Protein Powder - What's your favorite brand & flavor?

Options
Hi everyone!

After spending an ungodly amount of money on two huge tubs of protein powder yesterday at GNC, I thought I'd ask people what kind of powder they like to use (brand, type, flavor). I'm looking for something that's a protein isolate, good with just plain water and also good in shakes. I usually only go for 1 scoop (my current one has 20g/scoop). Something under the 100 cal/scoop mark would be ideal.

So, what's your favorite? How much is it and where do you purchase it from?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tfahn
    tfahn Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard and I get it from GNC or online from a bunch of different places. I really like the banana creme flavor and also the Strawberry, I think they taste really good with just water but are even better with some milk. They are about 120 caloreies per scoop but you get 24 grams of protein from it. Just ordered the Chocolate malt flavor this week, can't wait to try it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have tried almost every one - seriously! In my professional opinion you are better off buying a vanilla flavor and adding your flavoring whether that be fruit, chocolate, etc.

My fav is EAS 100% Whey Vanilla.

EAS-100-Whey-Protein-Supplement-Vanilla-5lbs_.jpg
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    Right now I have Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein in Chocolate. Taste pretty good when mixed with milk. Water is ok. Kind of chalky at the bottom but not to bad. Plus it is cheap $14 for 2 pounds at Wal-Mart.

I might try the Optimum Nutrition Gold next time. I have been seen a lot of great reviews on it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Based just on taste

Trutein
    XF Ultra Peptide 2.0
    Myofusion

I always will shop online and find who has it the cheapest, 5lb tubs of trutein runs around $45, myofusion a little less and XF comes in 2.2lb tubs for around $25
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Based strictly on taste? GNC Amp 60 chocolate
    Favorite overall? ON Pro Complex
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When I did the maths (which was quite a while ago now) I found that nutrisport +90 worked out the cheapest per g of protein versus cals. Or put it another way it was the most protein for the least cals and cost. At the time I was specifically looking for th lowest cals I could get whilst still getting the protein.

Flavour: I've had better, but I knock it back pretty quickly.

It mixes well with water, but tastes smoother with milk.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have tried almost every one - seriously! In my professional opinion you are better off buying a vanilla flavor and adding your flavoring whether that be fruit, chocolate, etc.

My fav is EAS 100% Whey Vanilla.

EAS-100-Whey-Protein-Supplement-Vanilla-5lbs_.jpg
    Agree. I mix with 6 oz water
    Or 4 oz yogurt & some fruit
    $20. At target for 2 lbs or
    5lbs100% Whey Protein - Vanilla....... Subtotal: $37.80 on line @ supplement warehouse
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    EliteXT from Vitamin Shoppe, never buy anything from GNC rip off!!
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I have tried a lot over the last few months, right now I am drinking Syntrax - Whey Protein-Matrix 2.0- strawberry. It taste really good to me.(I had been drinking a strawberry soy protein right before this so it may be why I like this one so much.)
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    I use "Garden of Life RAW Protein." It's a raw,vegan, protein powder made from sprouted veggies without a soy overload. It also has live probiotics and other good nutrients. It's also low on the glycmic index and only 80 calories/scoop with 17g protein.

Cons: Not as bio available as whey protein isolate and the texture is pretty gritty. I mix mine with a little frozen fruit and almond milk (banana is the best).

But its dairy free, no soy, and packed for nutrients. It's also a raw food so it will help a lot of people with special diets :D

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/FoundationalNutrition/RAWProtein/tabid/1894/Default.aspx
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Defense Nutrition - Warrior Whey (i used the plain)

I mixed it this morning with water, chocolate PB2, and 4 ounces of unsweetened almond milk and it was actually pretty good.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I buy Cytosport 100% Whey from Costco - both Chocolate and Vanilla for the Value. However, I think Optimum Nutrition makes the best. Especially, for baking use.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    PhD Diet whey is nice and maxitone definity mixed into porridge is OK...both very pricey. Its ridiculous!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    they should create a protein drink in beer form
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump-ity-bump

Right now I'm using Trader Joe's Chocolate Whey protein powder. It's... okay. I need to add Ovaltine before I can drink it, which isn't ideal :tongue:
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Muscle milk, big *kitten* bag from Costco. Tastes pretty good with water and disolves well even if you don't have a blender handy.

Favorite mix (for dessert):
    1 scoop chocolate
    4 oz coconut milk
    1/4 banana
    4 oz water
    1 teaspoon baking cocoa

If for meal replacement will add an extra scoop of protein.
  • star7092
    Options
    Right now I have Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein in Chocolate. Taste pretty good when mixed with milk. Water is ok. Kind of chalky at the bottom but not to bad. Plus it is cheap $14 for 2 pounds at Wal-Mart.

I might try the Optimum Nutrition Gold next time. I have been seen a lot of great reviews on it.

I use the same but with vanilla to add in mixed fruit.:) yum
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I use GNC wheybolic AMP pro 60. Chocolate with some pb2, almond milk, and a banana. Yum
    Got it because of a promotional deal. I'll probably go back to optimum nutrition next because the banana one is delicious.
    I bought the crappy 14 dollar one (body fortress whey) from walmart because I'm poor and tried to save a buck... It's awful and doesn't dissolve without a blender. Don't do it. It's full of TVP and fillers too.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few different ones and I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey. I've tried the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and think all three taste pretty good. I order mine from Amazon ... it may not be the cheapest around, but I think it's one of the best tasting and I like that it's all natural.