is only natural, but you have to be proud of what you have accomplished. My fiance is very supportive because he knows our beautiful children are the cause & we wouldn't change it for the world!!!