Why can't I lose weight?

Options
My scale has been lying to me. It's been telling me that I'm losing weight, but when I went to the doctor's office today, her scale said that I gained 1 pound! WTH is going on? I've been exercising, I cut out pretty much all junk food. I haven't eaten cookies, cake, chocolate, ice cream in two weeks. Is it because I keep staying under my calorie goal? Is it because I drink diet soda? I have a hard time giving the soda up. I'm dealing with the chocolate cravings by drinking the soda, believe it or not. I lost weight before doing all of the above, so what's the problem now? I thought maybe it's my sluggish thyroid, but shouldn't my medication be regulating it? I don't get it. I'm very discouraged. What am I supposed to do?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Only look at the number from one scale. If you usually weigh at home use that number. Every scale can and will tell you a different number as there are so many factors.
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Only look at the number from one scale. If you usually weigh at home use that number. Every scale can and will tell you a different number as there are so many factors.

exactly this! and the scale doesn't tell the whole story. measure! get out the good old fashioned tape measure!
  • Squiffie
    Options
    Water retention, under eating, too little water intake, the fact that muscle tissue is denser than fat! Lots of reasons why you might not be losing! Are you weighing out your portions? It's so easy to just add a little extra each time by guessing! It's tough at times but try not to get down about it as it won't help, maybe a big loss is right around the corner!!
  • allnewskinnyme
    allnewskinnyme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the posts above. I thought I'd try out the scales at the gym and there was a 7 pound difference compared to my ones at home! Using the same scales to record weight loss gives you consistency. And if you're lighter at home...Fab!
  • sheystar
    Options
    your weight fluctuates throughout the day. your clothes also are a factor when stepping on the scale. there are other more factors, so it's pretty normal to have different results, don't panic. :)
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well it could also be that at the Dr office you weighed with clothes on I'm assuming and home your not? I know my Dr office I even weigh in with shoes on. Other than that just what others said, different scales=different results.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so can't really give you any ideas...Maybe open it?
  • sandhillcrane
    Options

exactly this! and the scale doesn't tell the whole story. measure! get out the good old fashioned tape measure!

ditto! :flowerforyou:
  • ready2beme
    ready2beme Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to find out (if you've been to that dr. before) what your previous weight there was?? That would give you a clearer picture of weight loss. other than that, I agree that it was just a difference .in scales
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit... you WILL lose weight. Hang in there. It might not show up on that scale because you wore a heavier set of clothing, or drank a large coffee or ate a denser breakfast, you know... just temporary, not long term. If you follow the plan you will lose weight. If your scale is showing a loss, you lost. Oh yes, it also could be just a fluctuation in the time of month you weighed compared to last time.... or maybe the amount of salt you consumed within the last three days (takes 3 days to get out of your system). Don't worry. If you hang in there... it works.

I've lost over 100 pounds... believe me, I have been up and down and it just doesn't matter as long as you follow the plan. Soon you will see that up or down, you eventually make it to your goals.

Don't get discouraged... it'll work. :-)
  • tmbusby
    Options
    It seriously could be the pop. Even diet is carbonated and can cause water retention, which in turn causes weight gain...so the fact that they boast zero calories and zero anything is quite misleading and sometimes even dangerous. I switched to tea. Unsweetened, however if you like it sweetened Stevia is an all natural alternative to other cancer causing artificial substitutes. And....as someone else stated, the doctor's scales could be higher due to the fact you had your clothes on and more than likely are a better scale so more accurate. Don't get discouraged. Go by your own scale and use the doctor's scale as a check. If your scale says you weigh x amount and the next time it is down five...and your doc's scale is also down by five...then you lost five pounds!! No matter what scale you weigh on...consistancy is the key. And always weigh at the same time every day...the best is in the morning, after you go to the bathroom and before you have coffee or breakfast. Sure it will be down more than it really should be...but that is called motivation! Good luck and keep doing what you are doing. Sounds like you are working hard and it will not and cannot go unrewarded if you keep it up!